Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

25 posts, read 38,242 times

Advertisements

I guess some people have a job waiting for them when they I arrive in Minneapolis or have the skills where it would be no problem in finding a job.
I don't have a job in place and as for skills or a degree I don't have either. All I've done the past few years is hotel work, not sure how that job market is here. Wondered if anyone had any experience on job availibility, income and if you could substain a life in the twin cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 PM

23 posts, read 86,288 times
Smile response..

I'm not sure where you are located now, but there are several hotels in the cities that are always hiring. I would suggest to start looking online and applying and go for an interview before you moved unless you have a lot of money saved and can take the time to just come without a job. I would think though that you should have a job within a month. There's a good job market, I had three jobs offers within two weeks upon my moving down.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Go the temp agency route. When I was 19 thats what I did, and each assignment pretty much increased my pay and work experience, etc. When I started, I basically had no skills other than dishwashing and customer service. One of my final assignments was the Better Business Bureau in St Paul, and they offered a full time job which I ended up turning down because I had a tech job with better pay lined up.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM

54 posts, read 277,502 times
This is a great site for twin cities job opportunities:

jobsinminneapolis.com

you can find a lot of stuff on there; a lot of my friends found jobs through that site, its like careerbuilder but just for MN

Last edited by p_U_c_K; 01-18-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM

196 posts, read 920,346 times
there's a bunch of new hotels opening this year, and the existing ones are always hiring for something.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
There are lots of nice hotels in downtown Minneapolis, and lots of the employees at various hotels have worked in their positions for quite a number of years, so it can't be too bad in that business. I'm not sure, but I think the union presence is good here, which naturally helps keep things competitive even in non-union joints.

There's a "W" hotel opening soon in the Foshay (I can't wait to see that one!), something going in at the site of the Ivy tower (in addition to condos), there's a new 10 or 12 story one going up at the site of the old MNDOT traffic management center on 4th Ave S between 11th and 12th (by the 12th street entrance to 35W), and there's another one being built in the mill district on Washington Ave S, somewhat near the new Guthrie.

Unfortunately, the downtown Ramada is no more. Did I say unfortunately? Oops! That one needed to go. (Although the people who worked there were actually great!)

Who am I? I'm a spy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul