Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
what is the best and worst neighborhood
Best and worst for what? A 21-year-old college kid is going to have a completely different take on best and worst neighborhoods than, say, a married 40-something couple with a few kids, which is going to be different than the opinion of a single person in their thirties. Someone who grew up in a rural area is likely to have different preferences than someone from Manhattan. Introvert/extrovert, outdoorsy/prissy, counterculture/corporate type...everyone is going to have a different answer to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,841,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Best and worst for what? A 21-year-old college kid is going to have a completely different take on best and worst neighborhoods than, say, a married 40-something couple with a few kids, which is going to be different than the opinion of a single person in their thirties. Someone who grew up in a rural area is likely to have different preferences than someone from Manhattan. Introvert/extrovert, outdoorsy/prissy, counterculture/corporate type...everyone is going to have a different answer to this question.
im 29 and have lived in the burbs all my life (burnsville/lakeville) bloomington right now, and that is as urban as i have been. i dont want college kids running all over the place and i prefer a quiet environment over constant action. what neighborhood would be the best for me. thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,597 times
Choosing a neighborhood for someone else is always a challenge. What is causing you to leave your current neighborhood and what are you seeking in a new one, aside from quiet and student-free? Where do you work? What is your budget? All of that and more comes into play.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,841,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Choosing a neighborhood for someone else is always a challenge. What is causing you to leave your current neighborhood and what are you seeking in a new one, aside from quiet and student-free? Where do you work? What is your budget? All of that and more comes into play.
just based on a quiet environment and no college kids running around, what would you pick?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
just based on a quiet environment and no college kids running around, what would you pick?
Look around in the south Minneapolis neighborhoods east of Lake Harriet over to the Mississippi, and south of maybe 38th St.. These are all pretty much quiet, residential neighborhoods with mostly single family homes, but also a good number of duplexes and apartments. They aren't neighborhoods that attract college kids or loud partying types. These aren't the only neighborhoods that fit your criteria. I live in Kingfield.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Each of these is more of a commercial district than a neighborhood. I think the reason won't find them on a map because their boundaries are not well defined. You can get agreement on what is the center of each is, but not how far out they go.

The links here give a general location of each.
Neighborhoods of Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, they're commercial districts. But they're also places people identify with where they live. A good number of people in the Wedge near Hennepin don't identify with living in "Lowry Hill East". Ask and they say they live in Uptown. The same is true for Lyn-Lake. And it's absolutely the case with Dinkytown.

Our official neighborhoods in this city are a poor thing to go off of, since they are largely defined with major roads as boundaries. But since major roads tend to be commercial districts (and neighborhoods often identify with commercial districts), we split up the way we naturally tend to think of neighborhoods.

After all, what's the difference between West 27th Street one block west of Hennepin versus one block east of Hennepin? I'd say not much, but the city of Minneapolis says one lives in East Isles while they other is a Lowry Hill East resident, yet they're both more likely to associate and approximate themselves in the Uptown area.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
Default Why Leave the Burbs?

gtc08,
If you want peace and quiet (and ample parking) why not stay in Bloomington? that's where I live now and I love it.. I lived in South Minneapolis (Longfellow, Bancroft and Carag) for Years when was in and just out of college. I had a ton of fun and at the time wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else, but now I'm 33, married with a kid and couldn't be happier in the burbs... Unless you're looking for more activity closer to you I'd stay in B-town!

Of course if money is no issue I'd pick Kenwood

Great Map.
Minneapolis Neighborhood Map

Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Yes, they're commercial districts. But they're also places people identify with where they live. A good number of people in the Wedge near Hennepin don't identify with living in "Lowry Hill East". Ask and they say they live in Uptown. The same is true for Lyn-Lake. And it's absolutely the case with Dinkytown.

Our official neighborhoods in this city are a poor thing to go off of, since they are largely defined with major roads as boundaries. But since major roads tend to be commercial districts (and neighborhoods often identify with commercial districts), we split up the way we naturally tend to think of neighborhoods.

After all, what's the difference between West 27th Street one block west of Hennepin versus one block east of Hennepin? I'd say not much, but the city of Minneapolis says one lives in East Isles while they other is a Lowry Hill East resident, yet they're both more likely to associate and approximate themselves in the Uptown area.
I guess I don't understand what it is you are trying to start an argument about. That there is more than one way to define a neighborhood in Minneapolis? Who ever said there wasn't? Maybe you can link to a nice map that shows the general location of all the neighborhoods the way you'd like to define them. If not, I guess the city's map will have to do as a guide for the OP.

Last edited by Glenfield; 01-27-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I guess I don't understand what it is you are trying to start an argument about. That there is more than one way to define a neighborhood in Minneapolis? Who ever said there wasn't? Maybe you can link to a nice map that shows the general location of all the neighborhoods the way you'd like to define them. If not, I guess the city's map will have to do as a guide for the OP.
Glenfield, this isn't an argument. I was simply stating in my original post that that neighborhoods aren't always the best way to look at it since they're artificial boundaries. If they work for you, great! But is it not helpful to point out to the OP--who says he hasn't really ever explored Minneapolis--that if he talks to Minneapolitans they might mention a place that isn't on the map because as far as the city is concerned, it doesn't really exist?

If that's coming across as looking for a fight, I apologize. But I think it's helpful info to have.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Glenfield, this isn't an argument. I was simply stating in my original post that that neighborhoods aren't always the best way to look at it since they're artificial boundaries. If they work for you, great! But is it not helpful to point out to the OP--who says he hasn't really ever explored Minneapolis--that if he talks to Minneapolitans they might mention a place that isn't on the map because as far as the city is concerned, it doesn't really exist?

If that's coming across as looking for a fight, I apologize. But I think it's helpful info to have.
Given this...

Quote:
if i wanted to drive through minneapolis and visit the different neighborhoods, how would i go about doing that?

my extent of minneapolis is off e hennepin where i used to work and nicollet mall.
... it seemed like a map might be a handy starting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul