Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM

120 posts, read 265,101 times

Advertisements

I guess from what I've seen, Minneapolis/Saint Paul doesn't really fall into the 'Rose Nylund' category of what Minnesota is...most of the people I've known from Minneapolis are from other urban areas using their MBA and climbing the corporate ladder until they get transferred to the next larger market area. Once you get outside of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, it's another story, because not everyone has a post-graduate degree or drives a Lexus or shops at Trader Joe's. I think it's like that in any state, but in particular if you are affluent and highly educated there is a lot of money to be made in Minneapolis with all the Fortune 500 companies and such, which is probably why it gives off a really stuck-up feeling - it's not the 'Minnesota Ice' as much as someone else wants to find out who you are and what you have so they can get you out of the way and get it for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM

25 posts, read 40,712 times
Toronto416,

I wasn't sure if your post was meant as a reply to my comment but either way ... I somehow doubt that what you describe is a significant representation of MSP residents. Maybe I just don't want to believe it because we're considering relocating there.

By the way, I only have a bachelor's degree, drive a Nissan, but I would love to have Trader Joe's as an option.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glspringfield View Post
If an outsider can give his perspective ... I haven't lived in MN nor even visited (yet) but I've read a lot about this controversial personality trait and my take is that you all aren't superficial like most people.
well now, that's different....how 'bout this weather, huh?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM

I don't get it. Small talk? I don't see that as the same as being superficial, if that's what you're saying.

What I was referring to is taysantanamama's description, which to me seems like a people primarily interested in meaningful, long-lasting friendships as opposed to having a multitude of "friends" who, when it came down to it, wouldn't be there if you really needed them.

Last edited by glspringfield; 11-19-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
If an outsider can give his perspective ... I haven't lived in MN nor even visited (yet) but I've read a lot about this controversial personality trait and my take is that you all aren't superficial like most people.
Just because, while I am willing to be polite to you and help you, I don't want to be all buddy buddy with you from the moment I meet, that doesn't exactly make me "superficial." I want to get to know you before I decide whether or not we can have a meaningful friendship. Friendship means something to me, and it's not something to be dealt with lightly. You don't get it just because you want it.

And let me tell you, they idea of labeling most people in a place that you "haven't lived...or even visited yet" does not bode well for your prospects. I am not sure you appreciate what it means to be reserved. I'd suggest that you focus on making acquaintances. Perhaps some of them will blossom into friendships, but you're going to have to change your judgmental ways or you'll be writing one of those "nobody likes me" posts someday.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 AM

First of all, I think you should try reading my original post again. I'll give you a moment ...

I was actually trying to defend the reserved nature of MNs by saying you're not superficial. You've been very helpful, Glenfield, and I really appreciate that ... but I have to say your defensiveness caused you to completely misunderstand my point which was, in fact, the same point you were making!

By the way, I'm not the type that is going to get his feelings hurt because someone doesn't want to make fast friends with me. Please slow down and try to understand what a person is saying before you judge them as fragile and insecure. When I said I didn't "get it" I meant that I didn't get what Ghengis was trying to say. It seemed like he/she was saying that small talk was the same as being superficial.

I actually think that I get the reserved thing ... I'm actually quite reserved myself and personally don't see much value in a bunch of casual acquaintances that never go anywhere and that a lot of people mistake as real friendships. No, I'm not from MN (I suddenly feel like I should be apologizing for that) but I wasn't attacking anyone! I'm on your side!

Can anyone else please back me up here!? Sheesh.

Last edited by glspringfield; 11-20-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
I read your post. I interpreted "you all" to mean the person you were responding to and "most people" to mean most people in MN. If that's not what you meant my response was off base.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

"You All" = MNs. Clearly a misunderstanding. I admire and respect what I've learned about MNs but I think I'll stick to the relocation advice posts. Good grief.

Last edited by glspringfield; 11-20-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Ben Around, think of the amount of emotional struggle that would have put us through: "What if we are bothering them?" "What if they have other plans?" The truth of the matter is that we usually give new neighbors a disposable plate or tray of coffee cake or cookies, etc. (after all, it would be presumptuous of us to give them a dish that they would have to return!); introduce ourselves and then back off so we aren't interfering with them!

I can laugh about how this all sounds to someone not raised this way; but this IS the truth about how many Minnesotans feel: we just don't want to force ourselves on other nor do we want them to feel "beholden" to us.

I think taysantanamama describes the exact same sentiments in his/her post.
Since this thread has been revived, I have to say...this is so. absolutely. true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glspringfield
Toronto416,

I wasn't sure if your post was meant as a reply to my comment but either way ... I somehow doubt that what you describe is a significant representation of MSP residents. Maybe I just don't want to believe it because we're considering relocating there.

By the way, I only have a bachelor's degree, drive a Nissan, but I would love to have Trader Joe's as an option.
I think you'll find that most of us are flashy, Lexus-driving (Lexus? Really? I feel like I see a bunch of other luxury car brands more often), sociopaths who want nothing but money and to crush others as we climb the corporate ladder.

Based on my observations being around town, the average person seems to have a bachelor's degree, drive a Volkswagen, and shops at Target.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
"You All" = MNs. Clearly a misunderstanding. I admire and respect what I've learned about MNs but I think I'll stick to the relocation advice posts. Good grief.
Sounds like a variation of "y'all" to me. Minnesotans don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul