Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 19,343 times

Advertisements

I've read many many threads here about best neighborhoods in the TC. However, I think what we're looking for may be a little different than what many people seem to be looking for. We're two artists with 2 kids so our budget is limited, but we also are willing -- even happy -- to live in a house other people might not think is "nice" enough.

We want a 3 or 4-bed house with a large yard (for gardening and chickens) under 200K that is hopefully in the vicinity of one of the public Montessori, gifted/talented, and/or arts public schools (we need both elementary and middle/high). Can maybe go to $225K but it would be a stretch we'd prefer to avoid, as we are trying to live on one $45,000 income and save the rest.

We don't care if the house has cherry cabinets and stainless appliances, in fact we'd prefer if it had the old 1930s cast iron kitchen sink, original battered woodwork, and old wooden floors (even if the floors are under some awful 1980s carpet) than some slapped-together cosmetic "renovation." (I actually see a fair number of 2-families that meet our criteria, since they don't get renovated -- definitely open to these too, either as landlords or as one big house for us that would then include office/studio space.)

We also want to be able to walk, bike, or take public transit as much as possible for groceries (preferably food co-op), hardware store, post office, etc. Walking distance for us is within 6-10 blocks or so. Biking could be a couple of miles or more IF it's on bike trails isolated from traffic.

Doing Trulia searches has given me lots of ideas already, but I am curious to see what people suggest here. I have been a little confused by the repeated assertion on these boards that you can't get anything decent for under $400K in the TC, because my searches seem to reveal dozens and dozens of properties in or near neighborhoods like Seward, Longfellow, Lake Harriet under $250K -- even under $200K -- that look perfectly fine to me. Open to either Minneapolis or St. Paul. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Whittier, Merriem Park, Seward, Longfellow, Nordeast. Will be hard to get a "large" yard, though. You will have to compromise on location or size to get it under 200K. 200K-250K is more realistic. I mostly mention these neighborhoods because they are where artists tend to live. My favorite of the bunch is Seward, but Merriem Park is more quaint.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Are you set on Minneapolis or St. Paul. You really might want to look at Northfield.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 19,343 times
Not set on TC if there is another place nearby with easy access....What's good about Northfield?

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverchance View Post
Not set on TC if there is another place nearby with easy access....What's good about Northfield?
Very artsy, less expensive than MSP, walk everywhere in town, good schools, easy access to two top notch colleges...and safer then most areas you would end up in Minneapolis or St. Paul in your price range.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
Stillwater could work for you as well. Victorian homes, food coop, artists and writers abound, very pretty, quaint. 30 min from Mpls, 20 from St. Paul. Excellent schools. Montessori school within easy driving distance.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Whittier, Merriem Park, Seward, Longfellow, Nordeast. Will be hard to get a "large" yard, though. You will have to compromise on location or size to get it under 200K. 200K-250K is more realistic. I mostly mention these neighborhoods because they are where artists tend to live. My favorite of the bunch is Seward, but Merriem Park is more quaint.
Sounds like you want kind of a gritty urban feel. If so, this comment is spot on. Here's a school idea for you.

https://sites.google.com/a/wmep.k12.mn.us/fair/

Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Rzzz's suggestion is good.
I personally dont understand Whats so great about places like Northfield or hastings. Im in New Hope/Crystal, its affordable, nothing fancy. Probably Boring and lackluster compared to Mpls/St Paul but its affordable and safe, and older(which I actually like and prefer) and Your not on the edge of the metro like you are with Northfield or Stillwater.

You dont really have to worry about Crime honestly, especially where rzzz suggested.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM

126 posts, read 244,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Sounds like you want kind of a gritty urban feel. If so, this comment is spot on. Here's a school idea for you.

https://sites.google.com/a/wmep.k12.mn.us/fair/
My sons both went to FAIR for middle school. I was very happy with the education they received there, the school has good academic test scores overall and the arts curriculum is integrated with the academic programs.

My older son also went to Perpich. Perpitch is a statewide arts school for high school juniors and seniors. Competition for some of the programs is pretty competitive, but if you kids are really interested in the arts it's a top notch program. The school is located in Golden Valley on Highway 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul