Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM

104 posts, read 153,005 times

Advertisements

A realtor's enthusiasm to work with you will depend on how much you want to spend, how serious your intent to buy appears, where you want to buy and how well the real estate market is doing in the area you're looking at and this is across the nation. Oh and also a person's demeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
What is with these people?

I currently live in Los Angeles, CA (too hot for me). My lease ends in 2 months. I've chosen the Twin Cities as my new home, and I'm ready to buy. The first agent was afraid to contact me, he thought there would be a language barrier (Asian name). I did remind him that I speak several languages fluently. The second agent didn't ask me which type of property I wanted, and selected some condos to show me. Another contacts me, and tells me that she will contact me again a few days later, I have no idea what happened to her. The current agent (with the same company) agrees to work with me, and sends me a daily list of available properties from which to choose. Last week, I selected a property that I really like, and ask her if she can send pictures of the spaces not pictured online. She agrees, but I've not heard back from her. Yesterday, I sent her an email asking if she was able to get the photos, but I've not received a response. I thought they were supposed to be the professionals here, but I'm not convinced at this time.

I'd buy in northern Cali, if I could afford it.
How are you finding these agents? The best agents are the ones you get referred to by other satisfied clients. Do you know anyone locally in the TC who can refer you to a good buyers agent?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
To the OP, I understand your frustration. I really do. But there's something you don't seem to have realized yet. Minnesota is not California. It's a different culture with different ways of doing things. The pace of life is much slower here than it is in California, northern or southern.

Real estate agents are still individuals and are all different. I don't know them so I can't defend or complain about them. The reasonable thing to do would be to keep talking to agents until you find one that suits your needs. Real Estate Agents aren't like McDonald's where you can walk in and expect the same thing from every location. Not every agent and client are a good fit. This isn't new knowledge.

You're welcome in Minnesota, but understand, and respect, that it's not California. If you come here with an attitude, you're not going to receive a warm welcome.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
What is with these people?

I currently live in Los Angeles, CA (too hot for me). My lease ends in 2 months. I've chosen the Twin Cities as my new home, and I'm ready to buy. The first agent was afraid to contact me, he thought there would be a language barrier (Asian name). I did remind him that I speak several languages fluently. The second agent didn't ask me which type of property I wanted, and selected some condos to show me. Another contacts me, and tells me that she will contact me again a few days later, I have no idea what happened to her. The current agent (with the same company) agrees to work with me, and sends me a daily list of available properties from which to choose. Last week, I selected a property that I really like, and ask her if she can send pictures of the spaces not pictured online. She agrees, but I've not heard back from her. Yesterday, I sent her an email asking if she was able to get the photos, but I've not received a response. I thought they were supposed to be the professionals here, but I'm not convinced at this time.

I'd buy in northern Cali, if I could afford it.

I'd second the question about how you are finding agents. From your wording here, it looks like agents are contacting you, so I'm guessing you filled out a form somewhere? I think you'll get better success if you ask somewhere (like here) for recommendations in whatever part of town you are interested in, and then call those realtors. My agent (who was great) was super-busy, so I'm sure she wasn't hanging out responding to random on-line requests.

I'm also guessing you don't give the impression of being a real serious buyer. Here are the red flags I see that would make realtors not invest a lot of time:
* You've 'chosen the Twin Cities as your new home', but you don't indicate that you have a job or any reason you are moving here, which would make a realtor question how serious you are.
* You are talking to many realtors. Since a buyer's agent only gets paid on a sale, they don't get very excited about competing which other realtors.
* Asking to see additional pictures...unless the selling agent happens to have some additional pictures, no buyer's agent is going to a house just to take pics for an out-of-state person with a casual interest.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM

36 posts, read 44,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
To the OP, I understand your frustration. I really do. But there's something you don't seem to have realized yet. Minnesota is not California. It's a different culture with different ways of doing things. The pace of life is much slower here than it is in California, northern or southern.

Real estate agents are still individuals and are all different. I don't know them so I can't defend or complain about them. The reasonable thing to do would be to keep talking to agents until you find one that suits your needs. Real Estate Agents aren't like McDonald's where you can walk in and expect the same thing from every location. Not every agent and client are a good fit. This isn't new knowledge.

You're welcome in Minnesota, but understand, and respect, that it's not California. If you come here with an attitude, you're not going to receive a warm welcome.
I don't know what that means. What do you perceive to BE California? I'm a native Minnesotan who's lived in CA for 14 years. I'm planning on moving back. Everyone I have met recently in MN does not have this attitude and there a lot of ppl from all over the world. Do you live in a small town or something?

Now if you'd said "New Yorker" I could understand. New Yorkers, generally, are way more blunt. It's a trait you come to love if you live in NYC but to outsiders it can be offputting.

I am genuinely curious what you meant.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 29,623 times
I live in Florida and looking for a house for my daughter in Minneapolis. We found a great real estate agent. She customized a search for us, and when a property came in that met the criteria, we got an email witha link to their website and the properties. My daugher and I reveiwed them and then she contacted her to go look at them. We were always treated professionaly and would recommend the agent in a heartbeat. I guess we lucked out with a good agent the first time.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Minnesota has a tiny asian population, and real estate agents in the area are people who never leave their neighborhoods and barely graduated from high school, so you end up with a lot of clueless situations like this.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Minnesota has a tiny asian population, and real estate agents in the area are people who never leave their neighborhoods and barely graduated from high school, so you end up with a lot of clueless situations like this.
Interesting generalization....and may I add is not my or anyone I know of experience.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 AM

74 posts, read 90,023 times
Less than 10% of the realtors in the twin cities sell 90% of the inventory. We have a lot of part timers. Many have full time jobs and real estate is their side job. The average agent in MN sells 6 homes a year. I think there may be more real estate licenses than drivers licenses.

What baffles me is that many people spend weeks researching the best laptop, car, tv, etc...But when it comes to hiring a realtor that is going to handle the largest investment of their life they work with the 1st person they talk to, or their friends cousins mother in law.

There are good ones out there. Don't sign anything until you've found him/her

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 AM

74 posts, read 90,023 times
Default No motivation maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'd second the question about how you are finding agents. From your wording here, it looks like agents are contacting you, so I'm guessing you filled out a form somewhere? I think you'll get better success if you ask somewhere (like here) for recommendations in whatever part of town you are interested in, and then call those realtors. My agent (who was great) was super-busy, so I'm sure she wasn't hanging out responding to random on-line requests.

I'm also guessing you don't give the impression of being a real serious buyer. Here are the red flags I see that would make realtors not invest a lot of time:
* You've 'chosen the Twin Cities as your new home', but you don't indicate that you have a job or any reason you are moving here, which would make a realtor question how serious you are.
* You are talking to many realtors. Since a buyer's agent only gets paid on a sale, they don't get very excited about competing which other realtors.
* Asking to see additional pictures...unless the selling agent happens to have some additional pictures, no buyer's agent is going to a house just to take pics for an out-of-state person with a casual interest.
I would as long as it wasn't to far out of my market area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul