Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:54 AM

290 posts, read 547,690 times

Advertisements

My ideas:

Indoor beach with trees, etc. I guess this would likely have to be attached to the Mall of America. I'm sure Dubai or some place in Asia has already done something similar.

Indoor 7-day a week market downtown with a mix of permanent stands and rotating stands. Food trucks could even drive in and set up for the day. The Midtown Global Market is great, but it's small and not ideally located. I always that the Depot with the ice skating rink would've been a nice place to have one. This would also double as a nice tourist attraction.

Nightly fire pit, ice skating, some sort of indoor thing to warm up in at the new park downtown. Just something to attract a ton of people to. In the middle of Times Square when it's cold, you don't notice the cold because of all the activity and excitement going on.

Very important one: Cheaper air fare from MSP to make escapes to warmer locales more affordable.

More very large fitness facilities.

More places like the Mall of America but focused less on shopping and more on experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
My ideas:

Very important one: Cheaper air fare from MSP to make escapes to warmer locales more affordable.
This one would be a big winner!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM

214 posts, read 300,298 times
What's missing? A free shuttle to Arizona for the winters.

Another thing missing are frequent warm fronts

Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM

152 posts, read 290,934 times
We complain far too much about the cold weather in MN.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
A mountain.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
More daylight! I really don't mind the snow and cold as much as I dislike the SHORT daylight hours. It is downright depressing to drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

As far as activities, there is actually quite a lot to do...skiing, both x-country and downhill, skating, sledding, snow hikes, just playing in the snow...

Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Warmth

Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
Great ideas! I like the market idea... I was shocked at how expensive produce is here compared to Phoenix area. Yikes, I can't even imagine what it costs during winter!

The airfare too... Wowza! I will say that planning in advance by about six months helps.

Other ideas; a room full of those "happy lights" with plants or something would be great.

More indoor running tracks would be great... Lifetime is okay but definitely not great.

Meanwhile to AZ for spring break.. It is. It's like $230 for a ticket.. Cheap!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
Quote:
What is missing in the Twin Cities that would help make the winters more tolerable?
My answer is not intended to be snarky, rude or even sarcastic. It's my honest answer.

What's missing?
  1. Acceptance: Winters here are long, cold, and snowy. Always have been, always will be.
  2. Less whining: The constant complaints are worse than the actual winter and make everyone feel worse.
  3. Awareness: This is MinnSNOWta.
  4. Preparation: We know winters here are long, cold, and snowy. Plan for it. Before winter arrives, plan ways to enjoy it instead of dreading it. Buy some boardgames and spend time with family/friends. Make a potluck out of it. Get a hot tub. Get some books you've been meaning to read. Find a fun new hobby. Have a family scavenger hunt. Learn to cook some new dishes to try out on the family. Learn a new language. Get a library card and check out the huge variety of DVDs you can check out for a week. I know a couple that has friends over for potluck and they switch up the activity every week (or two). They've even set out Tinkertoys, coloring books, and Legos for everyone to keep their hands busy while they all have an after dinner conversation. Sounds silly, but I've been to one of a few of their gatherings and it's always fun and interesting. The point is, plan some things ahead of time to keep you entertained for the winter.
  5. Better Attitudes via the first four things.
Every. Freaking. Winter. People in Minnesota complain about the winter. The cold and snow shouldn't be a shock to anyone. I've lived all over the world and I've never heard people complain, much less talk, about the weather as much as they do here. It could be hot and dry one day and people will complain about it. The next day it could rain and people will complain about the rain when they complained about the dryness the day before. It's unreal.

Minnesota's State Hobby is complaining, mostly about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul