Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 AM

40 posts, read 79,351 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I have been reading a lot on this thread as we do research for our decision on potential move to TC. I mentioned in previous thread that I prefer walkable, somewhat urban environment (meaning, walkable but with some green and areas to romp around, with kids I do not think would live in downtown even back home in Europe) and found here a lot of recommendations for SW Minneapolis, SLP and Stillwater that seem interesting.

I also found a few threads from the past that talked about St Paul HIghland Park, and Mac-Groveland areas. It looks to me that it is overall the "triangle" that is defined by the bend in the river, right? From online, looks charming, sidewalks, paths, a lot of anemities both in terms of local shopping, entertainment, library, rec center. Yet I do not see it recommended that much overall on this forum. It seems people always recommend Minneapolis, maybe St Paul schools have bigger problems? But this area feeds to St Paul Central that seems good? Is crime higher in those neighborhoods? Anything that locals know but is not apparent from online searches?

Or maybe simply most people here live in Minneapolis and are not that familiar with St Paul?

Please, share any thoughts! We still need to come to overall decision TC yes or no but as we plan to come in May for visit, I want to know more about areas to visit.

Thank you!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Part feeds into Highland Park High School, part feeds into Central. Go drive by the schools and see--personally I wouldn't want my kids going to a high school that is fenced in with a 12 foot fence topped with barbed wire but to each his own I guess....

Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Mac-Groveland and Highland Park are very solid upper-middle to upper income neighborhoods that are considered very desirable to live in. Mac-Groveland is older, with most homes built between 1890 and 1930, with retail along Grand Avenue and at certain nodes on St. clair. There will be some college housing in The area for Macalester, St. thomas and St. catherines.
Highland Park tends to be a little newer on the whole (some areas werent developed until after WWII). The primary shopping area is at Ford Parkway and Cleveland.
To me, these areas of St. paul are generally comparable to SW minneapolis. When my wife and I moved to Minnesota after having lived out east 20 years ago, we looked at both areas. We ended up choosing SW mpls because of the proximity to the lakes district, but MacGroveland and Highland Park are interesting, attractive neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
From what I understand, those are both great neighborhoods. For our location of work dictated in large part our selection of homes.

I have heard the schools aren't great, but I think that is comparative - and even the worse cannot really be that bad. Moreover, I think those pockets also are affluent enough to leverage private schools.
The one regret I have about not looking in St Paul is that my oldest has a real interest in Japanese and I understand there is a Japanese immersion school there.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
From what I understand, those are both great neighborhoods. For our location of work dictated in large part our selection of homes.

I have heard the schools aren't great, but I think that is comparative - and even the worse cannot really be that bad. Moreover, I think those pockets also are affluent enough to leverage private schools.
The one regret I have about not looking in St Paul is that my oldest has a real interest in Japanese and I understand there is a Japanese immersion school there.
Several high schools in the area offer Japanese--not immersion but enough to get a good background. Eastview high school has a program I know for sure.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Those are great neighborhoods, assuming you work somewhere nearby. SW Minneapolis gets recommended a lot, but that may be in part because so many posters are looking for convenience to both downtown and the western suburbs and because many of the regulars have a tendency to be Minneapolis-centric. If any of those areas would be convenient to your work you should absolutely give them consideration. Same thing with the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. All those areas share much in common with the SW/lakes area of Minneapolis.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Several high schools in the area offer Japanese--not immersion but enough to get a good background. Eastview high school has a program I know for sure.
Immersion was what I said and what I meant.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Immersion was what I said and what I meant.
Great, fine...but there are other options and I was just providing extra information and with open enrollment, you can still go the immersion route if you want even if you don't live there.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:51 PM

391 posts, read 659,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Part feeds into Highland Park High School, part feeds into Central. Go drive by the schools and see--personally I wouldn't want my kids going to a high school that is fenced in with a 12 foot fence topped with barbed wire but to each his own I guess....
I would drive by them if only to see how much golfgal is exaggerating.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
I would drive by them if only to see how much golfgal is exaggerating.
Feel free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul