Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM

53 posts, read 90,606 times

Advertisements

I am getting a older Minneapolis house that has moderate Tree cover around the house: not giant trees looming over the house but just a few trees near by. The current gutters are a complete loss on the house. My question is: are gutter guards worth while or should I just get a good quality gutter put on the house and plan on cleaning it twice a year or whatever? If I get a gutter guard, is the need for a cleanup of the gutter become less frequent but more difficult or ?

The reason I ask is I have seen gutter guarded gutters in minneapolis and there is small trees and stuff growing out of them: I assume that the owners were supposed to clean out the silt that formed under the gutter guard, every year or two?, but just left it alone until it filled with decaying leaf material then the gutters were broken.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 AM

109 posts, read 211,800 times
My house was built in 1880 and doesn't have gutters at all. No drainage problems either. The older houses don't necessarily need them.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roselily View Post
My house was built in 1880 and doesn't have gutters at all. No drainage problems either. The older houses don't necessarily need them.
The age of the house has nothing to do with it...the slope of the roof and the area around the house is what matters...

The house I grew up in was built in 1860, it had/has gutters...

Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM

53 posts, read 90,606 times
Guys, if I can reacquire the topic this thread was trying to explore.... Gutter Guards: worth it for the extra cost or not so much? If you are pro-gutter guards do you have a variety you recommend for a house that is next to deciduous, and not pine, trees?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisaroo View Post
Guys, if I can reacquire the topic this thread was trying to explore.... Gutter Guards: worth it for the extra cost or not so much? If you are pro-gutter guards do you have a variety you recommend for a house that is next to deciduous, and not pine, trees?
Mesh is considered good but don't use this if you are near pines. Some contractors feel it's more economical to just clean the gutters more often. Versaguard is one brand you could take a look at. I'd make sure it doesn't damage the roof in any way.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisaroo View Post
There are mixed reviews about the gutter guards. I've heard that while they do keep out bigger things like leaves and what not, they do let in smaller particles and in heavy rains, water spills over them because of the smaller openings. You still have to clean them out periodically and it's more difficult. It's pretty easy to hose down your gutters or hire someone to do that for you.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 AM

413 posts, read 763,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are mixed reviews about the gutter guards. I've heard that while they do keep out bigger things like leaves and what not, they do let in smaller particles and in heavy rains, water spills over them because of the smaller openings. You still have to clean them out periodically and it's more difficult. It's pretty easy to hose down your gutters or hire someone to do that for you.
I've also heard that gutter guards clog up when birds and mice nest in them, and it's a major pain to get that cleaned out.

I live in a very wooded area, and we have to get our gutters cleaned twice a year (two story house, and I'm NOT going up there). Gutter guards are expensive - I think I figured that it would take 12-15 years of having a service clean them to pay for the guards, and even then, you could still have issues. I'd skip it myself.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 653 times
In my opinion, gutter guards aren't efficient. I've cleaned over 500 gutters coming across plenty of gutter guards that just dont do the job. Most gutter guards accumulate mud in your gutters or cant keep smaller sized debris out which still clog your gutters. if you have trees around your home your best bet is to invest in an affordable gutter cleaning service spring and fall. visit facebook.com/highmaintenanceservicesll or call Richard 651-560-8847. We are the most reliable and affordable gutter cleaners in the twin cities We clean off your roof, clean your gutters, flush out all downspouts and bill you later.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 PM

340 posts, read 664,655 times
I talked to some homeowners that strongly believe that their newly-installed gutter guards are causing an increase in ice dams. Their roofs have a fairly gentle slope, tho. If your roofs have a steep incline it might not be as much a problem.

My neighbor had gutter guards that were a light, ivory color and they didn't look good when dirt, leaves and small sticks started to accumulate on the top of them. But on the other hand my house and higher than hers and she couldn't see them from her home so it didn't bother her.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 PM

340 posts, read 664,655 times
If I was living in a one-story home, I would buy one of those attachments for my leaf blower that makes it wasy to clean gutters from the ground. It is essentially a tube bent in the shape of an inverted "J" that reaches into the gutter while you walk along the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul