Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Thanks, golfgal, I *think* we might want to stay a bit more centrally located than Rogers seems to be-- and while we're suburban people, I think Rogers might be more 'small town' than suburban-- or at least that's the impression that I've received from the few people I know up there (if that's not the case, please let me know!)

Also, as he will have to be in EP just about every morning and only up in either Rogers or Elk River a few hours/days a week (evenings/weekends), I think he'd choose to have the shorter commute in the morning (to and from EP) rather than a shorter ride than to and from Rogers/Elk River in evenings/weekends-- but it's definitely not ruled out (at this point nothing is ruled out!)-- plus he might have some morning practices in Victoria, so that tips the scales away from Rogers/Elk River, too.
The suburbs run up to and past Rogers---you wouldn't really notice where Rogers starts and the "suburbs" end really but it doesn't really matter I guess. Rogers probably has more retail than Plymouth--or at least along 94 it does .

You really can't go wrong with Wayzata schools and Plymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,604 times
Good to know, thanks!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 PM

74 posts, read 89,962 times
Red face plymouth-have you considered Medina?

much easier commute! fyi- 4780 Merrimac Ct N, Plymouth, MN 55446 - is sold-short sales show up as available until they close in all web home searches =(

Getting in and out of victoria can be more difficult trafick wise-more options for county roads and alternate routs getting from plymouth to elk river (101north)

Medina w/wayzata schools-it's close to plymouth/maple grove/more bang for your buck.
look up this home=
495 Ridge View Circle , Medina, MN
or
306 Cherry Hill Trail, Medina, MN

Quote:
My husband has an interview in Wayzata and we started poking around on Realtor.com last night and really liked what we saw in Plymouth (with Wayzata schools)-- seems to have nice and diverse housing stock, decent sized lots, reasonable prices and great schools (at least in terms of Great School ratings, they're pretty much all 10s across the board). And, I know that hockey there is top notch (my son plays competitively, so good hockey is definitely a requirement but schools trump hockey-- but having BOTH great schools AND great hockey is ideal).

My husband will have to be in EP 5-6 mornings per week from roughly 6am-9am, how would the commute from EP back to Plymouth be at roughly 9am? And, he might have to go up to Elk River some evenings/weekends.. as our other top choice is Victoria, I know that Plymouth would be a much easier commute to Elk River than Victoria. He might also have to go out to Victoria some evenings.. what would the commute be like at 5:30/6pm from Plymouth to Victoria?

We have three kids (ages 6, 9, and 11), so I'll have two elementary schoolers and one middle schooler. We're hoping to spend under $400K but ideally would love to stay under $350K or even $300K, if we're going to do renovation (and we are completely comfortable with renovation-- in fact, we somewhat prefer something with great bones that's in dire need of a kitchen/bathroom overhaul so we can put our stamp on it).

For instance, either of these homes would totally work for us:

This one for $285K (which would need a good bit of reno): 3330 Vagabond Ln N, Plymouth, MN 55447 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Or this one for $375K (pretty much move in ready): 4780 Merrimac Ct N, Plymouth, MN 55446 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Am I missing something major about the area-- or should Plymouth be on my radar?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks, mnmarina, I'll check Medina out (PS Is it pronounced Meh-DEE-na or Meh-DYE-na)

And, golfgal, just saw what we could get in Rogers for under $300K and my jaw actually dropped. Definitely added to the list for consideration.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 PM

109 posts, read 188,727 times
Quote:
Thanks, mnmarina, I'll check Medina out (PS Is it pronounced Meh-DEE-na or Meh-DYE-na)

And, golfgal, just saw what we could get in Rogers for under $300K and my jaw actually dropped. Definitely added to the list for consideration.
The second pronunciation is right.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 PM

413 posts, read 763,275 times
Quote:

Most likely the quality of construction in Rogers isn't going to be as good as in Plymouth, and the people there are not going to maintain their property to the same level as people in Plymouth. Many of the subdivisions in Rogers were the same builders as where I lived in Brooklyn Park, and the quality was not top notch. Rogers was hit pretty hard by foreclosures too, so I would expect a lot of the same issues as northern Brooklyn Park.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM

There are good builders in rogers just watch out for rotlund.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for the info about Medina and Rogers. Also, is there a specific community that Rotlund built?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 AM

To my knowledge Rottlund wasn't building in Rogers. But all over the twin cities. They were one of the largest twin cities based builders, and have gone bankrupt. Any new home warranties which typically protect the home from major structural issues for 10 years would be void since they are no longer in business.

I'm not saying to avoid all rottlund homes, just be careful, make sure you get a good home inspector!

They sold off their developments (most recent develpoments)-The 10 developments were: Wildflower Meadows in Otsego; the Reserve in Plymouth; Victor Gardens in Hugo; the Lakes and Club West in Blaine; Arbor Crest in Inver Grove Heights; Ridgewood in Savage; Inspiration in Bayport; High Grove in Maple Grohve, and Harmony in Rosemount.

Some reputable builders in the twin cities that I've worked with Lennar, Hans Haggen, Mattamy, & Pulte.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
I'm not sure I would put Pulte in the "reputable" category I know Hans Hagen did a nice development in the St. Michael Area--which would be a good area for you to consider as well. They do a lot of custom homes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul