Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:58 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,741 times

Advertisements

According to the Census Bureau, Minneapolis has gained 10,000 since the 2010 census, putting it at almost 393,000! I bet it will pass the 400K mark this year if it hasn't already. St. Paul is also growing.
American FactFinder - Results *

Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,431,779 times
There are plenty of new residential developments that are going to be ready later this year to boost it (further?) over that mark.

Still, some trends need to be addressed like North's severe population decline including a tract of Hawthorne that lost %33 from 2000-2010 and others around %20: there's really no good reason to allow the area to be dumping grounds for ne'er-do-wells, let the suburbs pick up their share.

Then you have a couple that leave you scratching your head, like why did a good chunk of St Anthony West lose %18 of its residents (mostly quiet single-family homes) and half of Whittier from Franklin to 26th lose around %13 with Eat Street there? These aren't exactly undesirable areas and 26th & Nicollet has in the past few years become the epicenter of Eat Street with all of the new spots that have chosen to open up on or next to this intersection (Little T's, Glam Doll Donuts, Icehouse, Buddha Kitchen, Eat Street Social), so will this help stabilize the neighborhood's population? It would probably be a good idea for the city to look into why places like this saw an over %10 drop in population. I love Whittier and would have no issue living there if my commute to the burbs wasn't already far enough away. In contrast you have Phillips, which many think of as the South's version of North, seeing minimal losses and the densest tract saw a %16 increase despite not much new on the surface making the area much more desirable.

Overall though, we definitely need to do a better job making sure desirable neighborhoods stay that way, sway others in the right direction if they're on the fence and stabilize areas that are in decline otherwise if we only look to Downtown and Uptown for high growth numbers then we're severely limiting ourselves. Mpls did grow between 1990-2013 but only by 25,000 whereas cities like Portland and Seattle grew during that same time period by 170,000 and 120,000 respectively. We're doing better than other Midwestern cities our size or larger, but since the above listed cities are our competition and not the Midwest we have to step up our game and you'll notice that they aren't setting aside a whole quarter of their cities to be breeding grounds for criminals and took care to ensure that as many neighborhoods as possible grew.

I think the biggest untapped source for growth is around the light-rail stations outside of Downtown, but the city needs to zone for dense walkable development and take a big step to retrofit or replace the current sprawling development nearby stations. For example, allow for dense residential to be built up against the Target and Cub Foods and carve out a new street grid. Everything within a 1/4 zone of these light rail stations should highly encourage dense development and highly discourage sprawl that belongs in Eden Prairie or Woodbury.

Last edited by Mplsite; 01-01-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 PM

Other than Downtown and Uptown, the Marcy-Holms and U of M areas seem to have a lot of residential development. How about all of those condos/apartments going up southeast of Downtown along the Hiawatha Ave - where what used to be old mills?
I don't really consider Phillips to be really undesirable. I can see a lot happening there in the future with the greenway and being so close to DT.
On a side note, I see that Minneapolis passed Cleveland this latest estimate.
I'm also puzzled why St. Louis is still seeing a population decline. It seems there was some nice development going on there. I guess the tide has yet to turn there.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 PM

Current Estimates Data - U.S Census Bureau
Hopefully this link will work.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

164 posts, read 257,211 times
Even better questions is: Will the city ever pass the 500,000 mark?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
That's a hard question to answer, but I think it's certainly possible, as population exceeded 500,000 in the 1950s.

However, that's a long ways off, perhaps 20-40 years in the future. Or maybe never. Haha.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
Muzzle the numerous Minneapolis Nimby's and it could happen! Start with the Kenwood Nimby's, then the Uptown Nimby's, then the Wedge Nimby's, and the Loring Park Nimby's. Great way to start!

I know, the Kenwood crowd doesn't want someone peering over them from a 40th floor condo unit around Lake of the Isles or Lake Calhoun! Fearing telescopes, they wouldn't be able run around their homes naked anymore!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
As to the question of why Whittier has lost population despite being increasingly popular -- my guess (and I'm not looking at any statistics here) is that some of that is directly because of gentrification. As prices go up, poor families move to cheaper areas. Instead of having a family of 3, 4, 5, or more living in a two-bedroom apartment, you now have a couple, or sometimes even professional single people who prefer to have a home office or guest room.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,946 times
Minnesota Spring
I went to both sites you linked to here & found that they contained estimates for up to 2012 which I've already seen.
Have you heard of any more recent city population news for 2013 that would have been released concurrent with the 2013 50 state populations info which was released just before New Years Day?
Given the factors as we know them today, I agree wholeheartedly with xandrex's comments that hitting the 500,000 mark again in Minneapolis would be a very long term process if it ever happens.
Imho it's most unfortunate that both Minneapolis & St. Paul are still confined within the city limits boundaries that they already had way back in the 1870's or 1880's. I've looked at old maps online & the boundaries have not been changed via annexation since then. I have no idea why that is the case but back then neither city was yet ringed by small villages or the early vestiges of the suburbs of today so further expansion of the city limits were not limited by that factor as they are today.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,499 times
I believe Minnesota's annexation laws are much more stringent than other states. In particular, I've heard that Texas pretty much allows its cities to gobble up everything in site, like some sort of black hole.

That said, I'm fine with the boundaries as they are today. Yes, they keep the city as a relatively small 58 sq. miles, but I'm not sure what would be gained at this point. While it would "artificially" inflate our population, it would drive down our average density, as I can't imagine there are too many suburbs that have densities higher than relatively suburban south Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul