Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 PM

15 posts, read 18,099 times

Advertisements

@uptown_urbanist, I'm probably being really optimistic. But, you are right. We got news today that he got the job! So, depending on the employment offer, we are MN bound!

That said, I am leaning toward Hutchinson. If I have to drive a couple to few days a week, so be it. I suppose that is what podcasts are for!

I am in a grad program right now with a full GA, so my hope is that I can get some excellent recommendations moving forward. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy the process . . . wait, does anyone really ENJOY moving, especially with two little ones????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I wasn't trying to be overly negative, just know what it's like! Also, some of the PhD programs prefer people from outside of Minnesota, which is frustrating, and so much depends on the right faculty fit. But again, totally depends on the field and specific program, I suspect. But if you do end up getting a spot, then you you could also have the option of bundling your on-campus classes and work and, if need be, camp out at a friend's place one night a week or spring for a hotel; given that housing is probably much cheaper in Hutchinson, you'd be able to justify it.

Enjoy the move -- or at least enjoy yourself once the hard part is over and you are here!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM

369 posts, read 633,577 times
If you rent for the first year or even six months, then you'll have plenty of time to see whether or not the long commute is something you want to commit to and if you even like living in Hutchinson. You may opt to live closer to Minneapolis after spending more time there going to school. It's hard to know what seems right until you have a chance to experience it first hand and to really see what your money will get you.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
You might want to think about west Bloomington. My kids graduated from there and they had a decent education (my daughter went to the U of MN for 12th grade since she did so well at Jefferson High School...and she had almost all A's at the U of MN). It is central to most everything. Hutchinson is only 20-30 minutes depending on the commute and so is the U of MN, assuming you are enrolled in an evening program. It is about 10 minutes from Mall of America and about 10 minutes from Valleyfair too It's fairly easy to get most anywhere from west Bloomington, including out of town. FYI...west Bloomington is very different from east Bloomington. The distinction is west of 35W ("west Bloomington") or east of 35W ("east Bloomington").

Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
FYI: Hutchinson is 50+ miles from Bloomington, not 20-30 minutes. Personally, as others have suggested, I'd rent in Hutchinson and see how you like it-- since your husband has to commute every day and your commute is still theoretical, I'd focus on minimizing his commute as you can always (hopefully) adjust your schedule and/or stay overnight close to the U, if need be.

If you decide to 'split the difference' and look at Victoria/Chaska/Chan, the area has more than just the aforementioned Cub-- it also has Byerly's, Super Target, Home Depot, Office Depot, Lakeville (a great co-op/store) plus excellent schools. But, again, if you're looking to settle down, Hutch might be the perfect spot as it's relatively affordable yet still accessible to all that the Twin Cities has to offer, plus even if you're in a PhD program the need to commute is relatively temporary, but your husband's daily commute isn't. Best of luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:20 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
What is your program at the University of Minnesota? Some have distance options for part of the coursework, even at the PhD level.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM

@woodburywoody, I am hoping to be accepted for curriculum and instruction in the college of ed. I do believe there are online or at least hybrid options for some coursework. The school I attend now is fairly good. I have a full graduate assistantship and have been teaching as an adjunct at that university and another and supervising students teachers so I am hoping the experience along with grades will work to my advantage. I think we are setting our sights on Hutchinson for now. Seems to make the most sense.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laskigal View Post
@woodburywoody, I am hoping to be accepted for curriculum and instruction in the college of ed. I do believe there are online or at least hybrid options for some coursework. The school I attend now is fairly good. I have a full graduate assistantship and have been teaching as an adjunct at that university and another and supervising students teachers so I am hoping the experience along with grades will work to my advantage. I think we are setting our sights on Hutchinson for now. Seems to make the most sense.
The Digital Campus site lists programs at Online Graduate Degrees - University of Minnesota Digital Campus ... nothing there for CEHD, BUT that only includes programs for which the coursework may be completed entirely at a distance.

You can check to see if there are individual courses listed as either hybrid or for distant students for which the entire program is not available hybrid or distance format at Class Search - Search Criteria .

Check with the graduate adviser for C&I, too, as there are reasons why a distance course actually may not be classified as a distance course in that search engine (has to do with the definitions used to classify within the central software and agreements with MnSCU on definitions, not with how the course is actually offered).

Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM

We are officially on our way! I was accepted into the PhD program I applied to at UMN (just awaiting to hear if I get a GA). We officially have an offer on our house in OH and are headed for a house-hunting excursion in a couple weeks.

Because we are in an area that requires at least a 15 minute drive to get a gallon of milk and about a two-hour trek to the nearest mid-sized city, we are wanting to be somewhere midway between Hutchinson and UMN. Hutchinson is just too far out to live, but a 30ish minute commute is fine. We are thinking Waconia, Mayer, Watertown. We want to reserve some funds for experiences, so we are looking at a housing budget between 200-225k, single-family, three bedrooms. nice neighborhoods/schools, walkable small-town nearby.

This all said, advice and guidance are more than welcome!! Thank you!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Congratulations!

Those locations aren't within a 30ish minute commute from campus, however, unless the "ish" part is really flexible -- those are all 30+ miles away from the city, and you should expect traffic.

If you don't want to spend more than 30 minutes in the car you could also drive to a park-and-ride and take the commuter bus in; they have commuter buses going to the U of MN from all parts of the metro area, and I think most of the longer-distance buses to the outer 'burbs have wifi. You could get some work done and the buses get to go in the HOV lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul