Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times

Advertisements

Are the Twin Cities suffering a huge downturn in the housing market as much as other areas in the country? I read an article on CNN/Money that places like Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, and Washington D.C. are down by as much as 25-30%? So, how are things in the Twin Cities housing market? I was in Anoka the other day and saw huge town home developments of Hwy 10 that all appear vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
It looks stagnant to me. Sellers are not dropping their bubble prices and homes are sitting on the market for very long periods with few showings.

I was actually surprised when one home that I had saved on a real estate site recently dropped their asking price a whole $2,500.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
basically the market will remain stagnant until people remove their heads from their respective uh...butts...and realize that just because you bought into the "guaranteed return on your investment" nonsense, and capitalism disagreed with your logic..you have to adjust accordingly.

But some realtor will probably swing by and tell you the opposite that its never been a better time to buy.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Well, according to Forbes, Minneapolis is the best place to buy homes these days. There are actually quite a few people with $$$$$$ who live around the TC.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
As in some of the other middle-of-the road markets (in terms of price and recent appreciation), the most desirable areas continue to do well. Not huge appreciation of late, but still selling.

The exurban areas and less desirable core areas are struggling. People are not moving out to the fringes any more because they don't have to. Why move to Buffalo when you can get a nice house in Plymouth?

There are some good deals to be had and as a Minneapolis buyer who was fortunate enough to unload my Florida house at a loss covered by my relo package, house hunting has been great!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
MANY houses are for sale that are vacant.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
NBC News reported from Minneapolis tonight that many of the houses in foreclosure are not owner occupied but investor owned and renter occupied. The renters are immediately evicted upon foreclosure. Catholic Charities is opening up new dorm wings in order to house the newly homeless renters. What a mess.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Yeah, I think they said 56% of the foreclosures are investor foreclosures. I think people have gotten way too excited from "flip this house" and other homebuying/ selling shows all over the home and garden networks that anyone with a little disposable income has started to fancy themselves real estate investors. When you watch these shows, it's middle-income people (often times in pricey cali markets) planning to completely renovate whole houses and sell them again within a matter of weeks (and have to sell that fast as they can't afford the mortgage payments).

When I was looking to buy a house as a single person several years ago, one lender offererd to pre-approve me for an amount that was 7 times my annual income - I think this is riduculous. With my college debt-load there would be absolutely NO WAY I could afford that kind of monthly mortgage payment.

I'm not sure how a lot of people are doing it, but I feel very lucky that my current house payment is easily doable so that when incidentals/ needed repairs/ renovations pop up, we are able to pay for them out of pocket.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
My grandpa's house, which is located in the Como Park neighborhood near the fairgrounds actually went up 4,200 in value from last year. But for some reason (probably the proximity to everything) that neighborhood has been very desirable for about the last 10 to 15 years.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM

196 posts, read 920,383 times
Houses are a bit of a toss up, i think they have flattened out. I wouldn't be surprised if you could scoop up some empty condos for a deep discount in a year or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul