Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 43,602 times

Advertisements

Hello kind forum folks of Minneapolis.

We are an older black couple with no kids thinking of relocating to Minneapolis. Would love your opinions of those who are familiar with the areas in SF and comparison to what may be best. We are true SF (born and raised) and would like a similar neighborhood.

Whole Foods in walking distance.
Downtown similar to Seattle
Friendly folks who won't be taken back by black gay women

I would like walkability with little shops and cafe's.

Appreciate the input...and would be renting, but no real cap - area most important right now.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM

214 posts, read 300,212 times
Loring Park? That area is essentially just to the south of downtown. There is a Whole Foods on Washington & Hennepin. I would not call it walking distance but it is served by the bus and wouldn't be very far.

There are also nice lofts in the warehouse district/north loop or you could even checkout the Nic on 5th which would be kitty corner from the Library and walking distance to Whole Foods.plus you are on the LRT.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:20 PM

214 posts, read 300,212 times
Luxury Apartments for Rent in Minneapolis, MN | The Nic on Fifth

Loring Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Loop, Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2014, 12:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebuilt View Post

We are an older black couple with no kids thinking of relocating to Minneapolis. Would love your opinions of those who are familiar with the areas in SF and comparison to what may be best. We are true SF (born and raised) and would like a similar neighborhood.

Appreciate the input...and would be renting, but no real cap - area most important right now.

Cheers!
Where are your favorite San Francisco neighborhoods? (I'm familiar with SF; not so much with downtown Seattle). A couple of different options, each a bit different as I'm not entirely sure what kind of vibe you're after:

I'd consider the Whittier neighborhood. It's not within walking distance of Whole Foods, but it's near the Wedge Co-op, and there's a Wedge Co-op branch opening on Nicollet very, very soon. Whittier in many ways reminds me more of SF than anywhere in Minneapolis, I think maybe because it's both relatively urban and because there are lots of ethnic markets and restaurants interspersed with hipsters and more upscale foodie places. This isn't a downtown neighborhood, but it's nearby. It's a mix of old mansions, single family houses, and large vintage apartment buildings; Nicollet Avenue in Whittier is called "Eat Street" because of its concentration of restaurants and markets.

Or go with one of the downtown neighborhoods. The area right by the river (Mill District) is really taking off. You could walk to the Whole Foods on Hennepin Avenue, as well as take advantage of all the interesting activities in the immediate area -- the Guthrie Theater is there, the Mill City Museum, the Loft Literary Center, the Mill City Market (now that feels like SF; it's a farmer's market, and they move a version of it inside the Mill City Museum during some of the winter weekends), and increasing number of shops and restaurants. Lots of condos and apartments springing up down there, both new buildings and in converted old industrial buildings.

Not as convenient to Whole Foods, but the neighborhood directly on the other side of the river from downtown (the St. Anthony area/western part of the Marcy Holmes neighborhood, and often called "Northeast" even though much of it is SE Minneapolis.. just to make things confusing!) is also great. Walkable, lots of shops and restaurants, there's a Lunds grocery store there may keep you just as happy as Whole Foods (and the Whole Foods isn't THAT far away).

You'll fit in just fine as a black lesbian couple in any of these areas (and anywhere in Minneapolis, for that matter.)

Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM

340 posts, read 664,773 times
You might also consider the Uptown area (centered at Lake and Hennepin) -- there are lots of great restaurants and shops. If you are willing to walk a little bit, there is a Whole Foods across Lake Calhoun. Once you arrive, tho, you might prefer the Wedge Coop (as mentioned above) to Whole Foods. The Wedge is located on the 2100 block of Lyndale and is far better than Whole Foods IMO.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
*You don't believe in the sacredness of the traditional Black family (Man, woman and child)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebuilt View Post

Cheers!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
We live in Uptown and I will also heartily endorse this neighborhood! Although admittedly it isn't, as noted above, within walking distance of Whole Foods. Besides the Wedge (on one end of the area) there is a Lund's, which is pretty nice. (There's a Cub in the area, too, but that's a standard non-exciting grocery store, and their produce department currently is underwhelming.)

Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*You don't believe in the sacredness of the traditional Black family (Man, woman and child)?
//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...y-psychos.html

Irony | Define Irony at Dictionary.com

Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

Hello ... I do indeed. This just wasn't a choice for me. I have nothing against anyone of consenting age being in love and choosing who they want as a mate. Thank you for your opinion.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Thank you so much for the quick responses on areas! This was extremely helpful.

The areas in SF that I adore are the Lake areas near the Presidio. I also love the Richmond District out near the VA hospital. I am really a hiker when it comes to walking as I walk from beach to Market street and back.

Of course I appreciate SOMA, but I think I would prefer more of quiet evening and weekend with the ability to poke my head in to a nice neighborhood area similar to Ashbury Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul