Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM

53 posts, read 90,590 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a house in South Minneapolis and wish to put up a fence. I have been searching for a way to know where the property line is for obvious reasons. I did not want to hire a surveyor as the cost of putting up, tearing down and rebuilding the short run of fence I need would cost less than hiring a surveyor at the cost of $250 or $300 bucks or whatever it is: my question is not about hiring a surveyor, please.
My question is where to look for the survey metal stakes/monuments: the Hennepin/Minneapolis site says this: "When land is surveyed, metal stakes, also known as "irons" or "monuments", marks the corners of the lot. " Which is sort of meaningless tautology for me...

My Question: what I need to know is where the corner of the lot would be in relation to the city side walk and the street. I have my lot, then the sidewalk, then a patch of grass then the street: would this survey stake be in the grass near the street, near the part of the sidewalk closest to street or near the sidewalk closer to the house?

( I have a metal detector so I can take it from there but all the nails and other garbage in the dirt made searching all three locations a real chore. Doing the property search map thing, from hennepin county, was worthless as it shows everything offset such that I have neighbors that seem to own the majority of alley and other neighbors that seem to own part of the street so the accuracy of this website pictures of the property lines really seems to be suspect.)
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM

292 posts, read 891,104 times
Mine is on the house side of the sidewalk.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 AM

391 posts, read 659,623 times
For a garage project, we recently had our house surveyed in St. Paul after being unable to find any previous markers. Likewise, they set the new front corner pins near the house-side edge of the sidewalk (between the sidewalk and retaining wall in our case).

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM

51 posts, read 201,907 times
Mine are all on the house side of the sidewalk, or inset from the alley just a bit.

They are all well below today's ground level, as the topsoil has built up several inches since the area was first platted. Some of them are proper monuments with peach/orange-colored caps, while others are railroad spikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul