Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

I am an international student at the U of M. I wanted to ask how do young students interact with other international students , I have been here for over 1.5 years yet I have not been able to form good friendship as such. Girls also seem to reluctant to speak to me forget dating them. I used to have a lot of friends when I was in my home country & some of my schoolmates who came to US (but to NYC and LA) are going around & having fun but I have not been able to make any good American friends yet, I reallydo want to but it just seems so hard...does any bidy have some tips for me ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
It probably is very difficult for you. You need to try to have a sense of humor about it. There is no magic formula. Never force the issue (especially with women). To attract, you must be attractive. You must appear complete. A whole person. Not needy. It's difficult for lots of people. You are not alone with this issue. Work on yourself. Try to go to the sport events. Try to understand hockey. Go to the Gopher basketball games (men's and women's team). Cheer them on! Have a good time. Better than to just sit around doing nothing but studies.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_ultralight View Post
I am an international student at the U of M. I wanted to ask how do young students interact with other international students , I have been here for over 1.5 years yet I have not been able to form good friendship as such. Girls also seem to reluctant to speak to me forget dating them. I used to have a lot of friends when I was in my home country & some of my schoolmates who came to US (but to NYC and LA) are going around & having fun but I have not been able to make any good American friends yet, I reallydo want to but it just seems so hard...does any bidy have some tips for me ???
Doesn't the U of M have an international students organisation of some kind? If not, perhaps you could start one? It is hard to make friends in the Twin Cities (just read some of the posts here on that topic) but you just have to keep on trying until you find those people outside the norm who actually like to meet new people . Do you have any interests or hobbies that could take you to places where you'll meet similar-minded people? Or volunteering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul