Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 AM

7 posts, read 11,667 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been scouring these wonderful forums for some time now and I know the relocation questions are posted with great frequency, but I need some help based on my specific circumstances. I'll keep the information brief.

I was admitted to Hamline School of Law and decided to matriculate in the fall. I am not the traditional college student in that I am moving with a wife and two children, ages 2 and five weeks. While the information I have found has been a great starting point, where do you all think I should start looking for housing? Can anyone give me an idea of what the neighborhoods you suggest are like?
  • I have about $1500 to spend on rent each month
  • I am looking for (stereotypically) the family oriented suburban sprawls
  • I don't mind commuting

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I have already fallen in love with the area and plan to stay after graduation. Unfortunately I have not had time to explore the Twin Cities in person much. I am coming from Reno, NV and don't mind the Minnesota climate one bit, it will actually be nice to see something besides sagebrush.

I keep seeing posts about the "good neighborhoods" and I understand that Plymouth, Eden Prairie, and Minnetonka continue to be mentioned. Minnetonka seems to be outside of my price range and being on the bubble so to speak with my allocated budget has kind of left me looking at a lot of options that I know little about.

I said I would be brief and I wasn't so I apologize in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
You don't want to commute to Hamline from the western suburbs. I'd suggest looking in Eagan. Great family area, good schools, easy commute to Hamline. You want to look in the 196 school side of Eagan, so basically Pilot Knob Road and east.

I will also suggest that you look into the Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE). It's "classes" for kids birth to kindergarten and their parents. Wonderful way to meet people!!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
There's nothing so different about Eden Prairie, Plymouth, or Minnetonka to justify moving there when you're going to school at Hamline. No need to take on a longer commute than necessary, even if you don't mind taking on a commute. Agree that Eagan is going to give you the stereotypical modern suburban sprawl that you're after, and is much closer to your school. But really, many of those St. Paul suburbs will get you what you want. I'd check out locations like White Bear Lake, Shoreview, etc. Woodbury is also a popular modern suburb with a lot of amenities for families with young kids.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
There's nothing so different about Eden Prairie, Plymouth, or Minnetonka to justify moving there when you're going to school at Hamline. No need to take on a longer commute than necessary, even if you don't mind taking on a commute. Agree that Eagan is going to give you the stereotypical modern suburban sprawl that you're after, and is much closer to your school. But really, many of those St. Paul suburbs will get you what you want. I'd check out locations like White Bear Lake, Shoreview, etc. Woodbury is also a popular modern suburb with a lot of amenities for families with young kids.
Crappy commutes from WBL, Shoreview and Woodbury to Hamline too though....

Old 03-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Thank you both for the responses. That is the kind of information I just haven't been able to find as of yet. I will definitely take a look at Eagan and Woodbury. I will be traveling up there at the end of April to (hopefully) find housing. Is the commute from the western suburbs rather grueling? Honestly, I have been spoiled living in Reno where the longest commute time is about ten minutes.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRaised View Post
Thank you both for the responses. That is the kind of information I just haven't been able to find as of yet. I will definitely take a look at Eagan and Woodbury. I will be traveling up there at the end of April to (hopefully) find housing. Is the commute from the western suburbs rather grueling? Honestly, I have been spoiled living in Reno where the longest commute time is about ten minutes.
YES!! Problem is you hit about 3 bottlenecks and it will probably be close to an hour during rush hour. Eagan to Hamiline will be about 15 minutes, Woodbury, you hit a couple bottlenecks too so probably closer to 20 or 30 minutes.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRaised View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been scouring these wonderful forums for some time now and I know the relocation questions are posted with great frequency, but I need some help based on my specific circumstances. I'll keep the information brief.

I was admitted to Hamline School of Law and decided to matriculate in the fall. I am not the traditional college student in that I am moving with a wife and two children, ages 2 and five weeks. While the information I have found has been a great starting point, where do you all think I should start looking for housing? Can anyone give me an idea of what the neighborhoods you suggest are like?
  • I have about $1500 to spend on rent each month
  • I am looking for (stereotypically) the family oriented suburban sprawls
  • I don't mind commuting

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I have already fallen in love with the area and plan to stay after graduation. Unfortunately I have not had time to explore the Twin Cities in person much. I am coming from Reno, NV and don't mind the Minnesota climate one bit, it will actually be nice to see something besides sagebrush.

I keep seeing posts about the "good neighborhoods" and I understand that Plymouth, Eden Prairie, and Minnetonka continue to be mentioned. Minnetonka seems to be outside of my price range and being on the bubble so to speak with my allocated budget has kind of left me looking at a lot of options that I know little about.

I said I would be brief and I wasn't so I apologize in advance!
I'd look inside the St Paul city limits in the St Anthony Park & Como neighborhoods just in case they work for you. Both are nice, family friendly & very near Hamline. If you're really set on a more suburban feel, no need to look all the way to the Western Suburbs or all the way to the Southern Suburbs when you could find a nice place just North of Hamline in Falcon Heights, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden Hills, Mounds View or New Brighton. That's where I'd live given your parameters.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'd look inside the St Paul city limits in the St Anthony Park & Como neighborhoods just in case they work for you. Both are nice, family friendly & very near Hamline. If you're really set on a more suburban feel, no need to look all the way to the Western Suburbs or all the way to the Southern Suburbs when you could find a nice place just North of Hamline in Falcon Heights, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden Hills, Mounds View or New Brighton. That's where I'd live given your parameters.
Thank you for the help. I intend to keep a very open mind and take a look at any community recommended. I guess I was looking for the sprawl since that is what I am used to, but I'm too excited about this move to overlook anything and miss out. Are the St Anthony Park and Como neighborhoods older? That is not a problem, I was just wondering.

On a side note, the feedback I have received thus far has been insightful and informative. I don't want to knock the Reno forum too much, but you all have been wonderful by comparison

Old 03-22-2014, 07:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
St. Anthony Park is a fabulous neighborhood -- great for families, nice location, pretty. It is an older neighborhood, but has some newer places mixed in. And the older homes are beautiful! I heartily second Mason's suggestions -- guess I was just thinking farther out for the more modern suburbs, but locations like Roseville and Falcon Heights are very nice, just not brand-new sprawl.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
St. Anthony Park is a fabulous neighborhood -- great for families, nice location, pretty. It is an older neighborhood, but has some newer places mixed in. And the older homes are beautiful! I heartily second Mason's suggestions -- guess I was just thinking farther out for the more modern suburbs, but locations like Roseville and Falcon Heights are very nice, just not brand-new sprawl.
To me, St Anthony Park is the Linden Hills of St Paul, just not right on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul