Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to St. Paul from out of state. Tomorrow, my boyfriend and I are meeting up with one of his coworkers and his wife. Unfortunately, I think I have to pick the activity. As far as I know, the other couple is also from out of town, so they aren't much of a resource for finding local events and attractions.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we should do this weekend? Since I'm studying for the bar right now, I haven't really had time to research anything fun/cool/interesting to do in the area. Therefore, your recommendations are highly appreciated!

Anything that avoids alcohol is especially welcomed because I think the other couple abstains from consuming alcohol. It might be a little awkward if we show up at a bar!

Also, I believe that they have children who may or may not come, so I would love to know about any events taking place in a family friendly environment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM

292 posts, read 892,592 times
50 things to do in the Twin Cities before you die | City Pages

Start with that. Otherwise look at Vita.mn: Twin Cities Arts & Entertainment or Minneapolis News and Events | City Pages

Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,812,317 times
I dont know much about St. Paul, but:
The Walker Museum
Stone Arch Bridge
The Como Zoo
The MN Zoo
Lyndale Farmers Market
Mill City Farmers Market
Minnihaha Falls (sp)
Lake Harriet Bandshell

Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
Not sure about events, specifically, but you could do that Minneapolis classic and go visit Lake Calhoun. Maybe get something to eat at Tin Fish. Depending on how ambitious you are, you could rent a canoe and canoe around Lake Calhoun or into Lake of the Isles. Or check out Lake Harriet -- there are often concerts at the Lake Harriet Bandshell, otherwise it's just a pleasant place to walk or just people watch. Head over to Sebastian Joe's in the heart of Linden Hills (and just a block from the lake) for ice cream.

There's an Open Streets event in North Minneapolis this weekend. (And then one on Lyndale Ave South on June 8). They close off the street to traffic and bikers and walkers get to take over. I've only been to the Lyndale one, but it's fun. Very grassroots. I know the Lyndale one will also have lots of live music.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 PM

371 posts, read 557,189 times
I would go to the Minnehaha Falls across the Ford Parkway bridge. You can eat at Sea Salt and walk down the stairs around the falls. You can rent those surrey bikes that fit four or more.

If you were meeting them on Sunday morning, then go to Grand Old Day. There is free stuff for kids to do (like inflatable slides and bounce houses) at Ramsey Middle School in the morning.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,209,164 times
Unfortunately, both baseball teams (Minnesota Twins, St. Paul Saints) are on the road Saturday or else I would have suggested that. You could go to Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in St. Paul: Como Park Zoo and Conservatory. The charming town of Stillwater on the beautiful St. Croix river just a short drive east of St. Paul is another option. It has some nice antique stores and good restaurants. If the other couple brings their children, be sure to visit Teddy Bear Park if you choose Stillwater.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,048,228 times
If you go to Sea Salt, go at 11am or you'll be in line half the day.

Unfortunately, it is supposed to thunderstorm all weekend. For an indoor activity, I recommend the Matisse exhibit at the MIA.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 PM

148 posts, read 149,568 times
Can't think of too many big events, but since you live in St. Paul and maybe (?) haven't seen too much of Minneapolis, here are a few options:

1. If you like city stuff, go down to Mill Ruins Park. Check out the Mill City Museum (the brick one with no roof) and the Guthrie Theater (the blue one with too much of a roof). Make sure to get on Guthrie's "Endless Bridge," which you can do for free and is a fantastic view of St. Anthony Falls. Then go across the Stone Arch Bridge to the East Bank, take a left, and you'll see cobblestoned historic Main Street, which can get you closer to the falls via Water Power Park. I mean, really close, like "drink the water" close. Don't actually drink the water. Finally, catch a movie at St. Anthony Main Theater.

2. If you like outdoorsy stuff, check out Fort Snelling State Park, which has the historic Fort Snelling that just opened for the summer. In the park, if you go down to the flats under the river bluffs, you can check out the Visitor Center (which, swear to God, smells like the summer camp you went to when you were 8 years old) and Pike Island, which has this gorgeous 2.5 mile hike right on the banks of the Mississippi and the Minnesota. WARNING: It floods in May, so might still be muddy. If it is, just head to Coldwater Spring halfway between Minnehaha Falls and Fort Snelling, which is just as relaxing.

3. Just in case the kids aren't coming along, go to a show at either Acme Comedy Company in Minneapolis' Warehouse District or Joke Joint Comedy Club in St. Paul right near Lilydale Park (which is also a beautiful natural area, so there's something!). Acme has a fantastic atmosphere and some great regular comedians (Miller, Erikson, and Abshire are especially good), and is probably my favorite club I've ever visited. Also, they have a comedian featuring there this weekend from the Groundling's, and that's never a bad thing. I haven't been to Joke Joint, but I've heard great things about it, and this weekend there's this guy named Pat Susmilch who will be performing there...I think. He was just on Last Comic Standing, kinda short white balding guy, can't miss him. Warning: there's no drink minimum, but there will be alcohol around you, so I fully understand if this option doesn't work.

4. Visit the Capitol building. Guided tours are from 10-2, and those guys know what they're talking about. Which is good, because the Capitol's art and architecture is absolutely beautiful, it has a lot of history behind it, and it can also turn into a maze very quickly. One of the guides has massive, 1800's-like sideburns, and he knows everything about the place.

Other options:
-The Science Museum in St. Paul has a "Behind the Scenes" thing tomorrow where they'll be showing people the inner workings of the museum. And you can see the dinosaurs. The kids'll love it or be terrified, maybe both.
-The Minnesota History Center is always fun too. No major events this weekend though.
-If the kids do come along, and they like birds...St. Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota has a Raptor Center. They have onsite tours from volunteers. Have you ever seen a bald eagle 5 feet from your face? Oh my GOD.
-Everybody else's ideas are good too.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 AM

391 posts, read 661,062 times
As cheddar mentioned - Grand Old Day in St. Paul's Grand Ave. district is tomorrow. Might be a soggy one though.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM

106 posts, read 161,783 times
Linden Hills. Eat at Tilia, get a great cup of coffee from Coffee and Tea Ltd. next door, or Sebastian Joe's ice cream. If kids are with, head to Wild Rumpus bookstore. If it is a nice day, walk along Lake Harriet to the bandshell. Consider a ride on the trolley.

And that is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul