Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times

Advertisements

So I have accepted a position in downtown Minneapolis, I am moving from Grayslake, IL. I am very excited. I am looking for a nice area for a family, so good schools, parks, and public transportation into the downtown area, some little restaurants and a pub would be a plus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have some friends in the Lakeville area, which is nice but I would like to be closer in. I have heard of the Northeast area, but I need names of neighborhoods. I am looking for a 4 bedroom house max rent of $2K.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 157,064 times
For NE Minneapolis, I think $2K for a 4BR may be slightly optimistic. I'm not an expert on house rentals however.

I would consider looking into Columbia Heights, the suburb immediately north of the NE area. Both Central Ave. & University Ave are major thoroughfares that connect Columbia Heights to NE, which has countless pubs and urban restaurants as well as several bus routes that cross the river into downtown. The 25 bus connects downtown with Columbia Heights directly.

I'd also consider Richfield and certain parts of South Minneapolis (possibly Kingfield, Powderhorn)

Old 06-15-2014, 08:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwins View Post
For NE Minneapolis, I think $2K for a 4BR may be slightly optimistic. I'm not an expert on house rentals however.

I would consider looking into Columbia Heights, the suburb immediately north of the NE area. Both Central Ave. & University Ave are major thoroughfares that connect Columbia Heights to NE, which has countless pubs and urban restaurants as well as several bus routes that cross the river into downtown. The 25 bus connects downtown with Columbia Heights directly.

I'd also consider Richfield and certain parts of South Minneapolis (possibly Kingfield, Powderhorn)
None of these areas have good schools though....

Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Columbia Heights has the Global Academy.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 AM

106 posts, read 161,292 times
You may be able to rent in St. Louis Park for that budget. Schools have a better reputation than many of the areas already mentioned from what I can tell. Proximity of SLP to Calhoun, Uptown, and Downtown is very favorable.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

St. Louis Park is another good suggestion. Particularly west of Hwy 100 and north of Hwy 7.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
What part of downtown Minneapolis is your job in? The part of downtown Minneapolis your job is in can make a large difference in which areas will have better public transportation access. If you live in St. Louis Park, it might take you 15 more minutes to get to the former Metrodome than Target Field. If you live in Roseville, it might take you 15 more minutes to get to Target Field than the former Metrodome.

The other question I have is do you want to be closer in or do you want your commute to take less time? If you live far enough away to use an express bus, you will likely have faster bus times than many areas that are closer in. For instance, Columbia Heights is closer in than Fridley but some parts of Fridley will have faster bus times to downtown Minneapolis than any part of Columbia Heights.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
You can find 4 bedroom single family home rentals (your best bet is to check on Craigslist) in some of the southwestern suburbs for under $2K: Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Hopkins, etc-- there's not a TON of them-- and they tend to go FAST, but they do exist. Most will be 3 bedrooms up with 1 bedroom in the basement more so than a true four bedroom. As far as commute, I can't help with that as I'm brand new to MN but others will be able to advise you on that. But as I just rented a 4 bedroom house in the last month, I'm pretty familiar with what's available and the pricing on this side of town (unless it's dramatically changed in the last 30 days!)

Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
You can find 4 bedroom single family home rentals (your best bet is to check on Craigslist) in some of the southwestern suburbs for under $2K: Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Hopkins, etc--
I would echo Elly's comments. I grew up in Lake County IL and Chanhassen is actually a lot like Grayslake. It is a little far out, but you are going to have to live a little far out or otherwise live in a slightly less desrieable area for that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul