Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times

Advertisements

The NBA could still veto the trade as the deal can't be considered official until August 23 according to a recent August 9 Yahoo article. The link to the article is not working or I would have provided it here. I certainly hope that does not happen. Both teams bargained in good faith and received a good deal. The new NBA commissioner just got done dealing with the LA Clippers/Donald Sterling issue and I am sure he does not want any more controversy for awhile. I doubt he will oppose the trade.

BTW, I suggest we now close the book on Cleveland/Twin Cities comparisons on this particular thread and conclude by saying each city has proud residents that appreciate each city's amenities/progress and leave it there. Everyone has had a chance to comment on it. Or people that wish to comment further on it can create a separate thread topic. This thread can now get back on track.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-11-2014 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The NBA could still veto the trade as the deal can't be considered official until August 23 according to a recent August 9 Yahoo article. The link to the article is not working or I would have provided it here. I certainly hope that does not happen. Both teams bargained in good faith and received a good deal. The new NBA commissioner just got done dealing with the LA Clippers/Donald Sterling issue and I am sure he does not want any more controversy for awhile.
Glen Taylor probably screwed this up somehow and signed something he wasn't suppose to violating some obscure rule. This after all is the guy that told McHale to sign Joe Smith on a napkin for 87 million and then made him take the rap.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I don't get it. Why are Minneapolitans so venomous towards other cities they see as "inferior". You seem to understand it, maybe you can explain it to me.
I apologize if it seems "venomous." I don't mean that at all. Like I mentioned earlier I've always enjoyed my stays in Cleveland. But there is a serious disconnect if someone thinks that Cleveland is in the same league as Minneapolis. It just isn't. Having traveled a lot in this world I would put Minneapolis as a second or third tier American city. Cleveland is a third or fourth tier city. There are lots of good things about both of them.

But Minneapolis is clearly the "second city" of the Midwest, well ahead of Detroit, St. Louis or Cleveland. The Gross Metropolitan Product confirms that. The Twin Cities GMP is double that of Cleveland's. The Twin Cities are the 13th largest economy in the US. Just behind Seattle and just ahead of Detroit. Cleveland's GMP is actually smaller than St. Louis, Kansas City and Indianapolis. Cleveland is the 6th-largest economy in the Midwest (and I'm not including Pittsburgh). That may seem harsh, but those are the facts.

That speaks volumes about a city's influence.

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Astron1000; 08-12-2014 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I apologize if it seems "venomous." I don't mean that at all. Like I mentioned earlier I've always enjoyed my stays in Cleveland. But there is a serious disconnect if someone thinks that Cleveland is in the same league as Minneapolis. It just isn't. Having traveled a lot in this world I would put Minneapolis as a second or third tier American city. Cleveland is a third or fourth tier city. There are lots of good things about both of them.

But Minneapolis is clearly the "second city" of the Midwest, well ahead of Detroit, St. Louis or Cleveland. The Gross Metropolitan Product confirms that. The Twin Cities GMP is double that of Cleveland's. The Twin Cities are the 13th largest economy in the US. Just behind Seattle and just ahead of Detroit. Cleveland's GMP is actually smaller than St. Louis, Kansas City and Indianapolis. Cleveland is the 6th-largest economy in the Midwest (and I'm not including Pittsburgh). That may seem harsh, but those are the facts.

That speaks volumes about a city's influence.

That's all I'm saying.
And yet, we still have better culture, architecture, and name-recognition .

Last edited by Cleverfield; 08-12-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
If people call my city a dump, sorry but I'm gonna bring a heaping helping of reality to your plate. Oh and by the way I never said Minni is a backwards hick town where people live inside 11 months. I wouldn't criticize the weather, because I actually liked the winters there, and I certainly don't think it's backwards or hick. You're exposing your insecurities there, and revealing to me why it may be that Minnesotans have such a need to put other cities down. Insecure people often feel the need to put others down.
It was a HYPOTHETICAL!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Glen Taylor probably screwed this up somehow and signed something he wasn't suppose to violating some obscure rule. This after all is the guy that told McHale to sign Joe Smith on a napkin for 87 million and then made him take the rap.
Be careful. Glen Taylor owns the Star Tribune now! If he does an editorial against you or other critics, I will be the first to fearlessly defend you and them! $87 million dollar deal on a napkin. What an eccentric billionaire! LOL.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Lowly Timberwolves Fire Lowe : Pro basketball: Coach ousted after 33-102 record in tenure marked by underachievers. - Los Angeles Times

From 1994 when Taylor purchased the franchise

"I think the fans' expectations are the same as mine. This is a building process and people expect us to get better. We haven't been getting better. We want to start."

And 20 years later.........

But anyways, I love basketball and football. Can't wait for the season to start, I will hopefully be able to go to more Timberwolves games then I did last year!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
And yet, we still have better culture, architecture, and name-recognition .
I'll just say this... In architecture, Minneapolis has buildings by Frank Gehry, Philip Johnson, I.M. Pei, Frank Lloyd Wright, Gunnar Birkerts, Minoru Yamasaki, Jean Nouvel, Michael Graves, Cesar Pelli, McKim Mead & White, SOM, Helmut Jahn, Edward Larrabee Barnes, Herzog & DeMeuron, Eliel Saarinen, Marcel Breuer, Antoine Predock, Steven Holl, William Pedersen, and Ralph Rapson among others. This is well-known in international architecture circles and is unmatched by all but the largest American cities. Google those names. Minneapolis/St.Paul is among the most highly-regarded American cities when it comes to architecture.

BTW, I hope we are having fun here. Like I said before I have enjoyed my stays in Cleveland and I would hope that this is a friendly rivalry. But I'll stick to my guns about the relative influence of either city.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I'll just say this... In architecture, Minneapolis has buildings by Frank Gehry, Philip Johnson, I.M. Pei, Frank Lloyd Wright, Gunnar Birkerts, Minoru Yamasaki, Jean Nouvel, Michael Graves, Cesar Pelli, McKim Mead & White, SOM, Helmut Jahn, Edward Larrabee Barnes, Herzog & DeMeuron, Eliel Saarinen, Marcel Breuer, Antoine Predock, Steven Holl, William Pedersen, and Ralph Rapson among others. This is well-known in international architecture circles and is unmatched by all but the largest American cities. Google those names. Minneapolis/St.Paul is among the most highly-regarded American cities when it comes to architecture.

BTW, I hope we are having fun here. Like I said before I have enjoyed my stays in Cleveland and I would hope that this is a friendly rivalry. But I'll stick to my guns about the relative influence of either city.
This is going to be a totally off-topic response to a totally off topic post, but you leave me no choice:

List off all the names of famous architects you want, that doesn't make Minneapolis' architecture superior. It's funny that you list Frank Gehry and I.M. Pei near the top. Frank Gehry actually got his start as a modern architect by designing a house for the CEO of Cleveland based Progressive Insurance, Peter B Lewis. He also designed the iconic Weatherhead Business School at Case Western Reserve University. We also have 2 things designed by I.M. Pei: The iconic Rock and Roll HOF, and the Erieview plan. Our new art museum expansion was designed by Rafael Vinoly, our new MOCA was designed by famed Iranian born architect Farshid Mousavvi. We have far superior classical architecture to Minneapolis. We have a historic mall and civic buildings surrounding it designed by famed Chicago architect Daniel Burnahm. Our Terminal Tower far outmatches your rather ugly "Art Deco" Foshay Tower. Our tallest (Key Tower), though rather standard, is better looking than the IDS building with its large ugly black cap and oddly blocky glass exterior. Our Severance Hall, where the Cleveland Orchestra plays is one of the most beautiful buildings in North America. Our Ameritrust Rotunda and accompanying Ameritrust Tower are beautifully contrasting neoclassical, and modern brutalist designs respectively. Honestly, you guys are FAR out of your league on the architecture front. Do I need to remind you again that we were once the 5th largest city in America?

Peter B Lewis Building:

Severance Hall:

Terminal Tower:

Ameritrust Rotunda:

Palace Theater:

Cleveland Museum of Art:

The Old Arcade:

Cleveland Mall A fountain, buildings from Burnham's Group Plan. Former SOHIO/BP tower in back.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 08-13-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Love's just a turncoat traitor, that's all. And he is a reflection of a league that is so "me first" based and about primadonnas than it is about character and loyalty. It's why I find it increasingly difficult to interest myself in the NBA with all the consolidation of top talent into elite, big city teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I can't blame him. Really, Minnesota is about the last place I'd want to play if I was a pro basketball player.
LMAO.

And Cleveland is about the last place in America I'd want to play. Cleveland's trash, culturally and as a sports city. When was the last time that wasteland ever had a world championship, 1964 (Browns)?

C'mon, don't compare the TC to that dumpster; Minnesota and the Twin Cities in particular regularly rank in the top of the nation in all sorts of way-of-life - colleges, education of population, length of life, mental health, health care, Fortune 500 companies, and on and on. Cleveland is just...Cleveland. Love's just a lying traitor who can't man up to the fact that it's cold here and he doesn't like the Winters - or, moreover, that he needs Lebron by his side to be relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul