Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM

43 posts, read 89,105 times

Advertisements

Low unemployment contributes to population growth, and Minneapolis has a very strong job market. I think the Minneapolis metro has come a long way, though it doesn't quite seem to get the heightened marketing flare of Denver, Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta etc. I've visited Minneapolis several times over the past 10 years and it's really a great and competitive city. The area gets a bad rep about the winters. Texas has a very strong job market and now has taken the title from CA in tech industry. So it's not really surprise to see Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston represented.

If you look over the past 20 years, there has been a migration of northerners to the south: presumably for warmer weather, better job market, and lower taxes. But Minneapolis has stood very strong the past decade, and I believe it's still the best area to live in the midwest. Unemployment is low, the city is clean, several Fortune 500 companies, outdoor activities galour, relatively safe, outstanding schools, highly educated population, highly ranked International Airport that flys nearly 34-million passengers a year, outstanding medical Mecca, the list goes on. So, I think Minneapolis-St Paul should be quite proud of themselves for breaking the top 20 as a midwest city.

Austin may be #1, but it has its fair share of problems that could put future growth in jeopardy: water supply is a big concern, traffic is a nightmare, no mass transit, high homeless population, very competitive job market, skyrocketing housing demand that's driving prices of homes through the roof as you get closer to downtown. There is just too many people moving to Austin metro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,076 times
Very well said.......It really is a great place to live.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Haha. Bet last night's weather isn't among the top reasons for moving here.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Haha. Bet last night's weather isn't among the top reasons for moving here.
Better than dealing with tornadoes in the middle of February like they had in KY, TN, etc.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Better than dealing with tornadoes in the middle of February like they had in KY, TN, etc.
I think there's a long LIST of reasons to be elsewhere than those states. A recent example, the guy who got poisoned by a snake that he picked up to show his faith. It was an atheistic snake, and maybe this evangelical preacher didn't realize it. Anyway, he got an early exit. Given all the things one has to accept in some of those states, the risk of having your house flattened is way too high.

On the other hand, there are places like the Virgin Islands, Samoa, Hawaii, Seattle Washington, that have no tornadoes and no huge piles of snow. I'm gonna guess those are NOT where immigration to Mpls is coming from. But if people from there do come, then we might want to watch them cuz they might have a screw loose.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
According to the Forbes Article, these were the fastest growing cities: #1 Austin, TX; #2 Raleigh, NC ; #3 Dallas, TX; #4 Phoenix, AZ; #5 Salt Lake City, UT; #6 Denver, CO; #7 Ogden, UT; #8 Charlotte, N.C.; #9 Orlando, FL; #10 Houston, TX; #11 Seattle, WA; #12 Atlanta, GA; #13 Provo, UT; #14 Cape Coral, FL; #15 Palm Bay, FL; #16 Boise, ID; #17 Minneapolis, MN; #18 North Port, FL; #19 San Jose, CA; #20 San Antonio, TX.

Some quick observations, Minneapolis is the only Midwest city in the top 20; the only cities from the eastern US are those in the southeast ( Florida, North Carolina, Georgia). Other than Seattle and San Jose, the only other northern cities ranked are in the inter-mountain west; with that said, I have difficulty classifying San Jose as being "Northern". Minneapolis it also appears is furthest from either an ocean-or -mountain range of these 20-fastest growing cities.

It would also be interesting to the 20 cities with the fastest job growth during the exact same time frame; I would imagine the rankings should closely mirror the Forbes list mentioned above?
Minneapolis is NOT growing faster (population-wise) than San Antonio! If you include jobs, GDP, and other criteria, possibly, but still, doubtful.

*Edit: oh wait, are we talking about the City of Minneapolis only, and not the metro? Then I can believe it.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I think there's a long LIST of reasons to be elsewhere than those states. A recent example, the guy who got poisoned by a snake that he picked up to show his faith. It was an atheistic snake, and maybe this evangelical preacher didn't realize it. Anyway, he got an early exit. Given all the things one has to accept in some of those states, the risk of having your house flattened is way too high.

On the other hand, there are places like the Virgin Islands, Samoa, Hawaii, Seattle Washington, that have no tornadoes and no huge piles of snow. I'm gonna guess those are NOT where immigration to Mpls is coming from. But if people from there do come, then we might want to watch them cuz they might have a screw loose.
Or perhaps aren't incredibly rich and want to afford a normal lifestyle by moving to Minneapolis. The city is really a great compromise between livability and affordability!

Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless In The City View Post
Between 2000 and 2010, Minneapolis' population remained at approximately 382,000. In that time, several areas experienced significant growth, but it wasn't enough to offset losses on the north side.

Maybe, with the economy and housing crisis stabilizing, the next ten years will be kinder. I would love to see the population exceed 400,000, which seems plausible/probable.
The 2012 Census estimate for the city of Minneapolis is 392,880. The 2013 estimates will be released in June.

There are areas experiencing a lot of growth, including the U of M area, downtown and uptown.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 35,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
The 2012 Census estimate for the city of Minneapolis is 392,880. The 2013 estimates will be released in June.

There are areas experiencing a lot of growth, including the U of M area, downtown and uptown.
...and along the Midtown Greenway. I am aware of this. In fact, much of this growth took place before the 2010 census, but because of population loss in parts of north mpls, the overall population did not grow.

As for population estimates, I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Or perhaps aren't incredibly rich and want to afford a normal lifestyle by moving to Minneapolis. The city is really a great compromise between livability and affordability!
Well, that is one of the main attractions. I notice the area fell BEHIND Boise. That isn't any kind of ringing endorsement to be beaten out by Boise. Wonder what that town has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul