Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM

41 posts, read 78,448 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I may be moving to the twin cities area soon and need some info. (we currently live in CT, but are Russian originally so the weather concerns are not an issue for us We are a toddler, big dog and husband and wife package.

My husband will most likely be working in the Downtown West area. For the first year or so we would be renting as we would like the option to explore the area for a permanent place to settle at a later point.

Some of our needs for a rental:
- House with at least 2 bedrooms, backyard, land. (land not a must as this is not permanent)
- Big dog friendly (he doesn't bark and is very well trained)
- In a safe and green (meaning farther from the city proper with trees and green spaces to roam) neighborhood that is far enough away from the city but not a huge commute.
- A neighborhood with young families
- I'm going to leave the rent $ open as I would like to see what the scale looks like

Another question concerns whether its a hassle to live in say St.Paul and work in Minn and vice versa i.e. traffic etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mbee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 PM

369 posts, read 631,886 times
94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul can have a lot of slow downs during rush hour. But that's sort of rush hour everywhere! It's not excessively bad.

I feel like you have a lot of options. South Minneapolis would probably be really good, especially eastside where the lightrail is. There are loads of parks over there. But if you went outside the city, places like St. Louis Park or Golden Valley might be good too because they are first ring suburbs and easy to get around.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,733,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbee View Post
Hello all,

My family and I may be moving to the twin cities area soon and need some info. (we currently live in CT, but are Russian originally so the weather concerns are not an issue for us We are a toddler, big dog and husband and wife package.

My husband will most likely be working in the Downtown West area. For the first year or so we would be renting as we would like the option to explore the area for a permanent place to settle at a later point.

Some of our needs for a rental:
- House with at least 2 bedrooms, backyard, land. (land not a must as this is not permanent)
- Big dog friendly (he doesn't bark and is very well trained)
- In a safe and green (meaning farther from the city proper with trees and green spaces to roam) neighborhood that is far enough away from the city but not a huge commute.
- A neighborhood with young families
- I'm going to leave the rent $ open as I would like to see what the scale looks like

Another question concerns whether its a hassle to live in say St.Paul and work in Minn and vice versa i.e. traffic etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mbee
Plymouth, a suburb West of Downtown is nice, close to work & has a good Russian community from what I understand?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,274,181 times
How much are you willing to spend on rent, and would you consider a townhouse or duplex? Would you consider an apartment in an apt building with green space outside and walking areas for the dog and kiddo? Also what do you consider a "huge commute?"

Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 AM

74 posts, read 89,751 times
I think you would like Plymouth or Maple Grove-for townhomes your looking at 1300-1500 and single family 1400-1800. Yes there is a growing Russian community here! Very friendly -I often see groups of 15-25 of Russian Friends/Family dining out on Sundays together. There are lots of great parks and trails in the three rivers park district. French Lake Park and Elm Creek Park are amazing for kids.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
How much are you willing to spend on rent, and would you consider a townhouse or duplex? Would you consider an apartment in an apt building with green space outside and walking areas for the dog and kiddo? Also what do you consider a "huge commute?"
Our mortgage currently is around $2500 a month. Being a rental, we would hope to come in well under this.

Our one issue with a townhouse or condo is that we have 2 family cars and 2 "project vehicles". This many cars and the stuff that accompanies them requires a garage and space to fit it all.

I am also curious about breed specific discrimination, specifically in terms of rentals. We have a pitbull. He is very well trained and as sweet as punch, but folks take one look and shut doors.

-M

Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,189,627 times
Quote:
Our mortgage currently is around $2500 a month. Being a rental, we would hope to come in well under this.

Our one issue with a townhouse or condo is that we have 2 family cars and 2 "project vehicles". This many cars and the stuff that accompanies them requires a garage and space to fit it all.

I am also curious about breed specific discrimination, specifically in terms of rentals. We have a pitbull. He is very well trained and as sweet as punch, but folks take one look and shut doors.

-M
It will be difficult to find a rental that will allow pit bulls. They are on the dangerous breed list for pretty much every insurance company out there and that will disallow renting to people with a pit bull.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It will be difficult to find a rental that will allow pit bulls. They are on the dangerous breed list for pretty much every insurance company out there and that will disallow renting to people with a pit bull.
Do you say this as a specific reference to MN? Or just insurance? I'm curious if there is local problems mostly. We have come up against the lot of issues in our area so no stranger to that

Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul can have a lot of slow downs during rush hour. But that's sort of rush hour everywhere! It's not excessively bad.

I feel like you have a lot of options. South Minneapolis would probably be really good, especially eastside where the lightrail is. There are loads of parks over there. But if you went outside the city, places like St. Louis Park or Golden Valley might be good too because they are first ring suburbs and easy to get around.
When you say slow downs, what sort of time are we talking? An hour? 20 min? Currently I commute an hour each way on the train and have done 1:30 as well. I have been told that its not a good idea to be living somewhere where you have to commute through the entirety of either St.Paul to get to work in Minn or vice versa.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,189,627 times
Quote:
Do you say this as a specific reference to MN? Or just insurance? I'm curious if there is local problems mostly. We have come up against the lot of issues in our area so no stranger to that
I say it in reference to insurance companies pretty much everywhere. They can't discriminate so it's all or nothing, either the breed is on the list or it is not. You can look up the dangerous breeds on any insurance company website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul