Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,784,699 times

Advertisements

In a few of the south burbs I've been in have roundabouts instead of intersection now. What are the rules for driving them? Winter driving makes it one lane but what if there are two. The signs look like you can exit from the inside lane, true? Tips welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,089,429 times
The one's I've seen with 2 lanes exit into a 2 lane road so if you are in the inner lane you need to stay in that inner lane and exit to the left lane of whatever road you are going to. Some have a short second lane that moves only to the next exit so if you are not going that way you should get into the inner lane. Yield to those in the roundabout.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM

906 posts, read 1,756,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The one's I've seen with 2 lanes exit into a 2 lane road so if you are in the inner lane you need to stay in that inner lane and exit to the left lane of whatever road you are going to. Some have a short second lane that moves only to the next exit so if you are not going that way you should get into the inner lane. Yield to those in the roundabout.
Agreed. Always yield to any traffic coming from your left. In Europe, they use blinkers to indicate if they are going to stay in the circle and when they plan to exit. I don't see many people do that here.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,865,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Agreed. Always yield to any traffic coming from your left. In Europe, they use blinkers to indicate if they are going to stay in the circle and when they plan to exit. I don't see many people do that here.
I usually put my flashers on when I'm in a round-a-bout to warn those around me of any upcoming sudden impulses that I may act upon..."Make a hole! COMIN' THRU!!!"

Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,059,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I usually put my flashers on when I'm in a round-a-bout to warn those around me of any upcoming sudden impulses that I may act upon..."Make a hole! COMIN' THRU!!!"
Putting on your blinkers is one of the worst things to do because other drivers have absolutely no idea what your intentions are. It just causes confusion.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,427,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Putting on your blinkers is one of the worst things to do because other drivers have absolutely no idea what your intentions are. It just causes confusion.
Only if they don't know how to drive on a roundabout. European drivers know what they're doing and so they know what the signal means.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,865,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Only if they don't know how to drive on a roundabout. European drivers know what they're doing and so they know what the signal means.
I would assume that traffic in a round-a-bout goes in a counter clockwise direction south of the equator.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 PM

12 posts, read 19,433 times
I live in Woodbury, which might be the Roundabout Capital of Minnesota (several intersections created just in the past year). Most people in the area get it now, just look to your left as you enter, people already in the roundabout have the right of way over those waiting to enter. And hope no one hits you.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM

906 posts, read 1,756,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
In the UK, its pretty easy. Yield to traffic on the right, right blinker for turning right into the roundabout, left blinker when you get to the exit you want to take. They sometimes have 6 or more streets coming together at one roundabout, so using signals is pretty critical.

Here in the US, left blinker if turning left while entering the roundabout, right blinker when you plan to exit. Since most of our roundabouts are only 2 roads (standard intersection), blinkers are not as necessary.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,577,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would assume that traffic in a round-a-bout goes in a counter clockwise direction south of the equator.
I live in Kentucky, in a town that just got its first roundabout a couple of months ago. They put a half-page article on the front page of the local paper, explaining what a roundabout is and how to drive in one, complete with diagrams. I can't tell that it did much good. Let's just say that if you want to see cars going clockwise in a roundabout, I don't think you have to drive as far south as the equator to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul