U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:31 PM

511 posts, read 606,435 times

Advertisements

Ideally, I want to live in a city neighborhood or suburb where its not a big product to head downtown or uptown for a quick, lunch dinner, etc. Even though traffic and parking etc. will be less of an issue, if your more than about 15 miles or 20 minutes away, that's probably not going to happen very often. Of course with my other requirements and unwillingness to pay Edina money for a house, I may have to compromise.

Right now I think the "final four" in no particular order are, Armatage, St. Anthony, Maple Grove (or similar) and Stillwater. I realize those four couldn't be much more different. However, all four of those meet most of our needs with not too much compromise, or so I think.

The thing that makes this so challenging is that we haven't been to any of those places. We will probably have to make a quick decision on a temporary (6 month?) rental due to limited options and time constraints. In a perfect world, that rental would be in or near the community that we would eventually settle down. Our daughter is getting to the age where she is making friends and gets used to routines so I don't want to completely uproot her again and move to the other side of the metro area.

There really is no substitute for getting a personal feel for different areas and communities. After living in a given area for a while, it is natural to develop distinct impressions of towns that you can't really gauge based on other peoples opinions and or stats. For a comparison I looked up data on places in Mass. that I think are too trashy, snobby, unsafe, etc. Some of them you would be able to peg from a distance. Others not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 PM

5,659 posts, read 2,822,450 times
Lived in the Twin Cities all of my 48 year life.
I would stay far away from Minneapolis as possible!

Gang activity is horrible.
Murders, so many.
Somalians and such are ruining that community, house value, and safety.

You mentioned White Bear Lake. That is a beautiful hometown community and Mahtomedi borders it which has nationally awarded school district.

Shoreview which is about 5 miles southeast of White Bear Lake is also a very nice community. It is bigger and better freeway access.
You can get MSP airport from shoreview in 20 mn, downtown St Paul 10 mn and downtown Minneapolis 15mn.

Just stay away from Minneapolis.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM

I just read your last post, i see Stillwater is in the final four.
Do look into Mahtomedi then.
Which is justvwest of Stillwater, borders it.
Schools, people, safety, would be good for your child.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:10 PM

290 posts, read 472,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Murders, so many.

You mentioned White Bear Lake. That is a beautiful hometown community and Mahtomedi borders it which has nationally awarded school district.

Shoreview which is about 5 miles southeast of White Bear Lake is also a very nice community. It is bigger and better freeway access.
You can get MSP airport from shoreview in 20 mn, downtown St Paul 10 mn and downtown Minneapolis 15mn.

OP, ignore this poster. Typical uninformed suburbanite who avoids going into the city at all costs out of fear. They talk about how "dangerous" it is. lol. Meanwhile, more people than ever are moving into the city and loving it.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 PM

3,443 posts, read 3,177,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Murders, so many.

Thanks for grouping a few small worse pockets into being the whole city! That's like saying Los Angeles is nothing but murders, gangs, violence because of south central/east LA. Never mind the many $10 million dollar homes for sale....nothing to see here, move along.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM

511 posts, read 606,435 times
I've spent enough time studying 5th precinct crime maps to realize that violent crime is very rare in southwest Minneapolis. I am also aware that the 36 homicides that Minneapolis had in 2013 are quite low for a city its size, especially one that is the largest city in a metropolitan area of approx 3.5 million. By comparison, the two US cities that are closest in city (not metro area) population are Tulsa OK and Oakland, CA, which had 66 and 88 homicides respectively in 2013. All big cities have crime. If you pick apart the numbers, Minneapolis is pretty close to the middle of the pack, if not a little better.

As a side note one, of the things that skews violent and overall crime statistics for MPLS is that a broad range of sexual assaults are reported as rapes. I don't think any other cities do this. Because rape is a violent crime, it is heavily weighted in most crime indices. I am just trying to preempt the replies showing Minneapolis on lists of high crime cities. Here is more info: Minneapolis police overreporting rape statistics | Star Tribune

That being said, I appreciate the suggestions of Shoreview and Mahtomedi. They are both inner ring-ish suburbs with great schools and at least some density. Along with White Bear Lake, these are definitely worthy of consideration.

The big question I have is still, What is wrong with St. Anthony? There has to be something. I am similarly curious about White Bear Lake. It appears to be one of a handful of nearby suburbs with a real downtown, good schools and relatively low home prices. In both cases, if it sounds too good to be true...

Old 08-16-2014, 04:10 PM

3,443 posts, read 3,177,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
I've spent enough time studying 5th precinct crime maps to realize that violent crime is very rare in southwest Minneapolis. I am also aware that the 36 homicides that Minneapolis had in 2013 are quite low for a city its size, especially one that is the largest city in a metropolitan area of approx 3.5 million. By comparison, the two US cities that are closest in city (not metro area) population are Tulsa OK and Oakland, CA, which had 66 and 88 homicides respectively in 2013. All big cities have crime. If you pick apart the numbers, Minneapolis is pretty close to the middle of the pack, if not a little better.

As a side note one, of the things that skews violent and overall crime statistics for MPLS is that a broad range of sexual assaults are reported as rapes. I don't think any other cities do this. Because rape is a violent crime, it is heavily weighted in most crime indices. I am just trying to preempt the replies showing Minneapolis on lists of high crime cities. Here is more info: Minneapolis police overreporting rape statistics | Star Tribune

That being said, I appreciate the suggestions of Shoreview and Mahtomedi. They are both inner ring-ish suburbs with great schools and at least some density. Along with White Bear Lake, these are definitely worthy of consideration.

The big question I have is still, What is wrong with St. Anthony? There has to be something. I am similarly curious about White Bear Lake. It appears to be one of a handful of nearby suburbs with a real downtown, good schools and relatively low home prices. In both cases, if it sounds too good to be true...
There isn't anything wrong with St Anthony, there's a mixture of older very nice homes and some newer very nice homes too. There is a trailer park on the northeast corner of Lowry and Stinson, but I'm surprised it hasn't been bought out and developed. I have a friend who just sold his house on 29th ave NE and Crestview and 3 or 4 homes within 500 ft of him had indoor pools. There is large oil tank farm off of County Rd C to east of Hwy 88, but it isn't a problem. My father was one of the top people at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (state EPA job) and was director of ground water amongst directors of many other departments before he retired. He said nothing bad about it when I bought my house a mile from it. Water drains to the east of it, and St Anthony is uphill from it. As you go north from 18th ave NE the homes are more tightly packed and further north the homes are "newer" with bigger yards. (Most in that northern area were probably built in the 60's)

White Bear, I find to be a mix, half is nice and super nice on the actual lake and the other half I find to be cheaply made homes I wouldn't think about buying. My wife always thought White Bear was all super nice homes, until I started showing her parts west of hwy 61. Going east of White Bear is getting to be more country with all sorts of homes older mixed with giant new expensive properties with country clubs, etc...Stillwater is oldest city in state with a popular old downtown with it, and St Croix river being the big draws.

Last edited by wamer27; 08-16-2014 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Thanks for grouping a few small worse pockets into being the whole city! That's like saying Los Angeles is nothing but murders, gangs, violence because of south central/east LA. Never mind the many $10 million dollar homes for sale....nothing to see here, move along.

You don't agree with me, so you tell people to move along. Wowsa.
I am posting facts as I know them.

I am not posting with emotional as it appears you are.

As far as crime in Minneapolis, it Is rising very fast. 2 murdered just last night.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 PM

At Midwest

I am sorry I cannot answer your question about if you are missing anything with St Anthony or White Bear Lake with housing values etc.

Maybe rent short term or do a long terms hotel stay such as Marroit Residence Inn.
Spend some time and look around.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,797,478 times
Nothing wrong with St. Anthony or White Bear Lake. The lake is having trouble in White Bear, though, for whatever that's worth. I think the main negative about WBL is that it's a trek from Minneapolis. Same thing (to an even greater degree) for Stillwater -- Stillwater is great if you work out or near there or don't plan on coming into Minneapolis frequently, but it's so far out that some of us still don't fully think of it as metro area. More like attractive nice self-contained town.

I think the main reason people don't hear more about St. Anthony is that it's small. Same sort of thing with other nice suburbs like Falcon Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or