Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 looking to relocate from Texas to the Twin Cities. We are currently living in a master planned community that has mature woods. It has miles of running/biking trails and numerous parks, pools & playgrounds within walking distance of the younger kids. It has a small town feel in a big city. We love our neighborhood but the air quality is not so great here and it is adversely affecting our son's health. We can sell our home for about $225K and would prefer not to spend more than that for housing. We like to live within our means and that means less than $225 as we would most likely have to do some updating. Is there anything in the metro area that fits what we need? good schools, trails, community pool, playgrounds and parks, in our price range?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM

687 posts, read 1,250,641 times
My first thought would be Club West in Blaine (north of 109th, east of highway 65). Lots of trails and parks, community pool, community events. Not much for mature woods, but lots of ponds. You'd probably be looking at some kind of townhome/condo/rowhouse at that price point.

The Lakes in Blaine might also have options, but I don't know if there would be a pool. Prices might be too high as well.

Does it need to be master planned?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Thanks northsub for response. No, it doesn't need to be master planned really. Where we currently are at is and we really like it. But if it has the things we are looking for already, then by no means is it required to be master planned. I will look into your suggestions. We were hoping for no shared walls but if need be, we will consider it.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:13 PM

340 posts, read 661,572 times
You might be interested in areas around Hugo. Although Hugo doesn't have much of a downtown, there are developments with lots of newer inexpensive housing, open space and clean area. Schools are fine; most are in the White Bear district. Plenty of lake access and nearby downtown White Bear Lake has a small town feel.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM

352 posts, read 437,896 times
You'll find that Minneapolis and Saint Paul are much more "livable" than most Texas cities with less need to have isolated planned communities. Most of what you want is available in many neighborhoods. Your limitation is going to be $225 thousand for housing which is on the low side for many areas.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 AM

49 posts, read 80,654 times
If you don't mind me asking, what suburb specifically did you come from? I have been to many Texas areas and know the area. The Woodlands?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 PM

340 posts, read 661,572 times
Do you need to be in a particular area of town to facilitate commuting to a job? On the east side of the metro area, you might consider Woodbury. Excellent schools, decent parks and trails, good shopping etc. Some townhomes sell for under $200K, I believe. However, in my mind it's a suburb and doesn't lend itself to a small town feel.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Yes lexuses82, we are in The Woodlands now. Is there an area in/near the Twin Cities that would be comparable?

Old 11-07-2014, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 80,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds&Ships View Post
Yes lexuses82, we are in The Woodlands now. Is there an area in/near the Twin Cities that would be comparable?
The Woodlands is very unique. The most wooded areas of the Twin Cities is the west metro. I would look at the I-394 corridor. The corridor has many shopping districts and large office complexes.

The area around Plymouth at the junction of 394 and 169 by Medicine Lake. The entire corridor along 394 is very similar to the style of the Woodlands.

Last edited by lexuses82; 11-07-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,045,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Do you need to be in a particular area of town to facilitate commuting to a job? On the east side of the metro area, you might consider Woodbury. Excellent schools, decent parks and trails, good shopping etc. Some townhomes sell for under $200K, I believe. However, in my mind it's a suburb and doesn't lend itself to a small town feel.
Winner! Not the Woodbury part - which may or may not be a place worth checking out. But rather the while commute issue. If you need to commute for work or school during rush hours, that has a huge impact on your decision. In the Twin Cities, commute is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul