Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Do you have young kids? It comes up a lot when people join a certain hockey league bc they don't practice Sunday morning, or a sleepover on Saturday night may not be the best idea because of church the next morning, etc etc.
Yes, I have a kid in elementary school. We know some people who attend church, as well as many who don't. It does sometimes come up in casual conversation -- like your scheduling scenario -- but I guess I don't think mentioning it in that context counts as talking much about religion. I've lived somewhere where people outright asked about church membership or outright invited you to attend services, and people just don't do that (normally) around here. I don't recall anyone asking me ever about whether or not I am religious in this state. I'm not, and I feel no need to hide that (or any reason to mention it to anyone, for that matter) and that hasn't made any difference in my life or in my kid's life. So for the poster worried that he wouldn't fit in because he wasn't religious, well, I think he will be fine. No one will care one way or the other about his religious faith or lack of faith. Now will sometimes he need to take other peoples' religious schedules or needs into consideration? Sure, but that's true anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:12 PM

60 posts, read 80,878 times
Golfgal : agreed, people may be laid back about their religious beliefs here and perhaps nonjudgemental, yet most attend on a regular basis, which makes religion part of the culture. Period.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Golfgal : agreed, people may be laid back about their religious beliefs here and perhaps nonjudgemental, yet most attend on a regular basis, which makes religion part of the culture. Period.
You would also find it a part of the culture in 100+ or so other communities in the nation. In many to a greater degree. Period.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-11-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 04:15 PM

As a final comment on the religion aspect, this organization has also become part of the culture in the Twin Cities region. They have thrown out the first pitch at St. Paul Saints games and annually march in the gay pride parade in downtown Minneapolis with a large banner. Tolerance and acceptance (not to be confused with agreement necessarily) is pretty close to off the charts for them and especially for a Midwestern city: www.mnatheists.org.

I would also seriously doubt if any posters here had a problem with this being shared (and realize some who are seriously devout may choose not to read the website...100% respect that, too). Just want to counter any mis-perception that religion in MSP dominates the culture and drowns out anything else. Nothing could be further from the truth. Mainly food for thought for famrelo's benefit. A quick check of the website leaves no doubt they are part of the culture in MSP these days. Period.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-11-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 PM

60 posts, read 80,878 times
Chees geek Your passion for Minnesota is evident. However, putting words in others' mouths is both offensive and counterproductive. So long.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Just sharing additional information and a website for atheists in Minnesota. If they are generally cool with people in MSP, almost anyone can be with a little effort. They are part of the culture there now. I have also read several prior posts on city data that even a large number of people in non-Christian religions feel welcome in the region. MSP is known as the most religiously tolerant region in the Midwest (maybe a tie between MSP and Madison, WI) and even better than some areas on the coasts. Religion is a part of the culture throughout the country. Sorry if that should offend anyone. (BTW, don't ever move to Topeka, KS...home of the Westboro Baptist Church!). We'll agree to disagree. That is all I have to say. Take it easy and good luck.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-11-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM

47 posts, read 198,060 times
From California and lived in 4 other states beside Minnesota and I would say yes for sure. Would be really hard to move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul