Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,922 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving up to your lovely city in the fall for school! I'm so excited. I'm from the south, only have lived in warm weather, and so I (well, more like my worried father) wanted to get heated, underground parking. (And I've already heard it's not needed, but I have a little extra saved so I'm going to go for it during the winter.) Unfortunately, the place I am renting does not offer anything but on street parking. (And no heat paid or any utilities. I don't really like the place, but that's neither here nor there.)

So I was looking into parking garages in the city that offer me to park my car there month to month. Something like this ad: Your Trusted Vehicle Storage Place in Downtown Minneapolis

I left just a few hours ago on the plane so I can't go and see if it's the real deal.

Are private parking garages like this a real thing? I was thinking they're only offered in apartment complexes for private tenants. I'm not sure if this is too good to be true or if I'm falling into a scam of some sort? Or if they're even safe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,483 times
There are legit garage rentals, however, I don't know if that one is legit. There isn't a parking garage at that intersection.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,922 times
Rzzz, thanks for the reply! How can I find these legit underground garage rentals other than craigslist and googling? Because that's all I got... Do you know of any?

Also, how did you find that there wasn't a parking garage there?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,483 times
Well, I go to the coffee shop on that corner all the time.
It might be a small lot under a building, but I am having a hard time picturing where it could be.

I'm not sure how to find a legit garage. Garaging your main car in a lot that isn't connected to where you live is not popular here like it is in NYC. I think it's more for people who are putting their sports car away for the winter. Most people without parking just deal with street parking.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I've seen signs around that intersection somewhere (can't recall where; on the side of an autobody shop?). But I suspect that it's not the kind of parking garage you can drive yourself into and out of (although it may be) -- like rzzz says, more likely the kind of place you store your expensive sports car for the winter if only use it seasonally. But maybe they have some regular spots. I think it's legit, but whether or not it's what you need or are expecting might be a different question.

If you're living in Uptown, your best bet is going to be to rent a garage space in a regular house garage (our building rents out several of these -- none open, however, otherwise I'd PM you). It won't be heated, but it will be covered. You see signs for those sometimes, otherwise I assume you can most easily find them on Craigslist.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,707,907 times
That's a legit vehicle storage--not a parking lot (i.e. you can't take your car in and out whenever you want). It's where you'd put your car if you were going away long-term, or had a summer car and winter car and always had one in storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: