Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,438 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am relocating in the next month or two from Australia to work in the Minnetonka area, and am looking for a 1BR apartment in a large condo. (Ideally less than $1500/m)

I'm used to a pretty urban lifestyle, so am looking for something similar so I'm guessing downtown Minneapolis would be good, but i've heard Hopkins is ok (but besides from being close to work i'm not sure).

One thing that does concern me is driving in the cold (unsurprisingly we don't get much snow over here) so I'm looking for places where the possibility of getting snowed in or driving on the ice is minimised, as is being outside in the winter.

Any hints on areas on where to look? and any specific things I should be looking for? (for example heated carparks)

I've read about forrent and craigslist, and don't mind pounding the pavement a bit once I know good areas to look at.

Thanks in advance
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Getting snowed in around the Twin Cities area is a very, very rare event. Snow removal is very fast and if a storm produced enough snow at the right time of day to snow you in, you won't have to go to work so it won't matter. That will last for one day at the most though.

$1500 for a 1 bedroom is very reasonable. Where in Minnetonka are you working? 50th and France area in Edina and St. Louis Park are pretty busy areas that are semi-urban style and would be easy commutes depending on where the office is. If you are closer to the 494 loop, then SLP would be easier. If you are closer to the 169 area, 50th and France.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,438 times
Thanks GolfGal.. I'll check out those areas you mentioned.

I'm actually working off of Bren Road West & Opus Pkwy off the 169

Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Getting snowed in around the Twin Cities area is a very, very rare event. Snow removal is very fast and if a storm produced enough snow at the right time of day to snow you in, you won't have to go to work so it won't matter. That will last for one day at the most though.

$1500 for a 1 bedroom is very reasonable. Where in Minnetonka are you working? 50th and France area in Edina and St. Louis Park are pretty busy areas that are semi-urban style and would be easy commutes depending on where the office is. If you are closer to the 494 loop, then SLP would be easier. If you are closer to the 169 area, 50th and France.
I think snow removal timeliness depends heavily on where you live. I have had multiple run ins with people in Minneapolis and St. Paul who claim to not be able to leave there house for a day or two after a heavy snowfall. I've also talked with at least someone who claims to have moved away from St. Paul to some suburb because the snow removal in St. Paul was bad (I'm sure there were other factors, but that was the top one mentioned).

Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 AM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I think snow removal timeliness depends heavily on where you live. I have had multiple run ins with people in Minneapolis and St. Paul who claim to not be able to leave there house for a day or two after a heavy snowfall. I've also talked with at least someone who claims to have moved away from St. Paul to some suburb because the snow removal in St. Paul was bad (I'm sure there were other factors, but that was the top one mentioned).
Side streets in Minneapols and St. Paul can take a long time to get cleared adequately, so I could believe that, based on my experiences. I'm generally a fan of both cities, but snow removal on side streets (main roads tend to be OK) is not something either of them does well.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 AM

20 posts, read 39,233 times
I don't think you're going to find the kind of urban type of lifestyle that exists in Australia. I would try East Isles though or on the west side of Lake Calhoun.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Side streets in Minneapols and St. Paul can take a long time to get cleared adequately, so I could believe that, based on my experiences. I'm generally a fan of both cities, but snow removal on side streets (main roads tend to be OK) is not something either of them does well.
The snow plowing/removal in MPLS & St Paul proper is pathetic.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
Hopkins is not urban, at least not in the sense that most international dwellers think of as urban.

Greater Sydney Metro - 980 persons/sq mile, Greater MSP - 489 persons/sq mile.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM

335 posts, read 406,711 times
how do you know he's from sydney? he may be from adelaide or a similar smaller sized city

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
The snow plowing/removal in MPLS & St Paul proper is pathetic.
True--ok, snow removal everywhere else is timely.

For those that don't leave their houses for "days" after a snowfall, give me a break--that is a personal choice, not a necessity then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul