Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times

Advertisements

Which boots are better for this weather? Style, price, longevity. My wife asked for a pair of ugg boots but these minnetonka boots look great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Which boots are better for this weather? Style, price, longevity. My wife asked for a pair of ugg boots but these minnetonka boots look great as well.
I agree and would get her the Minnetonka boots instead, sometimes we probably know what our wives really want instead of what they ask for. Like the time Mrs. G asked for a gift certificate to a spa and I figured I could get her a 18.8 Volt cordless dril/reciprocating saw combo pact instead. When she opened that package up, she was speechless for about a week or two, great job by me.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
Uggs are more of a "fashion" boot (and I use that term loosely.) They aren't much good in the snow/ice/slush we tend to encounter on a daily basis. Minnetonkas are still generally not great winter boots, but they strike me as more hearty than Uggs.

In the end, someone wearing either brand is probably doing so for looks rather than protection from the elements. I'd go with the ones she specifically requested.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times
she may be mad but i prefer to get her something that can be stylish but she can also walk in. We share one car so when i go to work, she has to walk. Any other boots you can recommend would be great

Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM

264 posts, read 313,889 times
Bearpaws (considered cheap Ugg knock-offs by some) have, in my experience, been sturdier than Uggs and resisted the slush somewhat better, in addition to being significantly cheaper.

Looks like Columbia ladies winter boots have good ratings, but I have no experience with these.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:31 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
I am a big fan of the winter boots by Bare Traps. I embarked on the Great Boot Mission a few years ago when I was working with a political organization. Being out in the snow for 6+ hours each shift quickly taught me the value of a good pair of boots. I settled on Bare Traps because they have a decently high insinuative value while still looking decently nice. I just ordered a replacement pair last week after the first ones started to get a bit long in the tooth.

If you are looking for function only, you can't beat boots designed for winter sports. (ski/snowmobile/etc. boots). If you only care about form, anything you like the look of will do. In my personal opinion, Bare Traps' offerings straddle the line between the two categories. Make sure you get their water resistant insulated winter boots, though. They offer lots of styles of boots and not all are designed to function in actual prolonged winter conditions.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
None of those suede boots can survive the snow, slush, and salt. The suede is damaged/ruined in no time. Suede boots are more for keeping warm inside or maybe just a quick trek out to get the mail. They are not waterproof and will eventually leak and you will probably replace them every year. A dark color will help them look decent longer. They tend to show dirt.

But they are the warmest comfiest thing you will ever put on your feet. Even the knockoffs are not cheap. I have owned them all and they are pretty much the same. Just make sure they have real soles!

For Minnesota winters the best boots ever are Sorels. They are real foot protection, not a fashion statement. They are also expensive but they are waterproof and have removable liners. They are tough! But that means carrying a bag with your real office type shoes for work. If you ever have to dig your car out of a snowbank, you want Sorels, not Uggs. I used to keep my Sorels in the trunk all winter. Just in case.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
she may be mad but i prefer to get her something that can be stylish but she can also walk in. We share one car so when i go to work, she has to walk. Any other boots you can recommend would be great
While I don't live in Minnesota I am a Chicago native who frequently visits Michigan as well during the winter holidays and I have learned to appreciate the warmth, comfort and durability of a good winter boot.

The Ugg boot may be considered fashionable but if your wife needs to walk they may not last long and they certainly will not protect her from the winter weather; just my humble opinion. Good luck finding the 'right' balance between fashion and necessity.

I recently received these boots as a gift and I am very happy to have them!

Bugaboot by Columbia

Women

Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Both are fashion boots and not really functional.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
I agree with pvoyd.....bearpaw I wear them in all kind of weather and they are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul