Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM

327 posts, read 526,112 times

Advertisements

Looked at a house there, just wondering how people find living there, businesses, city gov't, and so on. Although some find our suburbs homogenous, I definitely have ones I'd live and and ones I wouldn't. CH falls into the unknown region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Looked at a house there, just wondering how people find living there, businesses, city gov't, and so on. Although some find our suburbs homogenous, I definitely have ones I'd live and and ones I wouldn't. CH falls into the unknown region.
Was the house on 42nd Ave east of central?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 PM

No. Do you live in Columbia Heights, or did you look at a house there?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
Columbia Heights is definitely unique in terms of Twin Cities suburbs in that its population is more ethnically diverse than most other comparable towns. Although it doesn't make it a "bad" place to live by any means, it is a more blue-collar, working class area. Unfortunately the schools fare poorly compared to other suburbs.

A positive aspect of Columbia Heights is its relative ease to get into Minneapolis. From the central part of the city, it's only about 5 miles to the Minneapolis border via University Ave (Highway 47) or Central Ave (Highway 65).

I personally wouldn't live in Columbia Heights as I like other locations better, but YMMV. What are you specifically looking for in a suburb?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Columbia Heights is weird. Nobody knows anything about it. However, everyone from the MSP area has an uncle that went to the Heights Theatre once, a long time ago.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:17 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I used to live in Columbia Heights 10 years ago. It's ok, but I wouldn't live there again, just not a fan and I can't give an exact reason why. Look in New Brighton or St Anthony or Roseville instead. One of my clients flipped a house on 42nd that's for sale, just seeing if it was the one you looked at.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Been through it like once or twice, reminds me of New Hope sort of. Blue collar, more diverse, nothing special, schools aren't as good as other suburbs, and no one really talks about it on here (because honestly there isn't much to talk about) But in terms of safety, you should be fine honestly.

Like others said, proximity to Minneapolis is a huge plus if you're looking for that.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM

351 posts, read 491,653 times
I grew up in a suburb just east of Columbia Heights. In the 60s and 70s, it was an ok place to live for the mid to lower middle class. It was a working class neighborhood.

Now it is slowly being taken over by lower income and the troubles that come with lower income.

No way would I live there now.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
It's boring if that's your thing.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I personally wouldn't live in Columbia Heights as I like other locations better, but YMMV. What are you specifically looking for in a suburb?
Very close proximity to a good park, relatively safe, inside the loop, solidly run. Would also prefer more affluent than average for MN, but can flex a bit there. (I'm a fee-for-service professional and want to keep my commute time down.) We're middle-aged (no kids so don't care about the schools) and would like this to be our last move (knock on wood) unless we up and go further south someday. Much as I love autumn, the shortening days make those thoughts inevitable!

I like other 'burbs better also, mostly because they are more affluent (the work thing) and I know them to be good places that will "age" well as we do too, e.g., Plymouth, Minnetonka, Roseville, northwester Bloomington...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Columbia Heights is weird. Nobody knows anything about it. However, everyone from the MSP area has an uncle that went to the Heights Theatre once, a long time ago.
I've never heard of the Theatre--is it famous for something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
Now it is slowly being taken over by lower income and the troubles that come with lower income.
Hmm, can you point me to some sources that could tell me more about this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul