Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
All the comments about buses being made later by weather impacts also apply to cars. I just don't see how weather delays favors cars. If anything, I think that the prospect for weather delays encourages people to live closer to where they work.

There were lots of cities that got rid of rail in the '50s and have reintroduced service during the past few decades. Results have been mixed based on individual cities, but cities such as Denver, Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, Washington, D. C., & San Diego have experienced strong ridership. The Twin Cities have also had strong ridership on our initial LRT line. A major investment in transit infrastructure such as rail is likely to take many years to payoff. It's worthwhile to recall that the interstate highways received 90% Federal Subsidy back in the 50s-70s, and that subsidy encouraged our metro to build an extensive highway system, which of course was a major factor in the sprawling suburban development we have. That sprawling development took several decades to fill in along the freeways. Development along transit corridors will also continue to occur over several decades, which should increase ridership of transit lines.
If they come into downtown on the freeways which are plowed first and best, it does favor cars. Plus, if you drive, you know when your ride is leaving. When you ride transit, you can only guess. As I've previously said, depending on transit means not waiting too late. You might have to go out 30 minutes or an hour early to allow for the struggle of buses to get through snow-narrowed streets. It does help to be on a line with frequent buses. If you have every half hour service, the few buses on your route can be a half hour late, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
If they come into downtown on the freeways which are plowed first and best, it does favor cars. Plus, if you drive, you know when your ride is leaving. When you ride transit, you can only guess. As I've previously said, depending on transit means not waiting too late. You might have to go out 30 minutes or an hour early to allow for the struggle of buses to get through snow-narrowed streets. It does help to be on a line with frequent buses. If you have every half hour service, the few buses on your route can be a half hour late, too.
I agree that waiting for a delayed bus can be irritating. But, many transit agencies are now providing real time arrival time via an AP for smartphones. Many buses on freeways have express lanes, giving them priority.

I find it hard to believe weather-related delays have much relevance to what the OP was asking about anyway.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I agree that waiting for a delayed bus can be irritating. But, many transit agencies are now providing real time arrival time via an AP for smartphones. Many buses on freeways have express lanes, giving them priority.

I find it hard to believe weather-related delays have much relevance to what the OP was asking about anyway.
Could be accurate. As I say (for 40+ years of transit experience) you find a high-frequency line, then you plan to go much earlier. Factor in the increased travel time. I napped or read on the bus. And I quickly got the first solid state watch to make sure my time was accurate. I was hardly ever late, even as the quality of transit started downhill. Now we have the extra problem of people commuting long distances solo so that the transit system has to contend with a big increase in auto traffic over what existed in the 60's and 70's. I predict that problem will have not been solved in the next 20 years, certainly not by billion dollar transit projects. You can improve density, but it it is all "market rate", then most you're catering to the high income. People with more typical wages might end up at the end of a long suburban commute.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 PM

17 posts, read 46,151 times
Picking a specific location to live should depends on where your job is.

If you work in Downtown and do not have a vehicle, you should consider living close to the local public transportation system. In addition to buses, there are Hiawatha Line and Green Line (soon to be open in June 2014 between Minneapolis & St. Paul).

Welcome to the Twin Cities! I would move back home in a heartbeat.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
^ In Uptown, anyway, I'm hoping that all the new housing (most of it is very expensive) will actually help with affordable housing, not hurt it -- this area is very popular, and at least the new luxury stuff will give people more housing options. The people with money who want shiny and new can move into Elan or Flux instead of into one of the more affordable apartments in the neighborhood. Get enough new units and maybe some of the pressure will be eased and rents won't be able to rise too high too quickly. That's probably not going to help low-income residents much, but it will help the middle-class.

That said, I agree with you that many people looking for affordability will end up in distant locations with long commutes (or in neighborhoods with poor public transportation options or low walkability, as those benefits increasingly command higher prices). That's happened in other cities, and has already been happening here.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
^ In Uptown, anyway, I'm hoping that all the new housing (most of it is very expensive) will actually help with affordable housing, not hurt it -- this area is very popular, and at least the new luxury stuff will give people more housing options. The people with money who want shiny and new can move into Elan or Flux instead of into one of the more affordable apartments in the neighborhood. Get enough new units and maybe some of the pressure will be eased and rents won't be able to rise too high too quickly. That's probably not going to help low-income residents much, but it will help the middle-class.

That said, I agree with you that many people looking for affordability will end up in distant locations with long commutes (or in neighborhoods with poor public transportation options or low walkability, as those benefits increasingly command higher prices). That's happened in other cities, and has already been happening here.
Or they live near their jobs in towns where their job is and can walk or drive a short distance...at least in the Twin Cities that is what happens....since most jobs are NOT in Minneapolis....

Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 35,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Or they live near their jobs in towns where their job is and can walk or drive a short distance...at least in the Twin Cities that is what happens....since most jobs are NOT in Minneapolis....
Which city in the metro area has the most jobs?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless In The City View Post
I'm pretty certain it is Minneapolis. I even think there are more jobs here than in the second biggest city. But total up the jobs for the metro area, and Minneapolis would not have 50 percent.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 AM

292 posts, read 891,195 times
Quote:
Metropolitan Council - Data+Maps - Data Analysis

1. Minneapolis
2. St. Paul
3. Bloomington

Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
That's not the point--the point is that not everyone works in Minneapolis--very few people do relative to the metro population, thus why people live in the suburbs, close to their jobs....110,000ish jobs in downtown Minneapolis, millions in the suburbs.....only about 10% of the metro population works anywhere in Minneapolis....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul