Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 PM

413 posts, read 792,166 times

Advertisements

For those of you on this forum that moved to the Twin Cities, has there been anything you experienced that was unexpected despite the research that you did prior to moving and/or visiting?

To put it another way, what things should someone considering moving to Twin Cities be aware of, but perhaps not know to ask about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 12:51 PM

5,830 posts, read 7,760,326 times
I was surprised at how clean the place is, especially the downtown streets.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,659,867 times
How diverse it is, I did not expect so many ethnicities in the area. It was a pleasant surprise!

Old 09-22-2014, 04:11 PM

416 posts, read 562,583 times
Food

I just moved back after 8 years in Los Angeles and I have to say how AMAZING it was that my gf and I found 7 favorite places to eat in just 4 weeks including:

French bakery
Ethiopian
Chinese/Vietnamese
Burgers
Southern Creole
Ice Cream

MSP was great for food before I left but it seems like there's a whole other level now of quality and variety. And ALL of these places we found are better than most of the places we've eaten in L.A. I'm not talking $$$$ places mind you. I'm talking affordable for us regular folks. I've tried telling Angelenos and others that Minneapolis has really great food but they just don't believe it. Ironically I think LA has way better burger places while MSP has way better ethnic food. Seriously.

4 weeks to find 7 places in the Twin Cities.

It took me 7 years in LA to find 4!!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM

2,585 posts, read 2,092,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Food

I just moved back after 8 years in Los Angeles and I have to say how AMAZING it was that my gf and I found 7 favorite places to eat in just 4 weeks including:

French bakery
Ethiopian
Chinese/Vietnamese
Burgers
Southern Creole
Ice Cream

MSP was great for food before I left but it seems like there's a whole other level now of quality and variety. And ALL of these places we found are better than most of the places we've eaten in L.A. I'm not talking $$$$ places mind you. I'm talking affordable for us regular folks. I've tried telling Angelenos and others that Minneapolis has really great food but they just don't believe it. Ironically I think LA has way better burger places while MSP has way better ethnic food. Seriously.

4 weeks to find 7 places in the Twin Cities.

It took me 7 years in LA to find 4!!!!
University Avenue in St. Paul has some amazing finds, plus some great markets.

But I want to know about the southern Creole place you found ... please share!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM

416 posts, read 562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
University Avenue in St. Paul has some amazing finds, plus some great markets.

But I want to know about the southern Creole place you found ... please share!
Brasa...

Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM

171 posts, read 196,492 times
What surprised me the most is how slow traffic moves. Drivers are definitely more "cautious" here compared to some of the larger markets that I've lived. The speed limits are usually slower as well. I've noticed a lot of people driving under the speed limit in the passing lanes. Merging is more difficult since people often don't slow down or speed up to let you in. And what's with all of the cloverleaf interchanges here? Talk about a dangerous design. Add the summer construction (169 being closed) and all of the freeways with only two lanes has made me very frustrated during my commute.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 PM

2,585 posts, read 2,092,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
What surprised me the most is how slow traffic moves. Drivers are definitely more "cautious" here compared to some of the larger markets that I've lived. The speed limits are usually slower as well. I've noticed a lot of people driving under the speed limit in the passing lanes. Merging is more difficult since people often don't slow down or speed up to let you in. And what's with all of the cloverleaf interchanges here? Talk about a dangerous design. Add the summer construction (169 being closed) and all of the freeways with only two lanes has made me very frustrated during my commute.
Minnesota drivers:
Yield sign = pretend it's a stop sign
Stop sign = pretend it's a yield sign

Outstate, few seem to understand the need to keep to the right unless passing. In the suburbs, it is the four-way stops at intersections that confounds many.

Don't get me started on how poorly designed the highways and interstates are in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:11 PM

171 posts, read 196,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Minnesota drivers:
Yield sign = pretend it's a stop sign
Stop sign = pretend it's a yield sign

Outstate, few seem to understand the need to keep to the right unless passing. In the suburbs, it is the four-way stops at intersections that confounds many.

Don't get me started on how poorly designed the highways and interstates are in the Twin Cities.
I've been taking 494 east to 35W north for my commute in the morning since I moved here. The cloverleaf by the BMW dealership in Bloomington is so dangerous. I don't understand why they designed these things. Makes no sense to have vehicles enter and exit in the exact same spot.

And what's with everyone freaking out when there's a slight curve on the freeway? I've had a lot of close calls because everyone gets scared and slams on their breaks ahead of me.

Ah, and tapping the breaks constantly. Speed up to the car in front of you, then tap the breaks. This cycle repeats and causes everything to get backed up. You're better off just keeping your distance and coasting (without hitting the breaks) as much as possible.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM

6,629 posts, read 7,246,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
I've been taking 494 east to 35W north for my commute in the morning since I moved here. The cloverleaf by the BMW dealership in Bloomington is so dangerous. I don't understand why they designed these things. Makes no sense to have vehicles enter and exit in the exact same spot.

And what's with everyone freaking out when there's a slight curve on the freeway? I've had a lot of close calls because everyone gets scared and slams on their breaks ahead of me.

Ah, and tapping the breaks constantly. Speed up to the car in front of you, then tap the breaks. This cycle repeats and causes everything to get backed up. You're better off just keeping your distance and coasting (without hitting the breaks) as much as possible.
I don't understand the hitting the brakes constantly either, it drives me nuts. My car downshifts when I take my foot off gas slowing me down instead of tapping brakes non stop (wearing them out). It's not hard to feather the throttle so you use less brake. Cloverleafs are terrible design, but they're the cheapest to make work. Seems we spend more on schools then roads, which overall is a better thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul