Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 13,191 times

Advertisements

Looks like we'll be moving to MSP soon and we would really like to find a neighborhood that has it's own swimming pool. It's a great way to meet new people and entertain my wife and daughter during the summer. I've heard good things about the Maple Grove & Plymouth area. Any suggestions/comments? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM

298 posts, read 750,702 times
Plymouth and Maple Grove are both great suburbs, some of the best in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Unfortunately, there are really not a lot of master planned communities in Minnesota. At least not those with the community swimming pool, the clubhouse/ community center with a part room or fitness center or walking/ rollerblading paths; MSP certainly has the fewest I've seen of all the Metro area's I've lived in. This is unfortunate given the expense of homes in the "Twin Cities". Ammenities in housing developments whether they be single family houses , townhouses or apartments in MSP are very few.

Your best solution would be to join either the Plymouth Community Center in the 3600 block of Plymouth Boulevard or the Maple Grove Community Center at 12951 Weaver Lake Road. Both facilities have Indoor/ Outdoor swimming pools and water parks, indoor ice arena's used by the local high schools, full health club facilities run by "Lifetime Fitness", outdoor amphatheater's/ stage for summer concerts and "movies in the park".

The Plymouth Community Center Pool and diving well is used by the Wayzata High School (Trojan's)varsity swimming and diving teams.

Your monthly due's for a family membership to either of these two facilities would be cheaper than the extra fee for your homeowners' association dues at any of the few master-planned housing communities in the area. Also, being a resident of that particular suburb may entitle you to a discount at either of these two city-taxpayer funded facilities.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM

464 posts, read 802,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
MSP certainly has the fewest I've seen of all the Metro area's I've lived in. This is unfortunate given the expense of homes in the "Twin Cities". Ammenities in housing developments whether they be single family houses , townhouses or apartments in MSP are very few.
If I had to guess why this is, I'd say that it's because most municipalities in the Twin Cities area have pretty good city-run amenities already (as you note with your examples). Although it does seem like a lot of apartment complexes have them in the suburbs, though not many townhomes and almost no single-family homes.

For me, while I can see where it would be nice to have these things a few things from my front door, I also don't see a need to duplicate what I'm already paying for with my property taxes anyway. My HOA dues are high enough as it is just to cover the basics.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 AM

8 posts, read 13,191 times
Thanks for the responses folks. Leaving the south with great neighborhood pools (with swim teams) will be very hard for us. They are a great place to meet people, hang out and great for kids to grow up with. I will certainly look at joining the Community Centers as a way to meet people, get out of the house and get some exercise as well.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4baldtires View Post
Thanks for the responses folks. Leaving the south with great neighborhood pools (with swim teams) will be very hard for us. They are a great place to meet people, hang out and great for kids to grow up with. I will certainly look at joining the Community Centers as a way to meet people, get out of the house and get some exercise as well.
Because most of the year here is not outside swimming weather, you will find Swim Schools with indoor pools that will host the various swim teams--and many have produced Olympic caliber swimmers. Many developments might have a pool though. I know several in the southern suburbs do. If your kids are younger than kindergarten age, make sure you sign up for the Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) programs. They are simply wonderful and a great way to meet people.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,474,724 times
Minnesotans like to go to lakes. YMCA and YWCA have pools. Northeast Park in NE Mpls has one. But this is not "pool country". I come originally from the west coast where there were few lakes. But pools were everywhere.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM

413 posts, read 763,528 times
St. Louis Park has a huge outdoor aquatic center. Minnetonka has a city-owned indoor pool, but the notion of neighborhood pools simply doesn't really exist in Minnesota.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,474,724 times
Typically no. Winter's for snow sports and summer is for lounging at a lake.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,743 times
The Ashling Meadows neighborhood in Minnetonka has their own community pool.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,979 times
Maple Grove Community Center has great indoor and outdoor swimming pools. There are some pretty new developments very close by, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul