Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,913,837 times

Advertisements

nicollet mall is HORRIBLE. thats not even a mall. they have macys, target, saks fifth avenue. its not even worth it. i dont know why they dont build a mall in minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,306,715 times
There are malls downtown. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say there were malls downtown. City Center, Gavidae, even Block E. They just all failed. Back in the early 1990s Gavidae and City Center were pretty good, so was the downtown Dayton's.

The rallying cry of critics against Block e was that the project only recreated what was already available in the suburbs. A review of the current roster of tenants shows that criticism is true. Sure, Crown Theatres could have built its first Minnesota location among the many other movie venues in the suburbs. Or the 25,000-square-foot Borders Books & Music could have added a location in another suburban power center. Sega and Universal’s 34,000-square-foot GameWorks, a high-tech establishment with black-light bowling and a variety of advanced interactive games, would fit in any well-populated area.

So what?” McCaffery asks. “I find no harm in repeating what is in the suburbs in an urban context.”

I guess that didn't work out so well...

Heartland Real Estate Business

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM

356 posts, read 441,906 times
Personally, downtown lost its shopping and browsing appeal with the advent of the skyway system. The skyways may be a winter time boon to downtown workers, but they've destroyed any street level commercial activity. To me, downtown is little more than a very large mall, but confusing and maze-like.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,694,737 times
The shoppers downtown 20 years ago were primarily office workers shopping on their lunch hours. Downtown stopped being a metro wide shopping magnet in the 50s and 60s across the country. As the workplace changed, lunch hours turned into lunch minutes spent eating at your desk and that was pretty much the end of clothing and general retailing downtown.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,694,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
Personally, downtown lost its shopping and browsing appeal with the advent of the skyway system. The skyways may be a winter time boon to downtown workers, but they've destroyed any street level commercial activity. To me, downtown is little more than a very large mall, but confusing and maze-like.
The skyway system is over 50 years old.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 PM

413 posts, read 788,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The shoppers downtown 20 years ago were primarily office workers shopping on their lunch hours. Downtown stopped being a metro wide shopping magnet in the 50s and 60s across the country. As the workplace changed, lunch hours turned into lunch minutes spent eating at your desk and that was pretty much the end of clothing and general retailing downtown.
It seems like the implicit assumption of this thread is that a vibrant downtown with diverse and unique retail is common in major American cities, and that Minneapolis has failed because it doesn't have that. While obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, I think you can count the number of major cities in the US that have a vibrant downtown with diverse and unique retail on two hands.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,426,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Shopping at malls and strip malls is more easy and efficient than shopping in a downtown retail stores and main street shops so its not really a fair battle.
More easy and efficient? I can reach several times more destinations by foot, bike, or public transit faster than anyone can in a sprawling suburb.

As for the OP, try and find a spot at Brit's or the Local in a Friday night: they're packed. Nicollet Mall is a restaurant and bar destination and that's what's working now. As mentioned before, there just aren't enough small, more affordable spaces: too many large spaces dominate leaving only a fraction of how many places there should be. Some lifestyle centers are more successful in providing dense walkable urban streets than Nicollet Mall. The upcoming makeover will do nothing to address that or reckless drivers speeding on every crossing street.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,655,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
More easy and efficient? I can reach several times more destinations by foot, bike, or public transit faster than anyone can in a sprawling suburb.

As for the OP, try and find a spot at Brit's or the Local in a Friday night: they're packed. Nicollet Mall is a restaurant and bar destination and that's what's working now. As mentioned before, there just aren't enough small, more affordable spaces: too many large spaces dominate leaving only a fraction of how many places there should be. Some lifestyle centers are more successful in providing dense walkable urban streets than Nicollet Mall. The upcoming makeover will do nothing to address that or reckless drivers speeding on every crossing street.
To be fair, the idea of reckless drivers speeding on every street crossing applies even more to Manhattan based on my experience, yet they have no shortage of retail in Midtown. Crossing the streets in Downtown Minneapolis are a cake walk compared to Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,974,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post

At street level around Indy's Circle Centre it's been pretty vibrant as you can see here. The vacancy of Nordstrom has been filled. Inside these buildings on the left you have an atrium that runs down the center connected by skywalks for shoppers to have an option to shop inside rather if it's -5 below or raining outside.
I know skywalks can give any city an advantage when it comes to rough weather to keep the vibrancy inside.
The IDS center the largest inside area to shop along Nicollete?

Source:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KJNjCR8wr8...-centre-01.jpg
Here you can see the skylight covered atrium running down Circle Centre. How much inside area do shoppers have when it comes to staying out of the bad weather for Nicollete? After my trip to NYC I think it would be pretty cool if they could cover the entire side of the parking garage on the left with flashing electronic video screens and billboards like you see in Times Square.

Source:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rcleCentre.jpg
Inside below the skylight. The design was inspired by Cleveland's Arcade (nation's first enclosed urban mall)

Source:http://math.iupui.edu/~indyasa/jsm/I...rclecenter.jpg

In summary, I would like to see downtown retail pull strong. I am a very strong proponent for bringing the crowds from all over the city to a vibrant downtown. Nicollete Mall has plenty of potential to come back even stronger. I believe utilizing both the perimeter street level and inside the buildings on an entire block is key. Right now Chicago, Minneapolis, Indy and Cleveland are the most vibrant downtowns in the entire Midwest. I think we can learn a lot from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul