Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times

Advertisements

I'm flying in on Saturday will there be snow downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's up to you but, not worth the bad gas mileage for maybe one day every 10 years you might need it---and--issue probably is more tire related than drive related
Thankfully, the difference in MPG between the 2WD and AWD, at least for the vehicle we're considering, is only a loss of 1 MPG (19 city/24 highway for AWD vs 20 city/25 highway for FWD), so it's worth it (to me) for the peace of mind after not driving in ice/snow for over 10 years.. the minimal difference in MPG is likely because it's not all time AWD, it only kicks in if your front tires start slipping.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM

442 posts, read 496,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I'm flying in on Saturday will there be snow downtown?
Doubt it - I am downtown today..no snow to be seen. We live in the East Metro and barely had a dusting last night. North of here, though, oy.

I hate winter. Ready to abscond to a warmer climate!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM

781 posts, read 2,629,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
minimal difference in MPG is likely because it's not all time AWD, it only kicks in if your front tires start slipping.
Yes, I'm the technical nitpicking AWD evangelist ;-) If the vehicle has quote-unquote "fulltime 4WD" or "non-fulltime AWD" (like you described), then it is not true AWD. My girlfriend's RAV4 has fulltime 4WD, which is in fact exactly what you said. I've had many scary incidents in her car trying to cross a highway between traffic from one snowy avenue to another, only to have the car spin it's front tires, putting me in the first lane of the highway, THEN kicking in the rears when it realized what happened, shooting me across the road. Additionally, her RAV does not handle like an AWD car, it handles like the FWD it is, which means nonsensical recovery when losing control on wet or snowy roads.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM

^^yup, we're looking at a Toyota Highlander so I'm certain that it has the identical setup/transmission as your girlfriend's RAV4 (as they're both Toyotas)-- I'd prefer to have a Subaru or a *huge* SUV, but as I need a vehicle that can hold 3 kids, 2 dogs and 2 hockey (for 2 goalies, so even larger than normal) bags AND don't want to get 12MPG, there aren't many choices that fit that bill while still providing either all time AWD or 'true' 4X4, sigh.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
there aren't many choices that fit that bill while still providing either all time AWD or 'true' 4X4, sigh.
It's true. Have you looked at the Subaru Tribeca? It's true AWD, biggish, and gets 16/22. That might be a bit poor for you, or the Tribeca might be out of your price range; just a thought.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Funnily enough, I just started looking at that exact vehicle in the last 30 minutes and have a call into my local dealer (for some reason I thought it was a 5 passenger, but it holds 7)-- it's in our price range but the MPG is a bit lower than I'd like and holds 7 instead of 8 passengers (the Highlander holds 8), but, all that said, I'm going to check it out this weekend.. thanks for the suggestion!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM

117 posts, read 161,517 times
I think that tires are a big part of the equation. A number of years back, my husband and I had a Mazda 3 and a Toyota RAV4 w/4WD. At the time, we did most of our driving in the Mazda 3, and when its original set of tires wore out, decided to go out and buy a set of snow tires for that car to use in the winter. They made a HUGE difference traction wise - I think the small FWD car with snow tires handled better than our RAV4 with 4WD/stability/traction control and the standard stock tires.

After we had our son, we sold the Mazda 3 and the RAV4 became our regular driver (and still is). At that time, we decided to drop the money on a set of winter tires for the RAV, and its performance in the snow improved quite a bit. Neither of us had a car with snow tires until about 5 years ago, and I don't think I know anyone else who lives here who has them. But I'm now a big believer in having a set for our primary car.

I agree that cars with real AWD (Subaru) are awesome in the snow. We once test drove an Impreza in the wintertime, and my husband took it to an empty, snow covered parking lot and did donuts. I don't think it slipped at all.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIll11 View Post
Bel Air sure has changed.
Lol the neighborhood must have bought winter for a day.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
But I'm now a big believer in having a set for our primary car.
Agreed! I run Blizzaks on the Audi and will never look back, but if you have a FWD car, I highly recommend putting dedicated snows on all four. It will make a world of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul