Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know why the state, city of Minneapolis, and Minnesota Vikings didn't like the Farmers Market site? I know its a little more crammed over their but its much closer to the other stadiums, the transportation hub near Target Field being built, and all the entertainment/food options on the Western edge of downtown. To me, Downtown East has always been an odd choice for a stadium downtown because there really is nothing around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
Does anybody know why the state, city of Minneapolis, and Minnesota Vikings didn't like the Farmers Market site? I know its a little more crammed over their but its much closer to the other stadiums, the transportation hub near Target Field being built, and all the entertainment/food options on the Western edge of downtown. To me, Downtown East has always been an odd choice for a stadium downtown because there really is nothing around it.
I think that's the point. The city of Minneapolis wanted to engineer development around Downtown East since The Metrodome failed to achieve that goal. The plan is to seamlessly blend downtown into the West Bank, which requires development on the eastern edges of downtown. The Wells Fargo towers that are planned represent a major step in that direction since they include office space, recreational areas, residential, and retail space. Including the stadium, the area is already slated for about 1.5 Billion dollars in development.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
The Vikings wanted to build in a different location from the Metrodome so that they could continue to use it during construction. The Vikings didn't want to play two or three seasons at the U.

The powers that be in the city never really went for that because there's nothing wrong with where it already is, the supporting infrastructure is already in place, they wouldn't need to pay to move the farmer's market or a number of other businesses, and it answered the question of whether to demolish the Metrodome or continue to operate it for college baseball and other events.

Basically, it would have been more expensive and more disruptive to build anywhere other than the current metrodome site. Frankly, it was common sense vs. a pipe dream.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM

357 posts, read 443,937 times
The Star Tribune used its considerable influence to not only get the stadium built, but to get it built where they would be able to profit from the sale of land.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Well, the dome is history...demo starts soon. Vikings won their last dome game so that is nice.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
The Star Tribune used its considerable influence to not only get the stadium built, but to get it built where they would be able to profit from the sale of land.
You're overstating the newspaper's influence. The land in question lies between the central business district and the West Bank of The U of M. This is prime real estate which was destined to see rapid development once the Metrodome came down.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
While the Strib certainly didn't get in the way of the stadium debate, I think we're overstating the importance the Strib has in shaping policy and development. Does anyone actually believe that had the Strib been neutral on the issue that this wouldn't have been built?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM

357 posts, read 443,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
While the Strib certainly didn't get in the way of the stadium debate, I think we're overstating the importance the Strib has in shaping policy and development. Does anyone actually believe that had the Strib been neutral on the issue that this wouldn't have been built?
The Strib was extremely biased in its support of the stadium which was opposed by a clear majority of anyone asked to pay for it. Had they been neutral, I think it's very possible the stadium issue would still be under discussion. Still, the powerful moneyed people who run the state wanted it and in they end, they get what they want.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
The Strib was extremely biased in its support of the stadium which was opposed by a clear majority of anyone asked to pay for it. Had they been neutral, I think it's very possible the stadium issue would still be under discussion. Still, the powerful moneyed people who run the state wanted it and in they end, they get what they want.
As someone who studied journalism in college, I would love for papers like the Strib to have as much power as you claim they do.

But if their bias was so obvious, why didn't everyone see through it?

People seem to forget that when discussion got serious about a new Viking's stadium, the Metrodome site was pretty near the bottom of the list. Arden Hills was the de rigueur option. It wasn't until it fell through with funding that the Metrodome site really took over, and by then it was pretty obvious we were serious about the Vikings getting a new stadium.

The Strib is a great scapegoat, especially for people who already don't like it. But the fact is that if the powers that be want to get something done, they don't need a newspaper to accomplish that.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
all true...Sid Hartman is the Great and Powerful Oz!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul