Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:20 AM

254 posts, read 458,536 times

Advertisements

Moving from Texas. Basically only own windbreakers. Wife and myself need to buy coats. What kind of coats do people up there usually wear? Is a lined wool coat sufficient or do I need a parka? Any advice on how much to budget or where to shop? Am leaning towards buying online as few places around here keep much stock of winter items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
A lined wool coat is fine unless it's a polar vortex. That is all my dad has worn for as long as I've been alive.
LL Bean is a mainstay.

IMO the best coats are the sort of slimmer cut puffy coats from north face, patagonia, etc. Uni-Qlo makes good one that are cheap:

Men's Ultra Light Down | UNIQLO

I have a puffy coat from patagonia and a gore tex shell from patagonia, which I got at the outlet so the whole setup was $200.

there's no sales tax on clothes in MN and big sales after Xmas so you could save $ just waiting until you get here.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Moving from Texas. Basically only own windbreakers. Wife and myself need to buy coats. What kind of coats do people up there usually wear? Is a lined wool coat sufficient or do I need a parka? Any advice on how much to budget or where to shop? Am leaning towards buying online as few places around here keep much stock of winter items.
you'd be denying yourself the fun perspective of being a Minnesotan if you didn't first try and get by with as light a weight coat as possible if for no other reason than to scoff at the dandys that trudge past in their puffy coats and blizzard face-masks.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you'd be denying yourself the fun perspective of being a Minnesotan if you didn't first try and get by with as light a weight coat as possible if for no other reason than to scoff at the dandys that trudge past in their puffy coats and blizzard face-masks.
Even better if you go with a hat, coat, and shorts.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

906 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
My everyday winter coat is a lined wool coat. Its fine for walking to and from the car. I have a thicker winter coat for snow shoveling or when it gets really cold (negative highs).

You can probably plan to buy a coat when you get here, as there's no state sales tax on clothing in MN. You should keep gloves, hat, warm blanket, and other emergency supplies in your car.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Even better if you go with a hat, coat, and shorts.
It's a good look as long as your age ends in the word "teen." And without the coat, of course.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Bought my wife a Hampster skin fur coat, went to a fair and it took me 3 hours to get her off of the ferris wheel !

Seriously, I like Winter coats that have a zip out lining. Some days you just don't need a heavy coat. A parka is handy to have as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
My everyday winter coat is a lined wool coat. Its fine for walking to and from the car. I have a thicker winter coat for snow shoveling or when it gets really cold (negative highs).
This. You will mostly see people in wool coats, or those slim down jackets that seem to be popular this year. You don't need anything more intense than that if you are just walking from your car into a building. You will probably want a secondary extra-warm coat for activities that keep you outside for an extended period of time.

You can spend as much or as little as you want, really. My partner has a gorgeous wool long coat that cost a pretty penny, as well as an ultra-warm puffy down coat he got at a thrift store for $5.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
I walked my dogs every morning when I lived in Minneapolis, so I was out in all kinds of weather, and I had a long down filled coat for the colder days (0 degrees and below), and an insulated squall jacket for the above zero days. I purchased all my coats online from Lands' End. They have decent coats (temperature rated which is nice to know before you order), good customer service and lots of sales.

I don't like being cold for even a few minutes, but I guess if you don't mind getting chilled, a lined wool coat would be okay just for house to car to work.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Consider a nice pair of serious winter, insulated boots, if you think you will be out in the cold for extended periods of time. A good pair of boots can make a huge difference if you are spending the afternoon sledding or taking the dogs on regular walks. Not that you have to spend a lot on a good pair of boots, but that is one time to not go cheap (or faddish) - a nice pair of winter boots may stick around for a decade or longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul