Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 54,312 times

Advertisements

I think a mod needs to delete around 8 pictures from the minneapolis page on this site. the pictures of the big brick project buildings and the small ones are from Bronx NY and Queens NY

QueensBridge projects and Bronx projects are featured on this page they shouldnt be there not from Minneapolis but from NY

Whats with you people trying to make Minneapolis ghetto when its not, seriously people are trying so hard to make it ghetto they get NY project buildings to represent there city 1500 miles away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I've noticed a trend on this forum that folks who leave areas in which they are generally not content love to come back and bash their native areas, even if they're perfectly happy in their new community. You'll see a lot of these "experts" on the PA and NY forums especially who left each state in the 1990s for the Sunbelt and then think they are still somehow "enlightened" enough to chime in with why such and such an area where they came from 15 years ago is uninhabitable and undesirable. My area tends to be a laggard in terms of change, but even the explosive growth and dynamic improvements that have occurred here over the past five years are incredible. As such, I could only imagine how much other areas of the nation change in a 10-15 year period. Why then do ex-natives of areas feel so qualified to comment intelligently about the "bad parts" of town? Ever hear of a little thing called "gentrification?" It can occur quickly in places like New York City or slowly in places like Scranton, PA. Nevertheless, it does occur and can transform the demographic characteristics of neighborhoods overnight.

I don't know if it's cognitive dissonance or what, but I've noticed that a tremendous number of folks who have fled to the Sunbelt feel the need to come back and bash Northerners on their own forums. Trust me, if I had to live in an autocentric suburban wasteland like much of the Sunbelt, where people cheer the arrival of new Wal-Marts, I think I'd probably go insane---it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I suppose these folks begin to second-guess their decisions to move out of the North and then need to bash their home areas as a sign of positive reinforcement.

The perception of Minneapolis/St. Paul is overwhelmingly positive and very far-reaching. There is a reason why a small part of me has always wanted to live in the Twin Cities, and it's due to how much positive press it gets here in PA. I wouldn't be so concerned about what a couple sore losers from the Sunbelt try to post in order to tarnish your area's already stellar reputation. We experience the same thing in NY/NJ/PA as well. I wish these folks would just STAY OUT once they leave. After all, if these areas were making you so miserable in the first place, then why come back onto these forums and atagonize the fine educated folks who are striving to bring about positive change from within? Could it be that their newfound greener pastures are browner than they ever could have imagined, and instead of crawling back with their tails between their legs and crows in their mouths they'd rather do their best to drag their native states down to their perceived levels?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
wow. I don't disagree with you.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
per capita, Minneapolis is more dangerous than NYC anyway.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
Ya! tell em Nick!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:10 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
NYC has basically been Disneyland as far as large metro areas go for about 10-15 years now. Proof in numbers...last I checked its people acting like NY was rugged, when in reality its about the safest large city there is. Guess that blows about 90% of the rap worlds credibility, huh?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
per capita, Minneapolis is more dangerous than NYC anyway.

Every major city in the U.S. is more dangerous than New York, not to mention many smaller to mid size cities. New York is ridiculously safe now. It went from topping the nation's violent crime and homicide lists 15 years ago to not even registering on said lists today. It's been that way for about 10 years now. It's basically one big urban Disneyworld to tell you the truth. Yes, pockets of rough neighborhoods still exist in the Big Apple but they are getting fewer and far between. Most violent crime takes place in low income communities, and New York is running out of those. Land is simply too valuable there for them to allow low income communites to exist, when they can build and develop middle to upper income communites which contribute much more in tax money.

_

Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
NYC has basically been Disneyland as far as large metro areas go for about 10-15 years now. Proof in numbers...last I checked its people acting like NY was rugged, when in reality its about the safest large city there is. Guess that blows about 90% of the rap worlds credibility, huh?
That is because NYC is becoming a city only for the very wealthy. A lot of the low lives are being priced out and are headed to medium-sized metropolitan areas in PA (including my own), Upstate NY, NJ, and New England. If you want to live in Manhattan now the only "affordable" section is Harlem, and gentrification is occurring there as well. Parts of Brooklyn, such as Park Slope, have become hotbeds as well for ex-Manhattanites who have become priced out. Staten Island is more or less an overglorified dense suburb. Parts of The Bronx and Queens remain rough, but if the cost-of-living here continues to skyrocket, those two boroughs will become gentrified as well with Manhattan's ex-middle-class.

Minneapolis is still a VERY affordable city in relation to the rest of the nation. I have to laugh when I read posts on here talking about "oppressive" taxes and $220,000 for a new construction home in the suburbs being "very expensive." Even in my area that's the norm, and I live in an area that was recently rated as having the nation's fourth most affordable real estate market. If you folks want to see expensive, see 1 BR flats in Manhattan going for $2,000/month or standard 3-bedroom, 1.5-bath homes in North Jersey going for $500,000, accompanied by annual property taxes of $6,000+. You're spoiled in Minnesota for sure.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M504 View Post
I think a mod needs to delete around 8 pictures from the minneapolis page on this site. the pictures of the big brick project buildings and the small ones are from Bronx NY and Queens NY

QueensBridge projects and Bronx projects are featured on this page they shouldnt be there not from Minneapolis but from NY

Whats with you people trying to make Minneapolis ghetto when its not, seriously people are trying so hard to make it ghetto they get NY project buildings to represent there city 1500 miles away
GOLFGAL or CORNERGUY1, M504 is very right; thank you for bringing this up M504 (and it's more like about 2 dozen or more pictures) as to date I had never looked at these pictures.

All of the pictures with any of the following in their titles: "abondoned housing", "projects", "northside", and all of the wierd racially charged pictures titled "blacks playing basketball in the projects" etc. are NOT in Minneapolis (believe they are all NYC but it doesn't really matter where they are at) and they should be removed, some very prolific jokester is trying to make some type of point. You'll have to trust me on this one, I can make a point to try and submit/ replace the pictures with actual pictures that represent the diversity of Minneapolis; BUT the photos that are up are not representations of anywhere in Minneapolis and do a disservice to our neighborhoods/ communities here (we have no massive miles-long project complexes here). This is the second time a poster has brought this up, until now I never knew where they were looking. A good rule of thumb when adding/ deleting Minneapolis pictures would be to ask "have i ever seen this place?" or "does this look like New York and not Minneapolis?" or "is the location stated in the picture title (this might be a good thing to require) an actual intersection or place in Minneapolis?"

PLEASE REMOVE THE ABOVE-MENTIONED PICTURES!!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
To all of you experts on NYC if you have actually spent anytime in NYC, and not just looked up statistics, can you tell me how NYC compares to Minneapolis in day to day living. I am a NYC native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul