Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

I live in Brazil where never snows. So, after reading those comments I feel lucky living in a non-snow zone.
Here on the southern part of the country we may have some cold winter. I d like to move up north where its warm/hot all year long. We may miss having some snow, but I know that long winters are tough.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,750,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silogram View Post
Minneapolis is a great place to live, but I just couldn't take the cold anymore, so after 32 years, I left and now I live where it never snows (LA), which is all I've ever wanted.
Well, technically it does snow in Los Angeles almost every year. The city limits extend just beyond the summit of Mount Lukens, with its antenna farm and blanket of snow for at least part of most winters, in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Actually, for me the appeal of a place like Los Angeles (I would not live there, but there are some other southern California locales where I could see myself living) is the immediate variety of weather most of the year - the moderate strip along the coast, the foothills, the higher mountains, the desert - within a short drive or at most an easy day-trip.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,670,658 times
This is an old thread that had ended in 2007 but got bumped back to active status yesterday.
I only went back a little ways to read some of the content but on the page preceding this one, writestuff hit the nail on the head about living in a warm, huge supposed urban "Shangri-La" location. I can't endorse those viewpoints any more strongly!
I've live in metro Atlanta & am so over it after 35 years here! If my blood pressure had been taken yesterday as I sat on my "express" bus during the 2 hour commute home, I probably would have been admitted to the emergency room right then!
My goal is to retire out of this h*** hole & back to the Midwest where so many features of everyday life are easier & so many basic standards of living & qualities of life are higher. I know that the climate there varies tremendously during the seasons but that is only one aspect of life there.
I grew up just below the Minnesota state line in a small town & later left Des Moines in search of the big city lights, so to speak & found them in Atlanta but I've run out of steam & patience in dealing with the insuferable & growing daily drudge of dealing w/ a vastly diminished(ing) quality of life. There's just too many people & a completely inferior level of infrastructure in existence to deal with the 5.5 million population.
By comparison, when I last visited Des Moines, Iowa City, Ames, Dubuque, Rochester, St. Cloud, & Madison, I felt the tension lift from me & I appreciated the fresh, clean & vibrant ambiance of those cities.
Obviously the op has made his residential decision from a completely opposite viewpoint & come here to write about it so I can only say that I'm glad for his happiness but caution others that there can be a vast downside to life in a huge, sun belt metro setting.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 PM

416 posts, read 557,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Los Angeles, where it neither snows, nor rains; nor where the ground stands still. I'll take my chances here.
Just moved back to MN after 8 years in L.A. What a bizzaro, stressfull, deluded nightmare of a place. And that's just the people and the traffic, never mind the unprecedented drought, heat waves, and earthquakes. Any sane person would come to the conclusion that you have to be self-absorbed, deluded, or in denial to live there - and they'd be right.

I will miss In-N-Out burgers, though.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,655,416 times
I miss LA, and if life hadn't intervened I'd be happily living there still. Can't say I miss the wildfires, earthquake risks, or droughts, however. Minnesota has horrible winters, but at least our risks from natural disasters are, overall, lower than a lot of places. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tsunamis, no western-style wildfires (a danger facing even city residents in LA).

Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,639,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silogram View Post
Minneapolis is a great place to live, but I just couldn't take the cold anymore, so after 32 years, I left and now I live where it never snows (LA), which is all I've ever wanted.
Seven years later, I wonder if the OP is still happy? Not only do they not have snow, they don't have any water. Eleven months of water left in the state and they don't know where they're going to get it after that. Keep those ice bucket challenges flowing, California.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Seven years later, I wonder if the OP is still happy? Not only do they not have snow, they don't have any water. Eleven months of water left in the state and they don't know where they're going to get it after that. Keep those ice bucket challenges flowing, California.
What's even more alarming is the sheer amount of water that's wasted there. L.A is car wash central as well as landscaping central. An insane amount of water is used just to keep people's lawns green and their brand new leased BMWs shiny. It's a city that is in complete denial that it's in the desert.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,413,770 times
Snow and bone chilling temperatures are a huge negative that we shouldn't ignore or shouldn't attack people who criticize us for it.

However i will say the extreme heat in the summers are probably more "dangerous" than any of the natural disasters that happen in Los Angeles.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Snow and bone chilling temperatures are a huge negative that we shouldn't ignore or shouldn't attack people who criticize us for it.

However i will say the extreme heat in the summers are probably more "dangerous" than any of the natural disasters that happen in Los Angeles.
Does LA traffic count as a natural disaster? Cause I think it does at this point...

Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Does LA traffic count as a natural disaster? Cause I think it does at this point...
They also have four seasons in LA: earthquake, wildfire, mudslides, and drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul