Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 AM

29 posts, read 30,199 times

Advertisements

We moved to MG two years ago really knowing nothing of MN and going off of schools. We have been so disappointed. We will be in MN for the long term but would like to find a different area. We have elementary school age kids so good safe schools and areas are a must. We find MG pretentious and very backwards in peoples thinking. It is also has a very racially divided feeling. The parents seem to want to be more friends with their kids and we feel there is a lot of showing off money wise. We don't know much about MN but I find it hard to believe there aren't areas that are more progressive in there thinking and more welcoming and also less of the fake MN nice and just more real. We work in the Eden Prairie area and downtown so closer to work would be great too. I would welcome any helpful ideas thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM

126 posts, read 243,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtomakeit14 View Post
We moved to MG two years ago really knowing nothing of MN and going off of schools. We have been so disappointed. We will be in MN for the long term but would like to find a different area. We have elementary school age kids so good safe schools and areas are a must. We find MG pretentious and very backwards in peoples thinking. It is also has a very racially divided feeling. The parents seem to want to be more friends with their kids and we feel there is a lot of showing off money wise. We don't know much about MN but I find it hard to believe there aren't areas that are more progressive in there thinking and more welcoming and also less of the fake MN nice and just more real. We work in the Eden Prairie area and downtown so closer to work would be great too. I would welcome any helpful ideas thank you
Have you considered St. Louis Park or Golden Valley? It sounds to me like one of the suburbs closer in might have more of the atmospehere, and type of neighbors you are looking for.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Thank you we do seem to be steering more towards Golden Valley. It seems if you stay in the Hopkins school district you are ok. At least that's what we have been told. I have also heard living in the city is good but there are specific areas and it seems to me most people do private school then? Thanks for the idea of GV it seems to get pretty good reviews

Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM

126 posts, read 243,515 times
Quote:
Thank you we do seem to be steering more towards Golden Valley. It seems if you stay in the Hopkins school district you are ok. At least that's what we have been told. I have also heard living in the city is good but there are specific areas and it seems to me most people do private school then? Thanks for the idea of GV it seems to get pretty good reviews
Hopkins schools are good. If you are in Southwest Minneapolis the schools are pretty good, but I'm thinking the commute to Eden Prairie might not be fun from there. Open enrollment into a suburban district might also be an option depending on where you live.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much I wasn't even thinking of the open enrollment option. You have been so helpful!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,758,582 times
Good to know. We REALLY liked Maple Grove when we visited and have it ranked fairly high on our list but the last thing we need is another pretentious area to live in. We're coming from North Scottsdale so I doubt anything could be much worse than here but yuck if that's how MG is I think we will reconsider... Good luck in your searching!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,081,847 times
Interesting. I've never heard Maple Grove classified as pretentious before. The north metro tends to be a bit blue collar, but not generally in the Maple Grove area.

You won't like Eden Prairie either, or any of the west suburbs along 494. You may want to look further out into place like Delano where they tend to be a bit more down to earth.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM

298 posts, read 746,209 times
Maple Grove is not a blue collar suburb and is nothing like the rest of the north metro; it was so back in its rural days the 1970's and 80's before they filled-in the gravel pits, much as has been done in Apple Valley, to build Grove Square, Maple Grove Crossing and now Arbor Lakes. Maple Grove is truly a western suburb in that its demographics are almost identical to its neighbor Plymouth , Minnetonka , Eden Prairie , Chaska , Chanhassen etc.

If you're looking to stay in the northwest metro, communities such as: Osseo , Champlin , Brooklyn Park , New Hope , Crystal which will be more blue collar and less "arrogant". Since you work in Eden Prairie, going south of the Minnesota River to Shakopee maybe a good move. Shakopee has residents of all income levels otherwise maybe Bloomington or Richfield. Otherwise, if you want to stay in the west metro you may need to go further out to Glencoe , Hutchinson , Watertown , or the suburbs in Wright County .

The neighborhoods of inner-city Southwest Minneapolis , Edina and most west-southwest suburban communities are going to be far-more "pretentious" -or- "pompous" "self-righteous" in your opinion than Maple Grove as they are even more white collar, professional class and have even greater wealth.

As far as the North Scottsdale reference, there are a few people, and I do mean a small few who do believe they are smarter and wealthier than those in North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek.

Knowing which part of the country you've lived in previous to relocating to Maple Grove may assist some of the poster's in helping your family find a Twin Cities community more to your liking. Best of luck.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,081,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Maple Grove is not a blue collar suburb and is nothing like the rest of the north metro; it was so back in its rural days the 1970's and 80's before they filled-in the gravel pits, much as has been done in Apple Valley, to build Grove Square, Maple Grove Crossing and now Arbor Lakes. Maple Grove is truly a western suburb in that its demographics are almost identical to its neighbor Plymouth , Minnetonka , Eden Prairie , Chaska , Chanhassen etc.

If you're looking to stay in the northwest metro, communities such as: Osseo , Champlin , Brooklyn Park , New Hope , Crystal which will be more blue collar and less "arrogant". Since you work in Eden Prairie, going south of the Minnesota River to Shakopee maybe a good move. Shakopee has residents of all income levels otherwise maybe Bloomington or Richfield. Otherwise, if you want to stay in the west metro you may need to go further out to Glencoe , Hutchinson , Watertown , or the suburbs in Wright County .

The neighborhoods of inner-city Southwest Minneapolis , Edina and most west-southwest suburban communities are going to be far-more "pretentious" -or- "pompous" "self-righteous" in your opinion than Maple Grove as they are even more white collar, professional class and have even greater wealth.

As far as the North Scottsdale reference, there are a few people, and I do mean a small few who do believe they are smarter and wealthier than those in North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek.

Knowing which part of the country you've lived in previous to relocating to Maple Grove may assist some of the poster's in helping your family find a Twin Cities community more to your liking. Best of luck.
That is pretty much what I said....

Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM

951 posts, read 1,133,992 times
Quote:
I'm Asian, married, late 30's and we have a 4 year old. We've been living in MG now for two years. We used to live in Brooklyn Park, but technically, we are familiar with Maple Grove for at least 9 years now. We moved from BP to MG because MG is a much nicer city to raise your family. I'm Asian, so I'm very sensitive to moving into an area that does not welcome diversity. Although MG looks like it's 95% white here, at least the white folks here haven't treated or looked at us any different. My husband grew up in Forest Lake and he had a hard time growing up there with a lot of racism and ignorant people. Fortunately, we agreed that we haven't felt threatened or unwelcomed in the city of MG. Actually, MG has the nicest people we've been around with. I forgot my wallet in the cart and it was returned to me with everything in it. We accidently left our garage opened for hours and don't think anything was taken. While Brooklyn Park had more diversity, it was filthy, people are rude, our bikes got stolen from our garage, windows got broken twice, and we couldn't even go out walking in our neighborhood because there are hardly any sidewalks and we would probably get run over by rude drivers.

What we noticed about MG is that the city spends its money well. Parks and roads are clean, there are sidewalks everywhere, and we have the best bus transit system I have seen (I have only used BP, St. Paul and Mpls). Even people on the bus have manners. There are wealthy people in MG, but I do not feel uncomfortable here as I would if I was in Edina or in the Southern Twin Cities area. Now, those people are pretentious. Even in Woodbury, I feel uncomfortable there. Not because of wealth, but because of the way they look at us.

So far, we love the city of MG and plan on staying here. There are lots of young families here and everyone seems to stay out of trouble. Hope it stays this way.

Last edited by AhRainess; 11-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: paragraph structure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul