Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
Ok, so a family of two adults, both aged 50, with three children aged 10, 12, and 14, the monthly premium for a $4,000 deductible, $4,000 max out of pocket at Preferred One (which covers 99% of the doctors in the Twin Cities) the monthly premium is $889/month or $10,700/year WITHOUT any subsidy. Blue Cross, Medica, and HealthPartners are similar.

If by "family of 3" you meant one 12 year old child, then the premium for the same plan is $635/month or $7,620/year.

These are outstanding deals.

The fact that the web sites are not working well today will not be an issue in a year. The fact that you can get health coverage without regard for preexisting conditions at competitive rates will benefit you and yours for a lifetime.
I am staring at the new premium right now. I NOW will be paying $2,838.23 next quarter. It normally goes up a $100 a quarter or about $11,700 for next year. This is for BCBS and $4700 max deductible. Last year we paid out $9K (I'm close) in premiums with the same deductible. So the premiums went up $2500. Ages 48, 48, and 22. I live in northern MN so it is about 7% higher for one reason or another. BCBS is a far better choice for northern MN.

So no. That's not an outstanding deal. My rates (like EVERYONE in BCBS) went up a lot. Obama lied (he said my rates would go down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I am staring at the new premium right now. I NOW will be paying $2,838.23 next quarter. It normally goes up a $100 a quarter or about $11,700 for next year. This is for BCBS and $4700 max deductible. Last year we paid out $9K (I'm close) in premiums with the same deductible. So the premiums went up $2500. Ages 48, 48, and 22. I live in northern MN so it is about 7% higher for one reason or another. BCBS is a far better choice for northern MN.

So no. That's not an outstanding deal. My rates (like EVERYONE in BCBS) went up a lot. Obama lied (he said my rates would go down).
Where did he say your rates would go down?

Shop your plans to other companies. BC/BS has always been the most expensive in MN, or at least for the past 15 years or so...and $12,000/year for a family plan is pretty average....

Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Northern MN rates are higher because it costs more to run healthcare operations up there.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Shop your plans to other companies. BC/BS has always been the most expensive in MN, or at least for the past 15 years or so...and $12,000/year for a family plan is pretty average....
Give me some credit. I shopped (and shopped and shopped). Brand A-B- and C are close in price. I also have a place in AZ. BCBS won't charge out of network costs. Hence price, quality, service. Pick 2 of the 3. I am keeping BCBS because I have another home in AZ. Plus, BCBC has better coverage at my closest hospital. Remember what happens when you pick the "cheapest" insurance company. Something usually has to give. I am not the state of MN (think their MNSure website). The "deal" can actually cost you more.

Did you watch the news or the debates? I think I heard him say it at least 50 times peoples rates will go down because of competition and young people entering into the pool (which they are electing to pay the small fees instead), rates are NOT going for the majority of the families by $2500 per family. Mine went up by $2500 and I am not alone. So he missed it by $5K. He lied and he knew it. It was incredibly obvious what was going to happen. See Fighting Premium Spin with More Spin

Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Northern MN rates are higher because it costs more to run healthcare operations up there.

Actually, I go to the Cities for my healthcare. But the big reason is out-state Doc's are refusing to participate in the government controlling their wages. Look at SW MN. According to a BCBS employee, they went way up!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

You seem to know all about this subject so I am surprised you missed this.

"Under the plan, if you like your current health insurance, nothing changes, except your costs will go down by as much as $2,500 per year."

Health Care | Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-19-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You seem to know all about this subject so I am surprised you missed this.
I bet Obama said it 20,000 times over 4 years. See
Obama Promises To Lower Health Insurance Premiums by $2,500 Per Year - YouTube
It would be impossible to miss if you watched any debate or any stump speech.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually, I go to the Cities for my healthcare. But the big reason is out-state Doc's are refusing to participate in the government controlling their wages. Look at SW MN. According to a BCBS employee, they went way up!
The government doesn't control their wages, the HMO they work for does. Very few doctors have had any control over their wages for decades. 70% of doctors are in favor of a single payer system. Most doctors don't want to work outstate because of lifestyle issues. You can't pay graduates of US medical schools enough to move to rural areas, which is why so many J-1 foreign doctors are needed.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
The government doesn't control their wages, the HMO they work for does. Very few doctors have had any control over their wages for decades. 70% of doctors are in favor of a single payer system. Most doctors don't want to work outstate because of lifestyle issues. You can't pay graduates of US medical schools enough to move to rural areas, which is why so many J-1 foreign doctors are needed.
You have incorrectly focused on the word "wages" and narrowed the discussion. Many practices are refusing to accept patients from the plans on the exchanges because the payment rates to the doctors from those plans are too low. This has been an issue for Medicaid patients for a while, but now others at experiencing it. In that context, the previous poster's observation was spot on.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. Some HMO's in SW MN are "not participating". But practices are punting because they foresee a full scale medicare type reimbursement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul