Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 19,351 times

Advertisements

What about the Payne-Phalen neighborhood? Wow, houses are cheap, and I keep reading things like this: St. Paul's next hot neighborhood? Put your money on Payne Avenue | MinnPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverchance View Post
What about the Payne-Phalen neighborhood? Wow, houses are cheap, and I keep reading things like this: St. Paul's next hot neighborhood? Put your money on Payne Avenue | MinnPost
The "next hot neighborhood'' thing is pretty speculative and should be taken with a grain of salt. West 7th is also known as an up & coming, but still affordable, area. I live in an area similar to Payne-Phalen in St. Paul called North End, which was named "best undiscovered neighborhood" by City Pages a year or two back, but it didn't mean anything.

A lot of people would warn you away from Payne-Phalen because of it's rep as one of the high-crime areas of St. Paul. It was also hit especially hard by the foreclosure crisis a few years ago, so it's definitely affordable - homes can be found for well under $150k, even under $100k.

It's a pretty big area and the oldest parts have a gritty, rust-belt feel. There are some redevelopment projects happening, like the old Hamm's Brewery. Plenty of old-school businesses, probably no co-ops, but I think there are some community-based urban farm projects - plus you wouldn't be too far from Lowertown farmer's market.

The best thing would be to visit and check these neighborhoods out for yourself.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Payne-Phalen has housing deals but it doesn't fit the other criteria very well. (neither does West 7th, for that matter) Personally, I would choose to live in the suburbs before either of those neighborhoods, and I'm not really a suburban guy.

St. Paul in general is not as bike friendly as Minneapolis, if that is a major criteria. I've never had too much of a problem riding on the side streets, though.

Much of it has to do with where you are going to work (obviously). I do not care much for the commute from near downtown St. Paul into Minneapolis. It's not that far of a distance, but traffic on I-94 and 36W is stop and go during rush hour, and afternoon rush seems to start very early. The alternate routes are not much better. I would go bonkers if I had to deal with that on a daily basis.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 19,351 times
We're definitely going to make a few visits this year to visit all of these places. I expect we'd probably rent for a while too before we bought anything.

My impression (could be wrong) is that "high crime" in St Paul probably still isn't that much crime. I currently live in a neighborhood that was considered sketchy 15-20 years ago but is not like that at all now. But old-timers here still occasionally look at me like I'm dodging bullets or something living here, even though that's a completely outdated point of view. So a bad reputation is something I'm willing to take with at least part of a grain of salt. Still, obviously I will research crime rates along with everything else.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
We're definitely going to make a few visits this year to visit all of these places. I expect we'd probably rent for a while too before we bought anything.

My impression (could be wrong) is that "high crime" in St Paul probably still isn't that much crime. I currently live in a neighborhood that was considered sketchy 15-20 years ago but is not like that at all now. But old-timers here still occasionally look at me like I'm dodging bullets or something living here, even though that's a completely outdated point of view. So a bad reputation is something I'm willing to take with at least part of a grain of salt. Still, obviously I will research crime rates along with everything else.
There are plenty of areas in St. Paul and Minneapolis that are high crime areas, maybe not murder but rape, muggings, assaults along with various property crimes. Payne/Phalen isn't an area you want to be in after dark alone that is for sure. Maybe if you are 6'5" 380 ok.... Other areas you see a lot of property crime and if you are ok with that, whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 13,113 times
Quote:
- I'd look at Newell Park which I think is a hidden gem of a neighborhood/park & just on the other side of University Ave from Merriam park. Being on the Light Rail (that opens in Spring 2014) will mean it's relatively close to the U of M and both Downtowns as well as walking distance to a multitude of different ethnic restaurants, shopping and the Turf Club (St Paul's top live music club.).
Mason 3000 is right. I live in the Newell Park neighborhood (three blocks from the park itself) and it is the finest neighborhood in all of MSP that no one has ever heard of. It's a beautiful little nook that is near everything you are asking for. The only problem is that the area itself is rather small and from what I have heard, it can be difficult to find places. Maybe once people move in, they just don't move out? I don't know. Although other posters have listed tons of great neighborhoods that would be great and would suit your needs just fine, this one is especially great. I will admit that the areas surrounding the neighborhood aren't the most attractive. There's Snelling Avenue to the east, which can get kind of seedy, rail yards to the north on the other side of Pierce Butler, and industrial blocks chalked full of businesses to the west. It sounds like you guys aren't too worried about things like that though. I personally find it kind of interesting living in such an odd area. Besides, development is beginning to happen and I believe they are making an effort to make the area more neighborhood friendly. I recently read that a brewery and a mini golf course (!!!) will begin occupancy in an old factory immediately to the west of my neighborhood. That should be fun for all.

The real reason I am even bothering posting is because my neighborhood has most, if not all, of the things you were hoping to have, which is why I am telling you to double your efforts and try and find a place in the area. I walk to the train to go to my job in downtown Minneapolis everyday. Don't feel like walking to the train stop? The Fairview Avenue stop has a FREE lot right next to it. I believe it belongs to the Goodwill that is right there, but it is occupied by park-and-riders everyday. You can also use this train to get to either downtown or to one of the many great spots in between. It is my ride to work and to fun. You're right around the corner from, as one poster mentioned, the Turf Club, which is one of MSP's finest music clubs. You are also right around the corner from tons of fine ethnic restaurants, Ginkgo Coffee, odd shops, and two public libraries (The Hamline-Midway library and the Merriam Park library, which isn't too far of a jaunt on the other side of University Avenue). Newell Park is old and BEAUTIFUL. It's great for kids and adults alike. The area is also incredibly diverse. The long, sticky fingers of gentrification haven't touched a hair on this neighborhood's head.

The crown jewel for me, however, is the Hampden Park Co-op. Located on the east side of St. Anthony Park (another St. Paul neighborhood immediately to the west of Newell Park that you should definitely check out!), it is incredibly nearby. You mentioned that you don't want to take your car out more than once or twice a week. Well I generally follow the same rule. I'll take it to the co-op once a week and stock up, but driving there isn't entirely necessary. With the light rail there and/or some planning on your part in regard to the bus lines, you could do it and there would be very little hassle. I do it all of the time. Plus, Hampden Park Co-op is (I believe) the only VOLUNTEER-RUN co-op in MSP. They have a dedicated staff, but there is a large cast of volunteers that come in, stock the shelves and clean up a bit, and are rewarded with a very nice food discount in exchange. When I moved into the neighborhood, it was also a great way to meet new friends/like minded acquaintances. It's hard to explain the geography of all of this, but if you search for Newell Park and Hampden Park Co-op on Google Maps, you will see that they are a hop, skip, and a jump away from one another with all of that goodness in between and in the immediate vicinity. The neighborhood has everything that you want when it comes to city life, but you get to live in a very quiet, family oriented neighborhood. You should check it out! Neighborhood boasting over.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:42 PM

200 posts, read 600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonloon View Post
Mason 3000 is right. I live in the Newell Park neighborhood (three blocks from the park itself) and it is the finest neighborhood in all of MSP that no one has ever heard of. It's a beautiful little nook that is near everything you are asking for. The only problem is that the area itself is rather small and from what I have heard, it can be difficult to find places. Maybe once people move in, they just don't move out? I don't know. Although other posters have listed tons of great neighborhoods that would be great and would suit your needs just fine, this one is especially great. I will admit that the areas surrounding the neighborhood aren't the most attractive. There's Snelling Avenue to the east, which can get kind of seedy, rail yards to the north on the other side of Pierce Butler, and industrial blocks chalked full of businesses to the west. It sounds like you guys aren't too worried about things like that though. I personally find it kind of interesting living in such an odd area. Besides, development is beginning to happen and I believe they are making an effort to make the area more neighborhood friendly. I recently read that a brewery and a mini golf course (!!!) will begin occupancy in an old factory immediately to the west of my neighborhood. That should be fun for all.

The real reason I am even bothering posting is because my neighborhood has most, if not all, of the things you were hoping to have, which is why I am telling you to double your efforts and try and find a place in the area. I walk to the train to go to my job in downtown Minneapolis everyday. Don't feel like walking to the train stop? The Fairview Avenue stop has a FREE lot right next to it. I believe it belongs to the Goodwill that is right there, but it is occupied by park-and-riders everyday. You can also use this train to get to either downtown or to one of the many great spots in between. It is my ride to work and to fun. You're right around the corner from, as one poster mentioned, the Turf Club, which is one of MSP's finest music clubs. You are also right around the corner from tons of fine ethnic restaurants, Ginkgo Coffee, odd shops, and two public libraries (The Hamline-Midway library and the Merriam Park library, which isn't too far of a jaunt on the other side of University Avenue). Newell Park is old and BEAUTIFUL. It's great for kids and adults alike. The area is also incredibly diverse. The long, sticky fingers of gentrification haven't touched a hair on this neighborhood's head.

The crown jewel for me, however, is the Hampden Park Co-op. Located on the east side of St. Anthony Park (another St. Paul neighborhood immediately to the west of Newell Park that you should definitely check out!), it is incredibly nearby. You mentioned that you don't want to take your car out more than once or twice a week. Well I generally follow the same rule. I'll take it to the co-op once a week and stock up, but driving there isn't entirely necessary. With the light rail there and/or some planning on your part in regard to the bus lines, you could do it and there would be very little hassle. I do it all of the time. Plus, Hampden Park Co-op is (I believe) the only VOLUNTEER-RUN co-op in MSP. They have a dedicated staff, but there is a large cast of volunteers that come in, stock the shelves and clean up a bit, and are rewarded with a very nice food discount in exchange. When I moved into the neighborhood, it was also a great way to meet new friends/like minded acquaintances. It's hard to explain the geography of all of this, but if you search for Newell Park and Hampden Park Co-op on Google Maps, you will see that they are a hop, skip, and a jump away from one another with all of that goodness in between and in the immediate vicinity. The neighborhood has everything that you want when it comes to city life, but you get to live in a very quiet, family oriented neighborhood. You should check it out! Neighborhood boasting over.

Definitely agree. I used to live in "Newell Park" years ago and I liked it a lot. I love that it's a mix of industrial and residential but quiet. Also convenient to many bus lines, light rail and amenities. I think Newell Park will be a high-demand area in the future.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Try looking in the Dayton's Bluff neighborhood in st paul. There are some amazing old houses there, its rich in history, and it seems to be gentrifying. Plus, it will probably be white/i mean arty enough for you.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM

182 posts, read 197,421 times
West Seventh/Little Bohemia in Saint Paul. As for schools, Linwood/Monroe has an arts focus and there is always Capital Hill if you can get in (long wait list). I love Saint Paul, but sadly I have to say that the more obvious desirable areas are largely unaffordable. I think West Seventh sound like what you are describing.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 AM

11 posts, read 41,331 times
Quote:

I just moved to the area and I/we like it here. I wrote a whole post about the Payne Phalen neighborhood based on my experience. I will post the link. I feel like there are a lot of people writing about this area that don't actually live here... which sucks. Someone wrote on the thread mentioning there isn't a Co-op, but there will be.... it's the Mississippi Market and it's opening this fall (2015) on 7th street. Yes, there are a lot of super cheap homes and commercial buildings. I'm actually trying to purchase a commercial building at the moment. Hopefully the link below is helpful. Feel free to message me if you like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...xperience.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul