U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 27,450 times

Advertisements

I read on a cost of living comparison website that utilities in Mpls are above the national average. I would assume this has a lot to do with the duration/intensity of your winters. Any information on this would be helpful; currently in Richmond, VA I pay around $90 a month for combined water/sewer/trash pickup/recycling. I grew up in a rural suburb where the cost was about half this, so I feel like I'm getting robbed every month!

My heat/ac is electric and this bill varies widely: as high as $298/month in "winter" (Our older homes were built to be cooling-efficient; unfortunately the fireplaces in every! room concept for winter would be impractical, even if they still worked. Fortunately what we call winter only lasts from January - February.), as low as $80/month or less spring and fall. (For us that's March - May and Oct. - Nov.) Our power co. offers an option where you can average your monthly cost to make it less erratic, but I haven't tried this.

Also would be interested in same info about St. Paul, if different. Thanks again for all the comments on my last post; everyone has been quite helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,769,460 times
Our highest gas bill last year was about $250, our highest electric bill in the summer was about $300 but that was in a month of 90° temps for most of the month and we have 2 ponds running in the summer months. Without the ponds and warm temps our electric bill is around $100. Our water bill is about $30/quarterly. Our garbage bill is $45/quarterly but that includes unlimited recycling and unlimited yard waste pick-up. These are about double what our old house was in SW Minnesota though so it was a bit of a shocker here. Our gas bills in the summer run about $40 for gas water heater and gas dryer. Our old really bad heating bills come in Jan, Feb, March.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,994,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpoet View Post
Our power co. offers an option where you can average your monthly cost to make it less erratic, but I haven't tried this.
Natural Gas companies in MN will do this for people that don't like or can't handle the sudden large heating bill during winter months. I haven't tried it though.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,790,397 times
It's called the budget plan and works very very well for me, at least! No surprises each month and not that much of a catch-up bill at the end of the year.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 21,591 times
I live about 1.2 hrs south of the St. Paul in a little town near Rochester called Byron. My water/sewer bill averages $60/month and my trash/recycle is $31/month. This seems to be roughly the same as your in the big city, and yes on average it is high for the US. My electric is "even-pay" so that is $85 a month and my largest gas bill last year in January was $246. Summer months gas is $25-35/month.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:44 AM

8,342 posts, read 24,241,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Natural Gas companies in MN will do this for people that don't like or can't handle the sudden large heating bill during winter months. I haven't tried it though.
I looked into this with Minnegasco and it didn't seem like it was worth it. Granted, your bill will be much lower in the winter months (as compared to if you weren't on the program) but, it will also be much higher during the rest of the year (as compared to if you weren't on the program) to make up for it.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,622,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I looked into this with Minnegasco and it didn't seem like it was worth it. Granted, your bill will be much lower in the winter months (as compared to if you weren't on the program) but, it will also be much higher during the rest of the year (as compared to if you weren't on the program) to make up for it.
I do that down here just so the payments are predictable and thus more easily automated.

For MN readers ... yes, we heat houses in the Atlanta metro as well. Our coldest day this year so far has been Jan 3rd (High 41 F, low 16 F) and it got down to 19F yesterday (readings from the smaller Atlanta Fulton airport just south of me).

The first year, natural gas prices down here rose down here enough so that I ended up saving some money because of that program. This year, that isn't the case, but I'm not that worried.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 28,269 times
Default gas bill 3600 sq ft

we just got are bill for 2008 from dec 15 to jan 15 it was 101.00 for gas heating a 3600sqft but we have a efficient house. But it has been in the negatives a couple of weeks so this will be the big gas bill month for everyone.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 AM

284 posts, read 1,613,159 times
This month's gas bill is $296, but my payment with the budget plan is $88. I'll gladly pay that amount year-round. I don't like surprises when it comes to my monthly expenses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul