Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times

Advertisements

I was never a resident of this facility but I was seeing a counselor at the time there on an outpatient basis. She was deaf and only read lips. I do not remember her name. At that time (late 80’s) there was an article in the news that scared me about patients being involuntary or coerced into staying at the facility. One time my counselor wanted to give me a tour of the inside of the residential facility. I refused to go. This therapist became verbally abusive with me because of my refusal to go. I ran out of that appointment and never looked back. I had a very bad feeling about that incident. It makes me wonder if what I heard on the news all those years ago was true. Does anyone remember this therapist that only read lips?

Last edited by kmccall0221; 07-07-2018 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM

210 posts, read 319,058 times
I was there in late 1981-1982. My memories are groggy but I remember being hauled into the hallway (my entire bed) if we wee caught talking and the “mud room” where we were encouraged to throw lumps of clay at a wall representing anger

My recollections are very fuzzy- I was medicated while there. I do recall Queen’s hit “Another One Bites The Dust” as being appropriate and popular.

There were many kids with varying mental issues there at the time. I’m not surprised it’s all a blur for me.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,625 times
Not sure if anyone is still checking these posts. I was in GVHC in 1990 for 4.5 months. They would have kept me longer but another patient told me I had to "play the game" in order to get out. I was 15 when I went in. I was from Thunder Bay Ontario so my insurance never ran out. I met a lot of teens from my hometown and had some hreat relationships with them, however I too suffered some pretty traumatic events and weird treatments. I was a "normal teen" that never did drugs and only got drunk a few times on my life, however i ended up in GVHC bc I attempted suicide and was self harming from a traumatic childhood. I actually made a choice to become a social worker because of my experience on that place. I felt that as child there was no one in there fighting for us or protecting us. I'm 42 years old and i have been a social worker for almost 20 years. I kept a diary while i was there. I know that one of the kids i was in there with, his family hired a lawyer and tried to go after them. I tried to het my records but the place disappeared. I wonder if there was ever a lawsuit???. Sherry D.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,625 times
Default I'm looking for anyone that worked or was a patient in 1991

My name is Sherry,(Thunder Bay, ont) not sure if anyone on here would remember me but i had a shark phobia, was on self harm watch alot. I carried around a little dinosaur (Dino) and I would sleep in the bathtub. I was 15 when i was there(spring/summer of 1991) One of the counselors that i remember was a recovering addict- he scared me a lot. He would wear a shark nose in my sessions. He was skinny, tall and had long hair, there was also another counselor named Bruce, not so scary seemed a little more approachable but i think he was a little more chunky and had feathered hair(light brown or ginger i think)
Then there was a small muscular black man who was very sweet. He would take us to the gym, pool or for meals(can't remember his name) but I liked him. I would always ask him when he thought i would be going home. Bad memories for me were seeing other patients getting their "RPR" and rolled up in a mat and put in the quiet room. I had spent a night in the quietroom after i had self harmed. They gave me a huge phonebook with wooden binding and told me to take my anger out on it. I broke off the wooden binding and sliced my leg open just so they would let me out.( when i got out 5 months later, i never cut again) another time they kept me up for 24 hours and then took me to another building where they put some wires attached to me head and put what i thought was a strobe light while i tried to sleep. One session they took me to the pool with a therapist and played jaws music while i got into the pool to see how my anxiety would play out. I was put on several different meds. They told me that it was my mothers idea. My mother told me after i got out that GVHC told her that i agreed to the drug treatment. Some better memories, movie nights, making friends and staying up late getting to know the other kids (thats what helped heal me) being silly with my roommates and remembering that we were still kids. There were a few staff members that made a positive impact( a female social worker worked nights took a special interest in me- i think bc i was a foster child and didn't have the best home life when i was there.) She made it bearable. ( i wish i knew her name) Im not sure they knew half of what was going on. I was told i would be there for 4 weeks. Around 2-3 months in, my mother came to see me and i begged her to get me out. They told my mom i needed to stay for at least 6 more months. GVHC monitored my calls and suspended phone calls. I think when my mother realized they were keeping her from me she pulled the plug and told them she wanted me home. GVHC told me i had completed the program successfully and could go home. My good-bye was very emotional. My little black friend( who mentioned early would always sing Sherry baby-some famous song ) they played Van Morison- Into the Mystic and i placed my hand print on the "Good-bye wall" I kept a journal while i was there but was careful what i wrote as i worried someone would read it. So many more stories, can't believe i remember this much. For some reason reading others stories is helping me remember.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
[url=http://www.pinegrovetreatment.com/patrick-carnes.html]Patrick Carnes, Ph.D. Sexual Addiction and Sexual Dependency Treatment[/url]

[url]https://www.leagle.com/decision/19861191386nw2d80511110[/url]

Hello,

I believe this link to be to the doctor in charge of creating the Sexual Dependancy Unit at GVHC, and a name some of you mentioned during your stay. I also have a link to a lawsuit against the GVHC in 1986. I hope this information is helpful to anyone who needs it. I've become intrigued with your stories after searching for this hospital. My mother was adopted around 4-5 months old and I believe she stayed here during that time in 1968. The information I know is that it was a hostpital in Golden Valley that closed in the 90's. I believe she has suffered greatly due to the negligence most centers provided during that time. I'm wondering if maybe any of you know know about adoption through GVHC? Does anyone know of a government file data base or library with any records for GVHC? I would be eternally grateful for any information.

I'll leave an email for contact below, thanks much

[email]sschultzzz27@gmail.com[/email]

-Sami

Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
I was there two months in 1986- also until the insurance ran out. I had suffered trauma and was living with family that didn’t get that. I was 8, so was with other kids 12 and under. Was that a different building? I was diagnosed adhd, but was never psychotic or in any way dangerous to myself or others. I don’t have any terribly memories except the exposure to the couple kids that were experiencing episodes. I just played along. Surreal.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnetqueen View Post
I actually as a 51 year old adult have spent the greater part of the last 20 years at Courage Center Physical Therapy which is located at the entrance of the hospitals grounds. First time I went to Courage Center I had a massive psychiatric break pulling into that driveway. I spent over a year at GVMHC as a young woman in 3 consecutive stays. I grew up here in Minneapolis and no one ever speaks of that place, like it never existed. I do remember at OT there that I loved so dearly and as a 12 year old clung to her every chance I could. Ms. Lewendowski. I loved OT. The rest of it still gives me panic attacks... I to was shipped to some place in Saint Paul that was even worse. How it could be worse is unbelievable. I then was shipped to Anoka State as I was always escaping. The streets even at 9-12-14 were better than these chambers of horrors. I do remember being in that directors house. At first I thought I was special, doing better. I would go through the metal anguish to call these bastards out who stole my childhood and robbed me of ever trusting anyone in life... actually, my mom still has all the records from that place when I was there. What they gave her of course. When I couldn't get it together in life those records were used to get my on SSDI! I have never had the guts to drive further down that road. Most the land is a gated rich people community now. If I would participate in a lawsuit. For years I could not even snuggle in a blanket. FOR YEARS!!!

Do you recall Ms Lewendowskis first name? I was there and ran away with a girl from north mpls. Was that you? I was 12 or 13 and we walked past a funeral home on or near Lowry? If it was you, do you remember what happened? I don't remember how we were caught and returned to the hospital.

I was the girl who they made sit in the hall on the floor for 30 days not allowed to speak.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
My name George E., I was a patient at GVHC for a little over 2 years (1990-1992). I am well aware of the unfortunate things that occurred at that horrible place. Some people forget things like that. I unfortunately remember all of it. I would like to say that they were shut down for the cruel and unusual methods used there including physical and sexual abuse reported by 2 young girls and myself inflicted by other patients an some of the staff. I myself was flown there from Michigan, and Kim M. Was from Toledo Ohio, and Nikki L. was from Quebec in Canada. The name of the units ha changed over the years, but their methods remained the same and in some cases got worse. My own wife and family don't know the things that happened there. I haven't spoke of them since 1995. But unfortunately, I haven't forgot.
If you have any questions or comments please message me directly at (georgendesiree@gmail.com)

Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,629 times
Has anybody tried to get medical records from there there time At Golden Valley health center? I was there I believe in 1981 in the ATP unit.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,629 times
I was a patient there in 1981 as well my question is have you ever tried getting medical records from your stay there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul