Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times

Advertisements

My 23 (almost 24) year old daughter relocated a few months ago to Minneapolis for a good job. Loves the metro area and where she lives (uptown). But she would really like to meet a good, single young professional guy for friendship/dating.
She has tried the internet thing (like e-harmony) with bad results, and had a go at a "speed dating" event which also left her with a bad impression.
She is nice-looking, outgoing, and would love to have some suggestions of nice bars, coffee houses, or other social-gathering/fun type places where she could meet some nice young guys... rather than drunks, punks, and the like.
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
My sister met her husband at Liquor Lyle's.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I'd hesitate to make any suggestions to a mid-20 year old's mom . She should probably be looking herself. Does she have any co-workers her age? Maybe join a church or a civic group?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
My 23 (almost 24) year old daughter relocated a few months ago to Minneapolis for a good job. Loves the metro area and where she lives (uptown). But she would really like to meet a good, single young professional guy for friendship/dating.
She has tried the internet thing (like e-harmony) with bad results, and had a go at a "speed dating" event which also left her with a bad impression.
She is nice-looking, outgoing, and would love to have some suggestions of nice bars, coffee houses, or other social-gathering/fun type places where she could meet some nice young guys... rather than drunks, punks, and the like.
Thanks everyone!
Well, somebody wants grandchildren! (I'm just making a joke, btw.)

Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The Wedge Co-op (which is in her part of town) is hosting a speed dating event soon -- my assumption is that it's a pretty different crowd than the more stereotypical speed dating things. It could be fun, or at least a change of pace from the other options out there.

Her best bet is probably going to be through work, or through creating networks of people she meets through work. Depends on how big her company is, though. There are lots and lots of young professionals new to the Twin Cities (lots of them living in Uptown) and all also looking for new friends, so she could try to tap into that. If I were her, I'd work any connections possible and start meeting people casually for coffee -- not just potential dates, but anyone. When a college friend tells her that their former high school friend also lives in Minneapolis, for example, follow up on that and meet up; maybe they'll hit it off, and friendship networks will begin to grow -- and it's through those networks that she's more likely to meet a nice guy than just by hanging out at a bar or coffee house.

Lund's in Uptown also has a reputation -- or at least it did, maybe that is now old advice -- as being a pick-up spot.

Volunteering or otherwise getting involved in the community could also help her make new friends, including, potentially, a boyfriend.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
She should join meetups. There are tons around here, and what is nice is if she doesn't care too much about dating there are women-only meetups. A lot of meetups are mixed company, and sometimes people do end up meeting someone and dating but the environment you meet is more casual and based around interests, so it wouldn't feel contrived.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Thanks everyone!
Want my advice? Tell her to stay the heck away from Coon Rapids, especially the Olive Garden. Way overrated and definitely not a lot of young professionals except for a few professional bread stick makers.

Some good ideas have been mentioned in this thread. I think it's really difficult to force relationships. In my experience they usually happen when you least expect it.

Which part of town does she live near?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
Daniel, the OP says she lives in uptown. You quoted it yourself.

To OP--I would join a club or two. Or a church. The grocery store was also a good suggestion. Or concerts in the area. Intermissions are great for meeting people.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM

If Uptown I would recommend Stella's.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Daniel, the OP says she lives in uptown. You quoted it yourself.

To OP--I would join a club or two. Or a church. The grocery store was also a good suggestion. Or concerts in the area. Intermissions are great for meeting people.
Thanks. Did you like the joke about bread sticks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul