Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraJade13 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm moving to MPS in a few months from the Carolinas and I'm trying to get a feel for how folks dress in your area. Down this way, casual preppy is considered the norm in most cities and college towns. I like to blend that with a little alternative and metropolitan style and vary outfits by the day.

I know staying insulated is a top priority half of the year, but people still manage to express themselves (I promise, I do understand the magnitude of the cold). And what about the milder seasons? Let me know your thoughts, what sort of styles you see around you and whether they're specific to certain areas and subcultures. Thanks!
In general, compared to Raleigh and Charlotte, anyway, you see that people are dressed much less preppy. You don't see guys doing the khakis/lacoste button down/sperries outfit on guys as often. People generally dress a little more grungy/hipster/granola. An example; I once went out in Raleigh wearing old boots, jeans, and a t-shirt from a bar I worked at in MPLS. I looked like a rube; about the only guy in the place that didn't have on a collared shirt. It would have worked in MPLS; not so much in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM

60 posts, read 80,837 times
I agree, it really depends on where you are living, your age and the social circles you tend to gravitate towards. The town I live in is very brand/label driven. Louis Vuitton and Lululemon are very big here. I believe North Face is huge everywhere in MN (at least the Twin Cities, I don't know anything about the rest of the State) it's like a fashion staple. Hunter rain boots, and of course, Uggs are also popular. It's definitely not preppy here, although some preppy brands like Vineyard Vines are starting to trickle in. People definitely like their neutral colors, except for some Moms who like to go with the magenta thing for whatever reason. Remember, it's the mid-west, fashion trends here are probably 4-5 years behind the Coasts.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Remember, it's the mid-west, fashion trends here are probably 4-5 years behind the Coasts.
That is absolutely false. That may be true for rural areas and outstate Minnesota in general, but definitely not in the Twin Cities.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
That is absolutely false. That may be true for rural areas and outstate Minnesota in general, but definitely not in the Twin Cities.
It's more like 10 years behind. Saying "the coasts" overstates things a bit, though. "Style and Fashion" in the USA almost entirely centered in NYC with a smaller bit in LA.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM

369 posts, read 633,233 times
That also generalizes things. People in D.C. do not dress the same as NYC, nor do people in Portland dress like those in Los Angeles. I don't think it's necessarily that the Minneapolis is 5-10 years behind NYC in terms of fashion, it's that the lifestyle and expectations are so different. More people in bigger cities are going to appreciate and gravitate toward high fashion and designer duds, but that doesn't mean no one in the Midwest or South will feel the same way.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Jennifat: agree to whole heartedly disagree

Rzzz: agreed

Justabitoff: there are many trends and brands that certainly do not make it to the mid-west until years later. Not just talking about high fashion.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Jennifat: agree to whole heartedly disagree

Rzzz: agreed

Justabitoff: there are many trends and brands that certainly do not make it to the mid-west until years later. Not just talking about high fashion.
Like who? As others have mentioned, I'd wager most brands are at MOA, in Chicago and other larger cities. Small podunk towns? Sure. But small podunk towns in New Hampshire and New York have much different styles than Boston and New York City. That isn't a Midwest thing...

Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM

I'd also argue that Minneapolis and Portland have a more similar style than Portland and Los Angeles. Generalizing the whole "coast" as being one thing is ridiculous. Portland and LA are not the same in style and trends just because they occupy the same time zone.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Justabitoff I believe rzzz has already pointed out that saying "the coasts" overstates things a bit, to which I agreed. IMO when one refers to the Coasts in terms of fashion, NY an LA are implied.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
In a previous life, I built an analytics platform for a fashion e-commerce site. There was a lot of interesting info available. 70% of their sales were in NYC, 20% in LA and then a surprising amount in Texas. Dallas was higher on the list than Chicago, for instance. Minnesota did not register in the statistics, really. Anecdotally, Minnesotans adopt trends that aren't flashy or expensive. The more out there street wear and most high end brands just bypass the area entirely. People are far more concerned about being overdressed than being underdressed. People do not want to stick out and tend towards being nosey and judgmental about people who do stick out. Minnesotans also tend to be too physically big for many trends. I cannot fit into any jackets from Japan or Europe because my shoulders are too large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul