Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Don't worry- blood thickens tremendously when it freezes.
So I've heard, LOL. To be fair, I have also lived in Montreal, Toronto, NJ and NYC, so I have seen and lived in snow-- so I'm not 100% Floridian, just mostly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
NJ is very suburban, though. I don't think there would be much difference between living in Eagan and living in a place like Whitehouse Station besides the different temperatures and home prices. MN is less diverse so there isn't going to be a strip mall with a Korean grocery store, Indian, Italian and Russian restaurant in the middle of nowhere like there is in NJ.
No, not in the middle of nowhere, but you can find some of these places in suburban and outlying exurban areas of the region these days.

St. Petersburg Russian Restaurant and Vodka Bar in Robbinsdale: St Petersburg Restaurant & Vodkabar. (named as one of the top ten vodka bars in the US by USA Today; 5 miles northwest of downtown Minneapolis).

Perron's Sul Lago in Prior Lake: Perron's Sul Lago - Italian Bistro on the Lake. (25 miles southwest of dt Mpls).

Chapati in Northfield: Chapati Indian Restaurant - Northfield, MN | Yelp. (43 miles south of dt Mpls).

In Minnesota it is the quirky attractions that are found in the middle of nowhere...LOL!

World's largest ball of twine by one person in tiny Darwin, MN: World's Largest Twine Ball, Darwin, Minnesota (60 miles west of dt Mpls).

FWIW: this was the first thing I did after arriving in MN on a trip back in Oct 2005. It was a redeye flight arriving around 7 AM as I recall and I could not check into the motel right away, so drove west to check this out. There was a small museum next to it run by a nice older guy who provided some useless but funny trivia that Weird Al Yankovich had visited twice. Also spent some time in beautiful Excelsior on Lake Minnetonka on my way back to the Cities before checking in: www.excelsior-lakeminnetonkachamber.com.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-09-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM

60 posts, read 80,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Money set aside I can't imagine someone coming from NJ whose lived there his whole life to love Minnesota or even like it. Just as I could Never live on the east coast. Too much of an extreme difference in every way except maybe whether but even that. Salary is great but so is sanity.
Agreed. Is weather your only consideration???? I hope not and would suggest you read some other posts on MN. Search "Minnesota nice"perhaps to get a feel for the culture. For many transplants it it NOT a good fit.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No, not in the middle of nowhere, but you can find some of these places in suburban and outlying exurban areas of the region these days.

St. Petersburg Russian Restaurant and Vodka Bar in Robbinsdale: St Petersburg Restaurant & Vodkabar. (named as one of the top ten vodka bars in the US by USA Today; 5 miles northwest of downtown Minneapolis).

Perron's Sul Lago in Prior Lake: Perron's Sul Lago - Italian Bistro on the Lake. (25 miles southwest of dt Mpls).

Chapati in Northfield: Chapati Indian Restaurant - Northfield, MN | Yelp. (43 miles south of dt Mpls).

In Minnesota it is the quirky attractions that are found in the middle of nowhere...LOL!

World's largest ball of twine by one person in tiny Darwin, MN: World's Largest Twine Ball, Darwin, Minnesota (60 miles west of dt Mpls).

FWIW: this was the first thing I did after arriving in MN on a trip back in Oct 2005. It was a redeye flight arriving around 7 AM as I recall and I could not check into the motel right away, so drove west to check this out. There was a small museum next to it run by a nice older guy who provided some useless but funny trivia that Weird Al Yankovich had visited twice. Also spent some time in beautiful Excelsior on Lake Minnetonka on my way back to the Cities before checking in: Excelsior-Lake Minnetonka Chamber of Commerce - Home.
Chess geek for what it's worth. you sound like a Minnesotan who needs to move back to Minnesota (assuming you haven't already)

Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Chess geek for what it's worth. you sound like a Minnesotan who needs to move back to Minnesota (assuming you haven't already)
I grew up there. Would only do so upon retiring. Will visit again; have an aunt and cousin in western WI and still keep in touch with a couple old Fridley neighbors. Was mainly sharing that information for the benefit of people that are considering a move to Minnesota (and several are).

Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 PM

194 posts, read 400,447 times
If they are willing to pay you the same salary you are making in NYC there's not even anything to think about. Go.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Money set aside I can't imagine someone coming from NJ whose lived there his whole life to love Minnesota or even like it. Just as I could Never live on the east coast. Too much of an extreme difference in every way except maybe whether but even that. Salary is great but so is sanity.
Minntoaz- agreed coming from an east coast transplant. Tough, especially with no family in the mid-west

Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to NJ? Apart from the coastal towns, NJ looks and feels very much like MN.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Have you ever been to NJ? Apart from the coastal towns, NJ looks and feels very much like MN.
Where in NJ reminds you of MN? While there may be some parts of NJ that feel like some parts of MN, I don't see much of a resemblance.

That said, I see no reason to assume that someone who had lived in NJ all his or her life would automatically not like MN. I enjoy MN, but I also loved living on the east coast. And there are certainly plenty of contented former New Yorkers and former New Jersey residents living here in MN now. (and vice-versa)

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 32,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Where in NJ reminds you of MN? While there may be some parts of NJ that feel like some parts of MN, I don't see much of a resemblance.
The pine barrens come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul