Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

MLS Board of Governors is meeting in less than 3 weeks (Dec 6th) where the expansion plans and possibly the award of the 24th franchise will be comming up. Minneapolis is in the running along with Sacramento and Las Vegas and I believe that the only stadium site that is commited would be the Minneapolis Stadium currently under construction.

Wouldn't mind seeing the McGuire/Pohlad/Taylor group get there plans and financing sorted out by then as a smaller, soccer specific stadium would provide a better fan experience than indoors at the new palace. MLS regular season runs from early March to late October with the playoffs going right in to December.

Las Vegas could learn by Dec. 6 if it wins MLS soccer team | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
I'd have no problem with a privately financed soccer-specific venue as long as the city/county/state is not on the hook for more than some necessary infrastructure improvements around the stadium area.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM

latest info on MLS expansion implies that expansion decision will not come until the first quarter of 2015, which seems to favor the downtown "Farmers Market" site as it gives the United Group more time to get their financing package in order for their stadium. In addition to McGuire/Pohlad/Taylor there is apparently a member of the Carlson family also on board now with that group.

MLS Expansion: Latest involving Sacramento, Minneapolis, Las Vegas bids | SI.com

The SI article also implies that the MLS may yank the previously announce expansion franchise away from the Miami group as Beckham's group is not making any progress on securing a stadium there.

Vikings also revealed their renderings of how they would "down-size" the seating bowl at the new indoor facility to try and address the NFL-sized stadium that may be the only thing working against them.

New Vikings Stadium's Soccer Setup Revealed

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
^There is one recommendation I have. United is not a good name for a potential MLS team in Minneapolis-St. Paul. We already have the DC United.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 PM

Well as I expected, the McGuire-Farmers Mkt group having recently bought themselves about 6 months at the MLS League meetings, have now uttered the dreaded "P" word aloud for the first time in what appears to be a plan to pony up with Mike Opat and the Hennepin Co. Commission.

Soccer stadium subsidy? United owner says public money might be needed | Star Tribune

I think the going rate for a single deck, 20,000 seat outdoor venue is going for about 200 million these days. Our policy here is to ask the owners to pay 1/3 to 1/2 (unless your Glenn Taylor) and we'll come up with the rest. Count me in!

Farmer's Market Site Plan

Kansas City's Sporting Park (200 Mil)
(from wiki)

Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I realize there are a lot of soccer fans in Minnesota but the question is whether or not they'll buy tickets. Seems like the cost of a ticket would take a big chunk out of the average 7 year old's allowance.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I realize there are a lot of soccer fans in Minnesota but the question is whether or not they'll buy tickets. Seems like the cost of a ticket would take a big chunk out of the average 7 year old's allowance.
Are you sure that only 7 year-olds will buy tickets.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 PM

United was avg around 6,000 playing up in Blaine, I'd think a downtown location with better competition would be able to triple that pretty easily. MLS attendance league wide this year was about 19,000, Seattle led for the 6th straight year with well over 40,000.

Vegas just approved public financing a day or two ago as part of a $200 Mil stadium near downtown.

Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up | ProSoccerTalk

Sacramento has apparently also approved a stadium but I had thought that was still a bit tenuous.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Are you sure that only 7 year-olds will buy tickets.
I'm just going by the average age of American soccer fans.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
I'm really hoping Minnesota gets it over Sacramento, even though I have an irrational feeling Sacramento is going to get it over Minneapolis. And nothing personal, but I'm not a fan of Sacramento's mayor Kevin Johnson, although I definitely agree Sacramento would be a fantastic market for an MLS team.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think the two teams should go to Sacramento and Minnesota, and Miami doesn't deserve one (again, nothing personal) I'm always pessimistic but I'm sure David Beckham will get it together and Miami will still end up getting their expansion team.

And I will definitely buy tickets if Minnesota were to get a team. I'm still a Timberwolves fan even though it's been over 10 years since they made the playoffs and have gone to a game this year and will be going to more despite their horrendous record so far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul