Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,208 times

Advertisements

I am moving the family to Minneapolis this summer. I will be working out of my house with a territory that covers both the city and west of the city including the Dakotas. The wife will also work part time from the house, so commute isn't an issue. I'm looking for suggestions on actual neighborhood names where I should be looking for houses in the $200k range. I've heard great things about Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, Plymouth, Edina, Golden Valley and Hopkins. Obviously, we are looking for great schools (7 yr old daughter) but also a great neighborhood where young kids are plentiful, neighborhood activities, Aquatic Centers, shopping, etc etc.

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Slim pickings in that price range in those towns. If you want something that isn't a beat up foreclosure I would consider looking farther out in places like Delano, Waconia, Hutchinson, etc.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I would check out St. Louis Park. Convenient location, excellent water park/rec center, family-friendly, good schools, and with houses in your price range. Golden Valley and Hopkins are also other similar decent options.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
I second St Louis Park - particularly west of highway 100.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 PM

369 posts, read 633,523 times
You might want to look North of the city too. We're renting in Minnetonka right now and our budget for buying is $225K but we have hardly seen anything worth looking at on the west side. Most of it is on the upper end 200s and then higher. But we have seen some nice looking places in places Blaine, Andover, and Coon Rapids which are all nice cities.

Golden Valley, Robbinsdale and Maple Grove seem to have the most stock of houses in that price range.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
You can get a house in St. Louis Park in that price range. It will be on the smaller side, but doable. A friend bought a fixer upper there for around $130,000 last year.

Other options would be New Hope and Crystal - older suburbs, but not terrible. You might be able to find something in the eastern part of Plymouth. Hopkins might be an option too. Avoid Brooklyn Center or the southern part of Brooklyn Park.

Like golfgal says, if you're working out of the home though, you might want to look at some of the western exurbs that were hit hard by foreclosures. Waconia, St. Boni, Watertown, Mayer, Otsego, Albertville are all options for newer houses.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 13,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
You might want to look North of the city too. We're renting in Minnetonka right now and our budget for buying is $225K but we have hardly seen anything worth looking at on the west side. Most of it is on the upper end 200s and then higher. But we have seen some nice looking places in places Blaine, Andover, and Coon Rapids which are all nice cities.

Golden Valley, Robbinsdale and Maple Grove seem to have the most stock of houses in that price range.
Justabitoff: how is the renters house market up there? From what my wife can gather online, it's pretty steep. We were thinking of renting a house first to get a lay of the land and then buying but from the looks of it, the cost of renting is too steep...might as well buy a house and earn equity. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4baldtires View Post
Justabitoff: how is the renters house market up there? From what my wife can gather online, it's pretty steep. We were thinking of renting a house first to get a lay of the land and then buying but from the looks of it, the cost of renting is too steep...might as well buy a house and earn equity. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Pretty low rental vacancy rate, and in a lot of cases, it would cost less to buy than rent if you want a decent sized house.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4baldtires View Post
In this metro area it's generally cheaper to own a house rather than rent it, assuming you'll be in it long enough. I think you're smart to rent first, though, just in case you hate living here -- or even simply fall in love with a different neighborhood. The hassles and expenses of possibly moving twice are worth it if it means you can learn your way around and take your time.

You'll start to find more rentals available in the coming months; at this time of year the offerings are still more limited, although they'll start to really increase as we head into the warmer months.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
I agree that it makes a lot of sense to rent before buying, even though the economics would clearly favor buying from day 1 (as long as you plan to stick around, that is.) It is worth the higher cost of living for 6 months or a year to really get to know the areas you are thinking of buying. When I moved to the area I would up falling deeply in love with the neighborhood where I was renting. However, I almost chose a rental in a different area where I now know I would have no interest in living. If I had bought when I first arrived, there is a fairly good chance I would have wound up in that second neighborhood and regretted it.

My personal advice: get to know the lay of the land, then pick where you want to plant your flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul