Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 PM

26 posts, read 79,061 times

Advertisements

we currently live in northfield and my husband commutes to edina for work. it's not great, but doable. we need to move into a more suitable rental and with the college students in town, there just aren't any in our price range or to our liking (not that landlords won't rent to a family, but the properties we've looked at so far are kind of run down).
we found a nice house in a good part of crystal (just south of crystal center) but am a little hesitant with respect to the amount of traffic around the otherwise quiet neighborhood (i'm a small town girl). we're looking at a rental in prescott tomorrow and don't know much about the place except that it's a quaint and very small town. the nature factor appeals to us, especially as the boys love to fish.
time wise, we'd be about 5 min closer from prescott compared to northfield, but i'm wondering how the 10 stretch is like for commuting, summer and winter. he works third shift.

also, what's the train noise like there? the property is about half a mile from the track before it turns onto the bridge. checking the mndot webpage, it looks like there are 30-40 freight trains per day--anyone knows if that's correct? i think here in town we get about 10 (according to same map, i haven't counted) and we're 0.7 miles away from tracks. it doesn't bother me here, but triple or more that, perhaps?

and if anyone knows, how's the fishing like (no boat)? looking at the map i didn't see any indication of public beach or other access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
I think your commute from Northfield is probably easier. The problem with 10 is it's the only road so if there is an accident or construction you are pretty much stuck. You could back track through Hastings but you are going through town and it's going to take forever. Then, you have to get through 494/35 or the Crosstown/35 intersection to get to Edina--both of which are horrible during rush hour. If you want smaller town, I'd suggest Cannon Falls, Farmington and Rosemount on the south side of the metro. You could possibly check Prior Lake as well. They would all be easier commutes than Prescott.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

26 posts, read 79,061 times
thanks, good points. my husband doesn't work day hours, so rush hours wouldn't affect him. but we've had to take back roads from northfield for other reasons and it's good backup for sure.
we'd prefer a small town not just cause it's small, but more for recreational nature based opportunities. i'm not really smitten by cannon falls or farmington.
we've liked shakopee too, despite the commuting difficulties, but no good rentals so far. we may just settle for crystal, at least the house was in great condition and the neighborhood relatively crime-free.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,280,893 times
Prescott has great fishing, especially for kids. Ask around about spots where you don't need a boat. The town has friendly people and I have always thought it was pretty charming. That said, I would suggest you avoid it just because of the commute. If you go up 61 to 494, its going to be a bear most days unless he works totally at night. If you go up the WI side to 94 to 494 its going to be even worse.

Another thing about Prescott (I grew up in River Falls) is that the schools aren't that great, plus there is no hospital. Your shopping time and gas is going to be higher too, because there aren't very many stores in Prescott. I don't think they even have a grocery store, unless one has been built recently.

I would suggest, if you want a small town, to look at Waconia or near that area. Worked at a camp there and thought the town was great. Lots of fishing there, too, LOL!!

Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Prescott has great fishing, especially for kids. Ask around about spots where you don't need a boat. The town has friendly people and I have always thought it was pretty charming. That said, I would suggest you avoid it just because of the commute. If you go up 61 to 494, its going to be a bear most days unless he works totally at night. If you go up the WI side to 94 to 494 its going to be even worse.

Another thing about Prescott (I grew up in River Falls) is that the schools aren't that great, plus there is no hospital. Your shopping time and gas is going to be higher too, because there aren't very many stores in Prescott. I don't think they even have a grocery store, unless one has been built recently.

I would suggest, if you want a small town, to look at Waconia or near that area. Worked at a camp there and thought the town was great. Lots of fishing there, too, LOL!!
There is a grocery store on 10 just west of Prescott before the turnoff to River Falls. There are also lots of shopping choices in Red Wing and in Hudson, neither of which is too far away.

I'd never want to do a commute like this, but I think that most people are missing the third shift angle and overstating the traffic situation. But if he ever gets transferred to the day shift, this is going to be one very nasty commute on the best days.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
I missed the 3rd shift too, but traffic coming home will still be an issue, but not going to work. I like Prescott, it's a cute town and has a nice beach on the St. Croix. Personally I would pick Cannon Falls over Crystal any day of the week but, I guess it comes down to housing.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 AM

137 posts, read 225,945 times
If you want to stay in a small town and keep roughly the same commute, you're looking in the wrong direction. Look west and then north. Lonsdale, New Prague, Jordan, Norwood Young America, Waconia, Watertown, Delano, Buffalo, and many more. There are enough options that you should be able to find something that suits your preferences. Heck, depending on exactly where you live Faribault could actually give you a faster commute than Northfield.

Personally, I'd go for an option like Crystal that cuts the commute. I'm a small town person myself, but the difference in lifestyle isn't big enough to justify a commute for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul