Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,465 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Yesterday I was issued with a ticket stating failure to yield for pedestrians. The whole thing was: when I was trying to make a left turn at a 4-way intersection (Snelling with University Ave). The light arrow for left turn was green. There was a car ahead of me with its left turn signal on. The car stopped at the intersection, so I stopped. Then he continued on crossing the intersection and so, I continued. While crossing, the light of the opposite traffic turned green. At the same time two pedestrians were just start stepping on the crosswalk from both side of that crosswalk which I didn't notice them before, but since my car was already turned at the intersection, I couldn't block the intersection but stopped just before the crosswalk. Luckily, there were two police cars in the first row of the opposite traffic! One of the police cars ran into me (because light turned green). This shocked me so I moved again towards the crosswalk. Once I moved, this police car passed behind me and the other police car turned its lights for me to pull over.

The police officer said do you know why I pulled you over? And I said no. He said it was because I nearly hit 2 people. I said I didn’t. I stopped. He said you stopped then you moved otherwise the police car would have hit you! I said yes!

And so … I got a ticket for not yielding for the pedestrians.

I believe this is not my fault. It's either the car ahead of me or the cop's who ran into me. Any idea what can I do about that?

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,930,428 times
you're innocent, don't worry about it

Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,760,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyryan View Post
Hello,

Yesterday I was issued with a ticket stating failure to yield for pedestrians. The whole thing was: when I was trying to make a left turn at a 4-way intersection (Snelling with University Ave). The light arrow for left turn was green. There was a car ahead of me with its left turn signal on. The car stopped at the intersection, so I stopped. Then he continued on crossing the intersection and so, I continued. While crossing, the light of the opposite traffic turned green. At the same time two pedestrians were just start stepping on the crosswalk from both side of that crosswalk which I didn't notice them before, but since my car was already turned at the intersection, I couldn't block the intersection but stopped just before the crosswalk. Luckily, there were two police cars in the first row of the opposite traffic! One of the police cars ran into me (because light turned green). This shocked me so I moved again towards the crosswalk. Once I moved, this police car passed behind me and the other police car turned its lights for me to pull over.

The police officer said do you know why I pulled you over? And I said no. He said it was because I nearly hit 2 people. I said I didn’t. I stopped. He said you stopped then you moved otherwise the police car would have hit you! I said yes!

And so … I got a ticket for not yielding for the pedestrians.

I believe this is not my fault. It's either the car ahead of me or the cop's who ran into me. Any idea what can I do about that?

Thanks for your time!
Next time, notice them before.

In the mean time, pay your fine, And more importantly, take responsibility for your actions/inactions. Not only is it the right thing to do, it's an essential element of learning from your mistakes (which is rather hard to do when you insist that you made no mistakes).

Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,507,376 times
Here is a link that might help you

Minnesota Safety Council: MINNESOTA CROSSWALK LAW

I don't know about the variable added to your situation with the cops coming and you had to move.
Sounds like they should of taken the whole situation into consideration.

You could go down to where you have to pay the fine, then meet with a person to dispute ticket.
I have done that.

Good luck

Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,465 times
Default That's really helpful

Thank you so much. I think I'm going to use this when I plead not guilty before the court.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:48 AM

352 posts, read 439,427 times
I got the same ticket on the same corner a couple of years ago in a similar situation where I was innocent. In my case they had set up a ticket trap where one officer observed and radioed to another who stops you a few blocks away.

I was very upset by this because I'm one of those people who stops for all pedestrians, every time. I won't go into details, but there was no pedestrian in the crosswalk as I turned right on a green light onto Snelling. When I tried to explain this to the cop who stopped me several blocks later all he could say was that he didn't see it, he was only responding to a call from his partner.

To make a long story short you can fight these if you want, and you'll probably win, but it will cost you a lot of time with some repeated visits to the county court house. I couldn't spare the time so I ended up paying the city a $100 fine or so with their agreement to keep it off my record.

It's a matter of time versus money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul